TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you think a Shrek themed "Dungeon" could work?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/business/media/dreamworks-plans-interactive-attractions-tied-to-shrek-franchise.html?nl=business&emc=edit_at_20140224&_r=0

DreamWorks/Merlin Plans Interactive Attractions Tied to Shrek Franchise

LOS ANGELES — There are no new “Shrek” movies. “Shrek: The Musical” closed on Broadway. “Shrek 4-D” at Universal Studios Florida now plays second fiddle to a newer animation-based attraction: “Despicable Me Minion Mayhem.”

Fade the ogre? Not if DreamWorks Animation can help it.

The studio and Merlin Entertainments on Monday plan to announce a chain of “interactive entertainment experiences,” the first of which will open in summer 2015 in London and be called “Shrek’s Far, Far Away Adventure.” The introduction of the chain will include five similar attractions to be built in other cities over nine years, said Jeffrey Katzenberg, DreamWorks Animation’s chief executive.

“We see this as a fantastic way to take our world-class characters and repurpose them into new lines of business,” Mr. Katzenberg said in a telephone interview.

Mr. Katzenberg described the envisioned DreamWorks-Merlin chain as “living theater.” Groups of 40 people will go on 90-minute walk-through tours of themed rooms, where actors — some in costume as “Shrek” characters — will perform a comedic script that includes lots of audience participation. Merlin operates a similar chain called The Dungeons, which are a bit like elaborate haunted houses.

Mr. Katzenberg has been on a crusade over the last two years to diversify his independent and publicly traded animation company, which has historically relied almost entirely on two hit movies a year — a risky proposition that can lead to dramatic swings in the stock price.

DreamWorks Animation is pushing hard into television and consumer products. It recently announced a branded line of tablet computers for children and a publishing effort. Its next film, “Mr. Peabody & Sherman,” comes out March 7.

Merlin Entertainments, based in Poole, England, is the world’s No. 2 operator of themed attractions after the Walt Disney Company. Merlin brands include the Legoland parks, the Eye Ferris wheels in London and Sydney, and Madame Tussauds. Merlin notably wants to expand deeper into the United States.

Although “Shrek” by some measures is the most successful animation franchise of all time, the last movie in the series, “Shrek Forever After,” came out four years ago. (A spinoff film, “Puss in Boots,” was released in 2011.) Is the ogre still enough of a draw?

Certainly, said Mr. Katzenberg, noting that the “Shrek” attraction will be built next to the London Eye, one of Europe’s most heavily visited tourist sites. “Shrek is the torchbearer of our company,” he said. “This keeps him fresh, fun and relevant.”

Edited by StealthFan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds very similar to The Doctor Who Experience, as well as that Aliens haunt/experience (where they give you prop guns and you shoot your way through).

That being said, I'm all for it. I haven't been to either the Doctor Who or Aliens attractions but everything I've read about them and seen pics and videos from have been excellent. I think this could end up being very successful.

Shrek is the only DreamWorks animated flick that I cared much for (didn't like the other entries in the series as much). As for how much staying power this franchise has, I'm not sure (I think the Toy Story movies are better than anything in the Shrek series, with the possible exception of the ogre's first flick). But who knows?

The trailers for Peabody and Sherman are not promising.

Oh, I did like Puss in Boots, as well.

Edited by cfc

I don't think it would, if they are real actors in costume. They could be slacking off and not working to their full potential

Wouldn't they then get fired???

I don't think that Dreamworks/Merlin would be operating a show or attraction with a bunch of actors that are slacking off. I mean, it's an entertainment position. You have to audition for it. You're getting paid for the job and if you're not doing your job, you get fired.

I'm SURE there are plenty of wannabe actors who couldn't get work in the West End, but are more than suitable for a role like this. I'm not sure that "slacking off actors" would be a huge issue here, but that's just me.

It was also just my opinion. I guess your right, but I wonder if they would have constant surveillance?

Why are you hung up on the actors? The question Robb asked was whether the Shrek franchise would work/translate well as a "Dungeon". Not if they would be able to hire actors who wouldn't slack off.

Edited by ernierocker

They say they're putting this next to the Eye - I wonder where? The Dungeons are right there already, so I'm curious where their next space is. Maybe they can buy up that arcade that the McDonald's sits above.

As far as bad actors, I would imagine that they'll be just as invested in their parts as the ones at the Dungeons, and that's a good thing.

It was also just my opinion. I guess your right, but I wonder if they would have constant surveillance?

Why are you hung up on the actors? The question Robb asked was whether the Shrek franchise would work/translate well as a "Dungeon". Not if they would be able to hire actors who wouldn't slack off.

I'm not hung up on actors... I am just stating what I think..

Everybody of all ages should have their own Dungeon to go through!

This could work fine. The other "Dungeons of..." is not for (most) young children,

and this is going to be made with families in mind. I just hope they can work

a good ongoing storyline that will keep the groups moving along, including the kids.

