TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Need "Myths/Wives Tales" about your body on coasters!

Hey everyone!

As I'm sure some of you are all aware I do a lot of work with a lot of theme park and roller coaster television productions, and there is a new concept we are helping out with. In short, this one has to do with "effects of rides on the body" and the myths and wives tales surrounding the things that many of the general public (GP) think.

For example...

"I felt my stomach in my throat" (Does your stomach REALLY rise up under some G forces???)

"That ride made me sweat!" (Do rides themselves actually make you sweat???)

We are looking for the myths and wives tales that people *think* rides do to them. And we need ANY rides! Roller coaster, spinning flat rides, thrill rides, bungee towers, water rides, etc...

Please don't be afraid to shout out ANYTHING you've heard! Sometimes the most CRAZY idea can lead to something compelling on screen!

Thank you to everyone for your help! As soon as we have more details about the show, we will be happy to share!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is in the direction you want, but I've heard these a couple times:

- Riding coasters with high positive G's can shorten your body.

And similar

- Riding coasters with high positive G's speeds up your digestive system.

I have no idea how you would test the 2nd one, good luck with that

Not sure if this is in the direction you want, but I've heard these a couple times:

- Riding coasters with high positive G's can shorten your body.

And similar

- Riding coasters with high positive G's speeds up your digestive system.

I have no idea how you would test the 2nd one, good luck with that

Stuff like this is PERFECT!!!!

I hear the organ displacement argument occasionally which I guess ties in the "stomach in your throat" argument. Someone used to tell me that they didn't ride coasters because they knocked your organs out of their original place due to the floaty feeling (negative Gs) or from knocking you around (lats or pos Gs). Then they took it a step further comparing it to retired football player syndrome and how they are usually in bad shape after their career from repeated knocks and such.

What about the one where couples who want to have a girl should ride rollercoasters a lot before trying for one? Also, I read one about how riding coasters regularly is healthy exercise for your heart due to the adrenaline rush. Wish I could get a workout riding Thunderhead every day instead of jogging two miles!

What about the one where couples who want to have a girl should ride rollercoasters a lot before trying for one? Also, I read one about how riding coasters regularly is healthy exercise for your heart due to the adrenaline rush. Wish I could get a workout riding Thunderhead every day instead of jogging two miles!

Worked for my sister. She and my brother in law were coaster junkies. At Six Flags and Busch Gardens about every weekend. Boom...two daughters.

I always remember the whole if you spit directly down at the top of a loop it will come back and hit you in the face story. It makes sense and was always funny to tell people.

There is also the classic where people think that if the restraints fail they will fall out in inversions...

One thing I would be interested in personally is does a ride get smoother during the day as the ride heats up. I have heard people say that and I usually dismiss it as I know it should get faster but maybe it reduces the impact of most common variations in the track.

Apologies that I don't have anything better.

I black out for a couple seconds on rides with high g's such as Superman at Six Flags Great America and Montu at Busch Gardens, Tampa. Is this a normal thing? I know this happens to a few friends as well as my father. I LOVE roller coasters! Is it a healthy thing that it happens? Even if not, I am riding them (multiple times) anyway.

Glad I live in the land of year round operating hours! -Orlando

Now this is a personal experience at my home park. While riding Fire Dragon one time, my vision went blurry while going down the first drop. I believe it was caused from the entire train vibrating down the track. Never happened to me after that. I guess my myth is can a ride alter your vision because of vibration, forces, etc?

One thing that came to my mind was the idea of having a section on Headchoppers. Debunk the guest myths that you could actually hit the tops of tunnels or coaster structure. Perhaps even a small interview or something with a description on how to design the perfect Headchopper. Personally, I love to hold my hands up as tall and straight up as possible during these elements of a coaster.

I heard in a TV reportage that : "As coasters goes on and on, in a more or less near future, riders might have to wear astronaut suits in order to handle g-forces".

I heard in a TV reportage that : "As coasters goes on and on, in a more or less near future, riders might have to wear astronaut suits in order to handle g-forces".

That doesn't seem fun nor does it seem practical from an economic and feasibility standpoint. Presurized air helmets like fighter pilots wear would be more practicle than astronaut launch suits. Still, I could never see even a future park investing in anything like this. For the G-Forces affecting you body ones, the g-forces on roller coaster are very minimal and there isn't nearly enough sustained forces to the body that cause any internal damage or noticeable change in height. Some of the other ones so far are a bit too rediculous for my tastes so here are some more possible myths.

I've heard mention before that rollercoasters are actually good for your health as your body releases doses of adrenaline during the ride. Not sure if there is any actual research into this but it would be interesting.

Another one I've heard is that park employees occasionally go pick up loose change and money that accumulates under inversions on rides and treat it as a "tip" from the riders.

Lastly, I'm not sure if this really fits but a friend of mine told me Disney World could actually power their park with nuclear energy if they wanted to without restrictions due to some strange clauses that makes the parks an independant city. I'm sure there are a ton of myths about Disney Parks though with all they've got going on.

EDIT:

I've got a few...

I actually get clammy when on drop towers - I really really hate freefalling

Also, my (female) mate said she swears she had an orgasm on a ride 'cos of the negative g's... :s

While queuing once, I heard a chick say the vibrations on some coasters can do that.