TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Theme Park Souvenir?

Posting recently about Astroworld, has really made me miss that park.

Growing up so close to the park (I grew up in Meyerland, less than 2 miles from the Dome), we always had Season Passes, and spent MANY summers getting dropped off every morning, and spending the days walking thru the Wacky Shack, examining EVERY gag/trick in the Magic Shop, and playing Skeeball, where you won tickets and could trade them in for some wonderful crap.

We got to know some of the operators at Skeeball (both in the Western area near Wagon Wheel, and later in Coney Island right next to the big theatre), and they showed us the "trick" where you could put your quarter in, but not return the handle all the way after pulling it and get several games with multiple balls without re-setting the score!

As a result, we had tons of tickets, and used to bring home all kinds of stuff for my Mom that she "loved" (hey, we were young, we really thought she liked the ashtrays, and other crap)

one thing I think she really DID like -- after all, she kept them for years -- were pieces of the Astroworld China Set.

We were never able to get her anywhere near a full set (those cost a LOT of tickets!), but we did end up with at least 4 plates, a few TeaCups/Saucers, and the Gravy Boat.

I wish she still had them, but they broke long ago . . .

still, I think these were my favorite souvenirs!

(not my pics -- found em online)

What is/were yours (from your favorite park)?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me lately, it has to be my collection of Theme Park CDs.

Mostly from the Disney Resorts, but a few here and there I wasn't

expecting to find. And when I play one, I immediately remember the

visits and times spent at the park(s).

And there's actually some really good music out there, for just playing

at home for background music, etc.

790332460_ResizeofIMG_3120.JPG.8ac16b98acb0a7451597f90fcc125975.JPG

I actually got four CDs from Tokyo Disney Resort, 2013. The middle one was from Fuji-Q Park.

V_11Sarkanniemi_My100thPark.jpg.6195fc657ef0220d018f2e839d85b26f.jpg

Leaving Sarkanniemi Park in Finland, 2009. My 100th park AND they gave us each a CD of park music!

M04alt_Collectibles_Souvenirs.jpg.d7a6ba2b80fda6a10962a816bb6eb307.jpg

The Disney CDs from our visit to Japan in 2011.

Even though I rarely drink, I have at least five shot glasses from when I went to Chicago. I have two Raging Bull, one with just Six Flags Great America on it and a Mt Olympus one I believe. I'll have to find them and post a picture.

For me lately, it has to be my collection of Theme Park CDs.

Mostly from the Disney Resorts, but a few here and there I wasn't

expecting to find. And when I play one, I immediately remember the

visits and times spent at the park(s).

And there's actually some really good music out there, for just playing

at home for background music, etc.

ahhh. .. thanks for these memories!

I LOVE the Disney CD's and have most of them.

but the only one I actually have from the parks is the Box Set of Music from Disneyland.

I need to buy more of the music when I'm in the parks, but I always go to Amazon (or online to find it cheaper). . that's why I don't think of them as "park souvenir". . although I guess they would be.

I have TONS of the Disney books too. . the "Poster Art of Disney Parks" is one I grabbed the moment it became avail. on Amazon, and I LOVE it (glad I got it when it first came out, like most Disney books, it shot up in price on the secondary market already -- over quadruple cover price already!)

I really like my park maps the most. I've got over 400 at this point. My new pin set is pretty sweet too. I just started collecting them this past spring.

I have a couple of Pins i've picked up at DisneyWorld (usually related to Haunted Mansion or "Nightmare Before Christmas").

I tend to go for the glowing ones, or the ones that move.

my partner is thrilled I never got the bug to collect the pins. . LOL. . . as I tend to be a completest, and he'd KILL me for dragging him into every Pin-booth if I was.

I really don't have any park maps (until recently with the Bag o Crap), but I do have an Astroworld one from ~1976 (yep, Marvel McFey!) that's moved with me from every home since I first got it. No idea where it is. . I suspect in one of the many boxes in the closets or in the attic. . but I know I ALWAYS have packed it when moving, and haven't thrown it out)

Souvenir park maps have always been my favorite through very very few parks sell them anymore. Park map and guides I do like to collect as a souvenir.

I remember when they used to give them away!. . the giant unfolding ones.

