TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amazing Race Discussion

SharkTums

Even though I am in Australia and we won't have this season broadcasted here probably until the time it wraps up in the States, I am a huge fan of this show and looking forward to its return to our screens - it is by far the best reality television show ever.

Though from viewing the official website - the route map which usually is a map of the world, this time is only a map of North America. So I guess I'm presuming that this series won't see the contestants leaving the North American continent which to me is quite disappointing. I guess this is because the producers may have felt that the children wouldn't be able to cope with jetlag as well as the adults would have and also with teams of four, it means the airtravel costs/accommodation/etc that the show would have to pay out for would be doubled. Hopefully this particular way of running the show will only last this season and next time will be back to the traditional two person format travelling around the world - and hopefully have them travelling back to Australia since they haven't been here since season 4 when they came to Brisbane (my home city, lol).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to watching it..... Sigh.. Did it jump the shark this season? I hope not but it is starting to feel like it. I kept getting the "We are going to make it educational and easy because families are involved" vibe and that just sucks - IMHO this was probably a format change that sounded good when they proposed it but in reality goes against what made the show popular. Perhaps it will get better but for now I will just hold my season 1 dvd close and remember the good times..

OK, the four screaming women need to die.

And the constantly praying mom made the statement of the night, when she said "I think Pennsylvania is a state".

dt

Hee hee, because Pennsylvania is NOT a state, it's technically a commonwealth. (Like Virginia and Kentucky.)

I am withholding judgment. I am not impressed with it so far based on the high quality of previous runs, but I am willing to give it two more episodes. If, after the third, I get distracted from the normally riveting show as much as I was last week, well, it'll be back to me and my books on Tuesday nights.

Wow....

This is the WORST SEASON EVER!!!!

End of episode two and they are still in the U.S.

I now believe the rumor that they are not leaving the States. The MAIN reason I watch the show is to see all the cool exotic locations the people get to and what's it's like getting around.

I don't need to see people heading down US30 going to Lancaster.

I've done that too many times myself!

--Robb "Officially done watching this season." Alvey

Wow...What can I say...they went all the way from Pennsylvania to Virginia in this episode, and couldn't find such out of the way locations like "The US Capitol Building in Washington DC".

I'm just really bummed. I don't know who they're trying to appeal to here but they're losing their core audience. I can only imagine had Robb and I applied and gotten on this show with my family how disappointed we would have been! (although we would have won easily!)

I mean, are they trying to go easy on the families? are they trying to save money? do they think there's a market for this?

Ugh....

Wow....

This is the WORST SEASON EVER!!!!

End of episode two and they are still in the U.S.

Aha, but I am a huge Civil War buff, so tonight's ep was fun that way.

I'm giving it one more week. I think the quality of tonight's ep was a little higher than last's, but still not up to the usual standards.

Wow...What can I say...they went all the way from Pennsylvania to Virginia in this episode, and couldn't find such out of the way locations like "The US Capitol Building in Washington DC".

Dorky line of the week:

"What state is Washington, D.C. in?"

"Ugh" is right.

Um - I think it's going to need a rethink by the producers back to what it used to do best, hmmm? Global yelling!!!

Yesh, I too wasn't really thrilled by it - especially when the US map was shown and the race route started appearing - OMG. Doomed we is.

Well, David is still enjoying it, so the tv will stay scheduled for that Tues.time period. I Do hope there aren't that many non-elimination episodes. Can you imagine if they have four of those, like in previous seasons? Ech.

This season really is a letdown, I drive thru and around DC everyday. Does that deserve a million dollars? Well, sitting in the traffic might be? Plus, those poor civil war reenactors. I would bet some of those guys wish they had real bullets.

I am ok with the whole not leaving USA/North America thing. After 7 Seasons of going around the world, and visiting some spots more than once, there are plenty of great places in our own backyard that are worth visiting.

I also absolutely loved that roadblock. While it may not have been very physical, it sure was fun to watch. ("The Sky is Blue" ...... "I don't know what you are talking about."

So, while the format sure is a bit different, it still feels like The Amazing Race to me, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Which is hilarious because before the season began, I had a lot of trepidation, and I thought it would be horrible, but I'm having tons of fun watching it.

Oh, and the Paolos? They are hilarious, especially Mama Paolo. I'm sure they are gone in a week or two, but they're entertaining.

