TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

Call me crazy.

My least favorite experience on a ride aside from any Boomerang, Corkscrew at CP, and Time Warp at CW was Gatekeeper at CP just recently.

I'd rather get thrown around in my seat and bang my head around then be rattled around with the coaster car. With the tight restraints I stayed pinned in so my whole body just shook in place and I felt my eyes bouncing around in my head.

Not enjoyable. Yet that's only happened to me once; it was about a week ago.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top three

1. Goliath SFNE- it went from being one of the best rides in the park to the worst. It's really one of the only coasters that I can't tolerate anymore....it's just tad worse than....

2.Apocolypse SFA- Good God was this thing horrible. Just smashes your ears the entire ride. Worst stand up ever.

3. Thunderhawk Dorney Park- Not the worst ride ever but it was just too rough. They need to do some work on it.

This past weekend I went on Anaconda and Shockwave, two rides that constantly get bashed on. I really don't understand why. They both gave solid, re-ridable rides. Anaconda especially. Obviously their "roughness" didn't affect their popularity, as they were some of the most popular rides in the park. Everyone coming off them seemed to be happy and satisfied. Plus the opperations were good on both, the lines moved quick.

My top 3 roughest rides

1 Thunderhawk at Dorney Park, ugh I would rather deal with Grunty Industries from Banjo-Tooie than ride this piece of garbage.

2 Sidewinder at Hersheypark, just not a fan of Vekoma Boomerangs.

3 Mean Streak, when I rode this in 2008, it shook me up real good, and was not very pleasant.

This past weekend I went on Anaconda and Shockwave, two rides that constantly get bashed on. I really don't understand why. They both gave solid, re-ridable rides. Anaconda especially. Obviously their "roughness" didn't affect their popularity, as they were some of the most popular rides in the park. Everyone coming off them seemed to be happy and satisfied. Plus the opperations were good on both, the lines moved quick.

Finally. Someone who understands the pain threshold. Shockwave > every B&M standup - Georgia Scorcher. Anaconda was nearly as smooth as Lock Ness, the only difference being the jarring butterfly turn. Both were also smoother than Alpengiest...

I must add The Racer at Kings Island to my list. We recently got to ride The Racer, and it was awful. The first drop was tolerable, but everything after that was awful. We rode it once and it seriously ruined the rest of the day. We both got off the ride with a killer headache, that wouldn't go away for the rest of the day. Maybe we just had a bad ride, but it was seriously one of the worst coasters we have ever been on.

3. Superman Ultimate Flight SFGAdv

Is it just me or this coaster was actually pretty smooth when I rode it (in 2012)? I might have missed something but I wouldn't classify it as "rough".

1. Manhattan Express

2. Any Stand-Up...(but feel free to insert Rougarou here as well)

3. Superman Ultimate Flight SFGAdv

4. Orient Express (WOF)

5. Mean Streak

6. Old Twister @ Elitch Gardens

7. New Twister @ Elitch Gardens

8. Hades 360

9. Any and all Arrow Loopers

Tennessee Tornado, their "too little too late" looper, wasn't at all bad when I rode it last week. The only problem was it was insanely short, even more short than your average two loop and corkscrew variation. If only Arrow could have made rides like this ten years earlier.

• 2 months later...

I will agree with others about Gwazi. It was so bad that my wife actually got mad at me for letting her ride it. One of my worst memories though was of the old Viper at SFGA. After I rode it I made the statement that it should be removed in the next few years. Sure enough...

For wood I'l say Ghost Rider. It was so bad I pulled a muscle under my shoulder blade, good times, Im glad its being refurbished.

And for steel El Condor at Walibi Holland was so bad, SLC's are rough anyway but this was on a whole other level, I thought they tested out the vest restraints on it to make the ride more comfortable back along, but on my visit there a few weeks back there were no vest restraints just painful ones.