TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Coaster Layout

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excalibur. A lift hill, a banked turn and then a figure eight and right back to the station. With only 2400 feet of track they wasted half of it on the figure eight when it could/should have been used more wisely. With this layout and the old school boxed trains going through the figure eight it gives you that jerky ride everyone is looking for as a bonus.

I don't hate this layout, but without the little bunny hop they took out after its first few years, the straight away after the drop is a little weird.

^I actually think Goudurix has a rather original layout, and the butterfly element does, in my opinion, have some potential it's just he coaster itself that (due to its roughness) is crappy.

Ok maybe not the whole layout is crappy, but that inversion looks so odd !

As for coasters I've ridden, I'm going to say Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis. Not only is it horribly rough, the layout sucks.

The ride itself isn't that bad. Painful? Yes, but bearable if you get in a brace position. The layout could also be worse... right?

The layout does suck. It has random turns and drops that increase the roughness of the ride and it exits the second loop horribly. Yes, the layout could be worse, but for the rides I've been on, it is the worst.

Anaconda looks dreadful! The first portion was okay but after the MCBR it looks like it was thrown togeather on RCT

I know, I have no idea what Ron Toomer was thinking with those two weird helices after the brake run.

On the flip side, the corkscrews gave me pretty good hang-time.

Goliath (SFMM) may not have the worst layout, but I think it should be mentioned on here. It's drawn out so much that it makes the coaster "meh".

I definitely agree with this. The single airtime hill just gives a tiny bit of floater air at best and then once it it's the brakes, the rest of it is meh. I'd take an airtime filled hyper coaster from B&M or Intamin over it any day.

Anaconda looks dreadful! The first portion was okay but after the MCBR it looks like it was thrown togeather on RCT

I know, I have no idea what Ron Toomer was thinking with those two weird helices after the brake run.

Coat hangers + Dementia

Anaconda at Kings Dominion belongs on any list of "worst coaster layouts."

Seriously--what the hell is this mess all about? Not only does it look ugly, it also clunks and bangs and rattles, then gives you a shot to the jaw as it crawls through its corkscrews.

ok i know this is an unpopular opinion, but the first half of Anaconda is actually a smooth and fun ride! also, the second half was much smoother before they turned the MCBR up to eleven at some point in the 90s. it actually used to take those corkscrews pretty fast. the spaghetti bowl part was never smooth, but there wasn't all that banging and clanging when it was taking the course at the speed it was designed for.

check out the 7:45 mark of this video.

I aso agree about Anaconda. Probably the worst layout though is Hurler. The turnaround after the first drop is a terrible idea in my opinion, and the turns were not continuous nor smooth.

Edited by yay101

The turn into the mid course on that video looks like some kind of sick joke. Does it still take that turn at that speed or is there a trim somewhere in the first half?

it still does that, there are no trims on the first half. it's not too bad really. well, at least compared to the rest of the ride!

I hope this doesn't sound weird and mean, but I don't like the layout of the first half of The Beast. The ride itself was just okay, and the first half was extremely boring. It just meandered through the trees, straight track, and hills with no airtime. I understand that it is a very historic and famous coaster, and it wasn't a terrible coaster, but I think it could have been much more exciting. Maybe it was because I went in line thinking it would be one of the most epic roller coasters of all time. Now the second half on the other hand...

Even for a kiddie coaster, that's pretty bad.

I don't think this ride should classify as a roller coaster. It doesn't even have a hill ! Put it flat on the ground and it would be considered a kiddie train attraction.

Even for a kiddie coaster, that's pretty bad.

I don't think this ride should classify as a roller coaster. It doesn't even have a hill ! Put it flat on the ground and it would be considered a kiddie train attraction.

Hey, I have been on that thing. Dont underestimate the laterals through those turns!

I would list the two RCCA woodies in Spain; Coaster Express and Magnus Colossus. Two large wooden rollercoasters and all they do is roll around long turns and shallow hills. Particularly Magnus Colossus is in an amazing location, but the layout barely makes any advantage of it.

I would say that Superman: Ultimate Flight at Over Georgia is significantly better than the others layout-wise. It was the first of the clones to be built and was actually tailored to the environment.

This...

Its what makes the SFOG clone just a little better than the others. I still think it should be longer but I guess Six-Flags wanted something that wouldn't take up too much space. Thankfully they came to their senses with Tatsu.

As for me, the worst layout in my boom would have to be Ninja at SFOG. For one, it looks like someone just took some metal, balled it up and threw it over a lake. When you look at a pic, you have to take a second and third look just to figure out the course of the coaster. Its just one big mess of track and those head choppers scare the crap out of me. I think it was one of Vekoma's 'rushed' designs.

I am glad they painted the supports black though. It makes it a little easier to look at but those GASM trains? Who's idea was that?

Ninja/Kamikaze is one of my favorite coaster layouts, at least to look at. I'm a big fan of cramming as much track into as little space as possible, it's one of the reasons why I like looking at Gröna Lund so much.

Superman ROS at SFA. "Two gigantic helices right in a row! What fun!"

This. I also don't like the long straight sections. They could have totally fit a couple more hills in the ride layout. Or taken the hills in the middle of the straight sections & made them double-up, double-down hills. That would have been sweet.