It looks like they're only going to stay in North America this time around. Which, as many have already said, sucks! Two reasons I've heard for this are production costs (double the amount for plane tickets and such since the teams are bigger) and the potential liabilities of a child getting lost in another country. Personally, I think someone getting kidnapped by some sort of Mayan Death Cult or something would make for great TV ratings, but I might be in the minority on that one.

Having said that, I was not as annoyed by the show last night, as it proved that even if they're in the US, most of these people are still too stupid to get around! How can you not know where Washington DC is? And I was laughing my ass off at the people wandering around the wrong reflecting pool for two hours. But the challenges do really seem to be dumbed down, and it is kind of dull if they only travel a couple hundred miles in an episode.

So it looks like this format change is not successful. Let's hope this is the only family edition ever...

dt

Sorry, gang... I know I am in the minority here, but (and maybe it's because I just got into this show the last go-around-Season 7) I don't have the problem with the format that everyone else is having.

That said, I did find last night's episode a bit boring, but I usually find the second episode of "Survivor" boring too, mainly because you have been introduced to everyone, but no real drama has built yet.

Shari "Thinking the dad w/3 daughters might have a heart attack....would that make it more exciting?" Shoufler

I agree with Dave...

Fine, if they're going to stay in North America, I can deal with that, as some have pointed out, that sure there are some pretty cool places and things to do right here.....BUT...

They really have dumbed down the challenges and road blocks and everything. I mean they're driving like 40 miles at a time, have to exchange briefcases, nothing really challenging or exciting.

I'm sorry, but if you signed up for this show you know what it's like, and you should be expected to be more physical and ready for challenges, not passing out!

As for the reasons, I can't believe that it would be due to production costs as this is one of the top 5 shows on tv and I'm sure they get some pretty sweet deals when it comes to airfare.

Oh well, I'll watch it because it's like watching a bad car accident, you just can't look away and believe how stupid these people are!!!!

^Yeah, I thought the production cost idea was a bit weak, though I do know that the budget for these types of shows is usually pretty low. Then again, it's not like they have to pay actors or anything, and I'm sure they do get great deals on plane tickets. It is really odd to change the format this much.

But like you said, it's a train wreck that you can't help but watch. I'm just hoping they make the challenges tougher as they go along, as they've been pretty weak so far...

dt

Bring'em all up to Canada! That'll challenge them quite a bit, EH?

The money will throw them (look, can I keep the purple Fifty?) not to mention the fact, if they are diverted into Quebec ~~~ there's your International Flava!

Hey - even alot of english-speaking canucks (us) don't go into or near that province too much. (kidding) And it's not even a true Parisian French that is spoken there, so the Canadian slang w/french will REALLY challenge these groups-of-four, heh heh.

Then, there's still Mexico, altho true to what's been already said, the costs of REALLY going 'international' with this, might not happen. Uh huh.

Still, you never know, right? I still like the family with actual kids in it, lol. Theyr'e trying and working their best, compared to some of the other (cough) adult foursomes.

PUH-LEASE do something about the 4 Pink Ladies!!! I beg of you! Stop the torture of their AAAAAALLLSSCREAMMMMMMMMLOOOOOOUDLLLLYAAAAA.

Hmmmph.

OK.... so you know that I am a Reality TV star whore (kinda like a credit whore, only our goal is to see how many wannabe celebs we can meet), and have turned my poor child into the same, right? Well, this weekend is the semi-annual "Reality4Diabetes" fundraiser, and last night Sam and I went to a "Survivor" viewing party with some of the stars of past shows. Not too many in town yet-more will be at tonight's event-but Susan Vaughn and Ray and Deena from AR7 were there. I talked with Susan a while and she said that from what she has heard about the current edition...

They are primarily staying in North America, but are supposedly going to Costa Rica at some point in the race.

What I found MORE interesting (especially since the issue of what CBS spends has come up here) is this..... You know how the pit stops always end up being in this nice locations like a castle or fancy resort? Turns out...they don't stay the night there at all. They bus them as far away as an hour from the pit stop, and then bring them back the next morning. They basically stay in traveler's hostels, just like any common travelers. Susan said that they don't get but a few hours rest since after arriving at the pit stop they get fed, interviewed and then taken to their destination for the night! Thought that was interesting!

I will have lots of photos and more to share after the weekend....

Shari "I want my 15 minutes!!" Shoufler