I don't mind the little pamphlet maps they hand out now, but I did really like the big unfold-able ones. Particularly the ones that were "waterproof"

I liked the Disney die cast ride attraction vehicles. They were cheap enough (I think they were $6) to collect and I liked having the ride vehicles on display. Sadly they stopped making them around 7 years ago.

This is just one of the many ride vehicles they had (not my picture).

Well, honestly, what I have in my house is a "Collection of Collections" heh heh.

And that's from buying and keeping the stuff for well over 40 years now!

So, there's a Thread here somewhere, about my mug/cup/glass collection, and

I've just posted a few of the Theme park cds I pick up from tour to tour.

And here's most of my book and video collection - mostly about Disney Parks, but here

and there, a few exceptions found. Like the recent "Knotts Preserved" book. I usually

buy them when they are first offered and don't wait around too long before they become

scarce and "rare."

EDIT to add: I realize most of all of this isn't really "bought at the parks" souvenir type stuff.

But honestly, it's as much a big part of my over all Theme Park Enjoyment, as any CD, pin,

t-shirt, mug, etc.

DisneyBooks-01.jpg.853cf806f71d3f8b9521c78de7cb120f.jpg

The big original Disney Book of Animation is there on the far left, under the ivy. I also got the Disney Paris book at DLP in 2007 when it was first released. Different Milestone Books, mostly of Disney. And Inside Story by Randy Bright.

DisneyBooks-02.jpg.6616de61a67ad81fe47636cf548384ad.jpg

A bit closer look at some of the titles. I have both the Imagineering Books; some guides of parks, Official and Non- ; the two on POTC and Haunted Mansion; lots and lots to browse through and enjoy.

DisneyBooks-03.jpg.0aeee8ac70f13dd9b531efd63fba05c0.jpg

Smaller books, some videos. Including the History Channel's look at WDW; the making of ZED in TDLR; the metal cases hold the tv coverage of DL's 1955 openings and stories and history of other things in the Main Park.

^^ Cool!

I was gonna ask you if you had the Disneyland Paris book, and then you brought it up

I've never been, but the copy of the book I have (from Amazon, I believe..it's been a long time since I bought it) came with "tipped in" plates of the park.

is that the same as the version you bought in the park?

^ Yes. It has those in it. (looking at it now)

OMG, I totally forgot about this! DLP was celebrating it's

15th Anny, and me and David went for our (then) 35th Anny.

And I knew about it and was ready to buy it - the book came out

the month we were there! And I got a First Edition, April 2002,

English Ed...for....45 Euros?

I luvs my hobbys. LOL!

^ Yes. It has those in it. (looking at it now)

OMG, I totally forgot about this! DLP was celebrating it's

15th Anny, and me and David went for our (then) 35th Anny.

And I knew about it and was ready to buy it - the book came out

the month we were there! And I got a First Edition, April 2002,

English Ed...for....45 Euros?

I luvs my hobbys. LOL!

very, very cool.

drools with envy.

My favorite "find" is that I did pick up the *HUGE* EPCOT book (from the early 80s), recently used from Amazon. . . for $3 + $4 shipping.

I think it's going in the $80s range for a used copy if you can find one.

Terribly outdated at this point, but loved looking at the old pics from it!

^ Yep. Heh heh, got it when it first came out in 1982.

AND the accompanying ABRIDGED version of the coffee table

version - which was widely sold throughout EPCOT and WDW.

It also came out in 1982, since Disney wisely thought a smaller

version would sell more. And - it did!

IMG_4277.JPG.7ae40413d53f74ee211cb7b814a5c0c2.JPG

Left, Original Big "Mickey" Book; right, the "Minnie" for visitors in the parks, to buy on the spot. Not as heavy as... (o;

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Yep. Heh heh, got it when it first came out in 1982.

AND the accompanying ABRIDGED version of the coffee table

version - which was widely sold throughout EPCOT and WDW.

It also came out in 1982, since Disney wisely thought a smaller

version would sell more. And - it did!

hehe

so jealous!

I think my favourite has to be the bobblehead statue of Shiriki. I also have an old sensor from Oblivion that was given to me but that's not exactly a souvenir that was purchased.

I also really like the small models of ride vehicles that Tokyo Disney sell.

I mostly buy keychains from parks as I collect them and have 2000+!

^ I have a lot a few theme park related ones and then the majority are just random keychains from different places and people so don't really link in here.

I could post the theme park ones in a topic somewhere if people wish.