TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Coaster Layout

Superman ROS at SFA. "Two gigantic helices right in a row! What fun!"

This. I also don't like the long straight sections. They could have totally fit a couple more hills in the ride layout. Or taken the hills in the middle of the straight sections & made them double-up, double-down hills. That would have been sweet.

Six Flags budget cuts perhaps? They get the height & speed (add material). without doing much else.

The few hops towards the end do some justice for the ride though.

Your'e going to have to dish out more than $12m for a decent Intamin hyper. You get what you pay for.

Example: Bizzaro & Skyrush both were a $20m investment.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Flags budget cuts perhaps? They get the height & speed (add material). without doing much else.

The few hops towards the end do some justice for the ride though.

Your'e going to have to dish out more than $12m for a decent Intamin hyper. You get what you pay for.

Example: Bizzaro & Skyrush both were a $20m investment.

(Superman:) Ride of Steel does have some giant helices, so I understand your criticism on that. However, look to Darien Lake's Ride of Steel for a good explanation why there is a lengthy straight section. That straight section is right over a pond, so you do get a neat feeling of increased speed and a cool breeze as you pass closely over the water. In terms of the clone at SFA, yes that straight section is pretty pointless as the setting is a plain grassy field. Everyone has their opinion, but I'm just offering some context of probably why the straight section is there instead of just blindly criticizing Six Flags which is, in many cases, the cool thing to do around here.

^ They shouldn't of went with a clone if the environment was a factor in the first one. They could of at least wen't a slightly modified / original layout. But more on topic: the layouts are still rather bland. I'm assuming they were going for a "speed" coaster. Missed the mark on that one. If only this was a woodie, RMC could do wonders with it. Camelbacks would be great replacements for those flat spots, such wasted potential.

I aso agree about Anaconda. Probably the worst layout though is Hurler. The turnaround after the first drop is a terrible idea in my opinion, and the turns were not continuous nor smooth.

If Hurler was not trimmed so badly after the first drop, I'd like it a lot. But until that happens, Rebel Yell and Grizzly are collectively one billion times better than Hurler.

Anaconda isn't a "bad" ride, the loop/immelmann combo is awesome, the double corkscrew gives me great hang-time, it's just those two strange helices and that curved drop in between the two that if you're not prepared for it, KILLS your neck.

I sort of agree SROS at SFA could have a better layout. It doesn't mean it isn't a great ride. Remember, SROS at Darien Lake was the NUMBER ONE steel coaster in the first Mitch Hawker steel poll. The first year SFA's was in the poll it was number 8. Sure times change a bit, and if it were to come out today I might want something more. I just don't know how so many people can dislike a ride with ejector airtime on like five hills.

I haven't ridden it in a few years, but I would expect it STILL performs a lot better than a lot of the B&M hypers and Wingriders, etc that have came out in recent years.

As for me, the worst layout in my boom would have to be Ninja at SFOG. For one, it looks like someone just took some metal, balled it up and threw it over a lake. When you look at a pic, you have to take a second and third look just to figure out the course of the coaster. Its just one big mess of track and those head choppers scare the crap out of me. I think it was one of Vekoma's 'rushed' designs.

I am glad they painted the supports black though. It makes it a little easier to look at but those GASM trains? Who's idea was that?

I think the coaster has such a strange layout because it was first designed to be installed on a pier, and it did when it was Kamikaze on the former Hunt's Pier in Wildwoods. It was relocated not long after its opening (like 3 years). Of course on Piers real estate is important so Vekoma placed a lot of track and weird supports on a very small plot of land.

^ I don't think that coaster has "bad" design, it's a crazy mess of steel and you don't know where you're going next, that's great! Bad design would be the random bit of Shockwave at Drayton Manor that's just a straight piece of track connecting sections of the ride.

^The layout is terrible for a Vekoma built ride.

Actually, the Boomerang is a quite innovative layout, at least it was. Then it became cliche. Think about it - what other layout combines GP-attracting inversions into such a tiny space. It might not be the "best" layout, but it is a layout that can suck in an unfamiliar GP.

Vekoma Boomerangs

The layout is great (considering size). The problem is Vekoma...

I get that Boomerangs are rough (most of them, at least) but if you think the layout is great then why did you post it in the "Worst coaster layout" thread?

^But then he said it was terrible. So, I guess he thinks the layout is both great and terrible. Yes, I'm confused.

^The layout is terrible for a Vekoma built ride.

how about good layout, bad engineering? it's not like 90s SLC Vekomas would have been smooth if only they had a different layout. furthermore, i bet you could smooth out those transitions and redesign the trains and have a very smooth ride.

Anaconda at Kings Dominion belongs on any list of "worst coaster layouts."

Seriously--what the hell is this mess all about? Not only does it look ugly, it also clunks and bangs and rattles, then gives you a shot to the jaw as it crawls through its corkscrews.

I wonder what could be done to change this.......kinda like Kennywood did with the Phantom. Maybe eliminate that dumb butterfly contraption and add some other element.

I wonder what could be done to change this.......kinda like Kennywood did with the Phantom. Maybe eliminate that dumb butterfly contraption and add some other element.

man, i am with you -- modifying that one stupid element would make the ride 100 times better, but it's not going to happen. Kennywood was in a totally different situation - Steel Phantom was their biggest, newest coaster. it HAD to be great to bring people in. also it was 14 years ago. Anaconda is far closer to obsolescence than the Steel Phantom was then. we are frankly lucky the workers out there have in their hands paint brushes rather than blow torches.

• 2 weeks later...