If it's close to the Eye and the Aquarium there, it should/could work to be

quite a good chunk of family touring around, without going too far. It would

be easy for a first day's touring in London. Then going all over the place after that.

Since it appears these are going to go in touristy areas, I think it could work if priced and marketed properly. Even though it's been a few years since the last movie, I still think Shrek is relevant enough to draw people to these Dungeons.

They say they're putting this next to the Eye - I wonder where? The Dungeons are right there already, so I'm curious where their next space is. Maybe they can buy up that arcade that the McDonald's sits above.

As far as bad actors, I would imagine that they'll be just as invested in their parts as the ones at the Dungeons, and that's a good thing.

It's going in the location where the London Film Museum was, I may have got that name wrong but it's similar.

County Hall will contain Merlin's SeaLife London Aquarium, London Dungeons, Shrek, London Eye Cinema & Ticket Office. Also in there will be the McDonalds and the Arcade.

Makes sense and with DreamWorks now hinting at Shrek 5 it makes even more sense.

Merlin already do combo tickets and with all the above within a 3 minute walk of each other and do able in a day they'll really cash in. On another note, it's one more thing for me to use my Merlin Annual Pass on!

Regards the actors, it's not been an issue for the Dungeons so doubt it will be for this either.

Absolutely this could work. Shrek still has huge brand recognition. If Dreamworks wants to compete with Disney (and of course they do), they must create and sustain enduring characters. Dreamworks began as sort of a huge middle finger to Disney animation and Shrek (the movie) was the outlet. Shrek is kind of like Dreamworks' Mickey. He's the icon. He represents what Dreamworks represents. They aren't going to let him die. Of course, he does not yet have the global cachet of Mickey, but if you look at Dreamworks marketing it's clear that that's what they want him to be. They want kids wearing the ogre ears. I'm sure they someday aspire to having they're own theme parks, but for now they are in licensing/observing mode. Testing different ventures like this dungeon to see what works. And it will work. Also there's the fact that they're definitely planning on making Shrek 5. SOURCE: http://screencrush.com/shrek-5/

So apparently ‘Shrek Forever After,’ dubbed ‘The Final Chapter,’ wasn’t actually the “final chapter.” As DreamWorks recently announced plans to launch a ‘Shrek’ theme park in London with Merlin Entertainment, DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg revealed that ‘Shrek 5′ will probably happen. In fact, he’s pretty confident in that fact.

Speaking with Fox Business Network (via Variety), which will soon air the interview with Katzenberg today, the CEO stated:

We like to let them [the 'Shrek' movies] have a little bit of time to rest. But I think you can be confident that we’ll have another chapter in the ‘Shrek’ series. We’re not finished, and more importantly, neither is he.

From the time that ‘Shrek’ launched in 2001 till the fourth installment, ‘Shrek Forever After,’ hit theaters, the Mike Myers-led franchise raked in $2.9 billion worldwide. The first film, also starring Eddie Murphy as the dim-witted but lovable Donkey and Cameron Diaz as the princess-turned-ogre Fiona, was adapted as a musical. Adding to this hype is the coming ‘Shrek’ attraction in 2015. Titled ‘Shrek’s Far Far Away Adventure,’ this London-based destination aims to be an interactive experience that will see Puss in Boots, Donkey, Fiona, Shrek and more characters brought to life, and will be the first of six attractions coming in the next nine years.

As for a ‘Shrek 5,’ though fans of the franchise will likely turn out to see a fifth installment, it seems DreamWorks has squeezed every ounce of creative juice out of this universe to create an interesting story. ‘Shrek 2′ so far has the lead in lifetime grosses with more than $441MM, ‘Shrek The Third’ is in second, and the fourth installment is still grossing below the first film. Not to say this is chump change, but what do you think? Would you be interested in seeing ‘Shrek 5′?

Read More: DreamWorks Is Pretty Confident 'Shrek 5' Will Happen | http://screencrush.com/shrek-5/?trackback=tsmclip

Follow Us: Facebook

Visit Us At: http://screencrush.com

EDITED TO ADD: One final thought, the most interesting thing to me about this is that Dreamworks has now had various licensing arrangements with Universal Parks, Merlin, and Sea World. They are very interested in this business.

• 6 months later...

So this attraction I had almost forgotten about until today when I found Merlins 2014 Halloween website http://www.seasonofscares.co.uk

At the bottom of most pages is a banner with the silhouette of Shrek where you can register to find out more information about the attraction when it becomes available.

321194499_ScreenShot2014-09-28at07_18_57pm.thumb.png.c6b01f8bd0f2ebc51352c6210a347f2c.png

Here is an example of the banner.

1474014695_ScreenShot2014-09-28at07_26_41pm.png.9cefc7c4c7196b2ec86282cd036e5efc.png

Oh Shrek will be visiting me personally!

I will be interested to see how this attraction ends up looking. I don't know if construction has even begun yet. Does anyone know?

-Craig