TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

What coasters do you consider to be the most rough ones?

The most rough coaster I have ever ridden is El Condor at Walibi World. This is the very first Vekoma SLC. However I don't mind it being rough. It is not as bad as other enthusiasts claim it to be. Perhaps I haven't experienced any "really" rough coaster yet.

Is Manhattan Express that bad? From the video it seems to be a horrible ride. How does it compare to boomerangs or SLCs? Is it because of the restraints?

Well, share your thoughts.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO there are two kinds of rough:

1. Bone Jarring Spine Adjustments that you get from some woodies and

2. Bash-Your-Head-Apart rough that a lot of SLC's, etc are famous for.

At the end of the day, there aren't THAT many coasters that are so rough I wouldn't ride a second time, but there are a lot that I would skip if it weren't for friends wanting to ride.

--Robb

Still haven't met one that i would never ride again. Just crazy I guess.

My crap list:

Tomb Raider - PCW

Top Gun - PCW

Hurricane Cat 5 - Pavillion

Villian - Geauga Lake

Most of the other rough coasters I have experienced I just found to be funny. I remember riding T2 for the first time at SFKK, and my friend and I were in stitches by the end. We just laughed ourselves silly.

I did not think "El Condor at Walibi World" was rough, it was not bone-jarring , the worst bit was going through the the heart shape element at the start. As it is the prototype of its generation then I guess it had to have its rough places as these can be smoothed out in future rides.

SOB was rough, They should of asked Custom Coasters or S&S to create the massive ride.

My hands went numb after the 1st Helix, but I would def re-ride.

Out the one’s I can remember that’s I really hated.

Goudurix - After mine 1st ride wasn’t to bad was hoping for worst then 2 more goes, the true pain came Owww

Gauntlet - One Of the Worst Pinfari Looper I done.

Jubilee Odyssey - £4 for torture for a minute or so . Also wouldn’t pay how much FL payed for this, What a waste

Super Wirbel - Looks well looked after, don’t let that fool ya. Never had mine neck banged so much, Found it more rougher than AT'S Corkscrew.

El Condor – After getting attack by the trees and mine back whip/banged round in no hurry to ride again.

Volare (Prater) was an awful ride that I never want to ride again. So much headbanging through the turns. The rolls were okay though.

I couldn't agree more, it was weird that the Vekoma Boomerang there wasn't rough at all.

Python at Busch Gardens Tampa, had enough headbanging to crack a diamond, seriously if you do want to ride that old Arrow Corkscrew bring 2 pillows.

Psyclone SFMM is a ride I won't ever ride again - can't think of a single saving grace -I guess we just didn't hit it off - or rather we did connect way too many times - there was a sort of leg breaking interaction between me and the restraint and the most amazing (amazingly bad) square wheel experience.

never been on anything like it (HURRAH) but get this - I really rate Son of Beast - so who can tell

SteveC

I'd have to say the late, not lamented Drachenfire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. The first time I rode that bad boy my head was throbbing, my stomach was threatening to leap up my throat and throttle my brain for doing something so foolhardy, and I had two huge bruises on either shoulder from where the shoulder harness ratched down on the first drop.

I'm not as experienced as most of y'all, though.

Python at Busch Gardens Tampa, had enough headbanging to crack a diamond, seriously if you do want to ride that old Arrow Corkscrew bring 2 pillows.

Really? I've been on it a 1,000 times probably, and it never bothered me. Neither has Gwazi, which is also said to be very rough. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for it? Maybe.

Psyclone is HORRIBLE, that random turn after the second to last turn killed me. I was in the back and cussing about how bad it hurt, and the rest of the train was laughing at me

I rode 5/6 six times in a row, four of those in the back without getting out. It's become one of my favourite coasters - it has pure old style character to me.

It probably depends on what coasters you grew up on as an enthusiast, in other words what coasters got you into coasters, so to speak - as an avid Grand National rider, Psyclone is my type of ride experience.

Son of Beast is definately the roughest I've been on. The thing is just incredible. It's the one of two rides that I refuse to ride anywhere but the front on, because anywhere else is just too rough. The front is bad enough.

Texas Giant is pretty bonejarring. It's the other coaster that I won't ride in certain spots on. Just can't handle it. The pain just takes to much of the fun away. Nevertheless, this is one of the best coasters I've ever been on though.

Georgia Cyclone is my third nominee. It's a lot like Texas Giant only it hasn't crossed the threshold of being so painful that it takes the fun away.

I don't really have many problems with steel coasters.

Riding Batman and Robin The Chiller at SFGADV felt like getting punched in the head by a heavyweight before they removed the shoulder restraints. The only ride I've ever been on where you would hit your head on a straight section of track, at the end of the launch when the train would catch up to the wave sent down the track. I've seen people in tears getting off that ride. However, since the trains were reworked with the new lap/leg restraints, it's a completely different ride and not rough at all. I've been on Outer Limits at PKI with the old restraints and got beat up as well; I wonder how it rides with the new trains.

I've been on Outer Limits at PKI with the old restraints and got beat up as well; I wonder how it rides with the new trains.

Lapbars sure helped Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion: "Now with 25% fewer concussions and aneurysms!"