TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the SLC and the wooden coaster, both at Movie Park in Germany. Also Furious Baco is painful, but that is just through vibrations rather than headbanging. It's a horrible sensation though. Goudurix was fairly bad of course, but at least when I rode it there were just a couple of brutal bangs rather than it being constant.

I've experienced three rough coasters and they are Flight Deck, Time Warp, and Wild Beast. I just don't understand how such an amazing park such as Canada's Wonderland can have three completely unenjoyable coasters. Canada's Wonderland should improve upon them or just get newer (or better) models of the coaster. I know when Flight Deck was opened back in 1995 as Top Gun, there was a ban in place created by Cedar Point not to build a B&M inverted coaster at any parks within a certain radius of their park as Raptor had opened in 1994. So, Canada's Wonderland didn't want to wait a couple of years so, they decided to go to Vekoma with their newly created SLC as they started manufacturing them in 1994. Hopefully one day Canada's Wonderland receives a B&M inverted coaster as they're just amazing and enjoyable to ride compared to the head bashing SLCs. I'm surprised Flight Deck was able to see its 20th year this year. I wonder how much longer it will last? As for Time Warp it opened up in 2004 as Tomb Raider: The Ride. I think the park should have gone with B&M or Vekoma instead of building a cheaper and uncomfortable flying coaster by Zamperla. I think the Volare model would be better if there was more padding in the cars and the banked turns had a smoother transition. The only good thing about Time Warp apart from getting off are the barrel rolls. Now, for Wild Beast, the last and only time I had rode it was back in 2010. It is quite rough and unenjoyable. I know they've done some re-tracking during the 2014/2015 off-season but, that was only on the first drop. I'm too traumatized to get back on. But, I do ride Mighty Canadian Minebuster and Ghoster Coaster and have been on other wooden coasters outside the park such as The Racer and Woodstock Express at Kings Island back in July of 2014 and I've also been on Thunderhawk at Dorney Park back in June, which was quite enjoyable. So, hopefully we will see the replacement of Time Warp, and Flight Deck with B&M versions of those coasters and a complete re-track of Wild Beast. Does anyone know how Wild Beast rode this year compared to 5 years ago? If it's as smooth as Mighty Canadian Minebuster (which I highly enjoy) then I may consider riding it again.

Probably was Son of Beast. I made sure I rode in the front half of the coaster where it wasn't as rough but it banged you up, but oh boy was that still my favorite wood coaster! I really wish they didn't tear it down and I wish people with bad backs didn't ride. If SOB lasted a few more it could had been made into a hybrid coaster. I'm still sad every time I think of what could had been with Son of Beast.

I also ride The Beast in the front half too. That's very rough also.

Probably was Son of Beast. I made sure I rode in the front half of the coaster where it wasn't as rough but it banged you up, but oh boy was that still my favorite wood coaster! I really wish they didn't tear it down and I wish people with bad backs didn't ride. If SOB lasted a few more it could had been made into a hybrid coaster. I'm still sad every time I think of what could had been with Son of Beast.

I also ride The Beast in the front half too. That's very rough also.

I'm pretty sure SOB had structural problems.

My (current) threesome are:

That SLC at Walibi Holland. (I refuse to remember it's name)

Bandit at Movie Park Germany.

Anaconda at Walygator Parc.

Runner up: Space Mountain at DLP.

By far Racer at Kings Island. Not sure if we just rode this coaster on a bad day, or if the train had nothing but square wheels, if we got a bad seat... But it was seriously hands down the roughest roller coaster we have ever ridden. Bad enough that neither of us will ever ride it again. It gave us a migraine for the rest of the day and kind of ruined what could have been a great visit to the park.

Invertigo at Kings Island. Nothing else I've ridden comes to being as rough as this ride. They might as well rename it to Car Wreck Simulator.

Really? I thought Invertigo was great when I had rode it last year for the first time last year. Maybe you find it rough because you possibly haven't rode a Vekoma SLC before?

Invertigo at Kings Island. Nothing else I've ridden comes to being as rough as this ride. They might as well rename it to Car Wreck Simulator.

Really? I thought Invertigo was great when I had rode it last year for the first time last year. Maybe you find it rough because you possibly haven't rode a Vekoma SLC before?

I'm with you on this one. We didn't find Invertigo rough at all. We actually found ourselves wanting to ride it again.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

That's funny, I didn't have a bad back until after I rode Son of Beast. One time only ride, I guess?

That's definitely the worst I've ever been on. Although my local SLC, Kong at Discovery Kingdom, is pretty awful too.

I'm with you on this one. We didn't find Invertigo rough at all. We actually found ourselves wanting to ride it again.

Yeah, I rode it twice during my visit last year. Some people just find anything that moves to be rough!