TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughest coaster I've ridden so far is Demon at SF Great America. I don't think Demon is an "Arrow Death Machine" like some have suggested, but it is still a relatively rough coaster. During the second vertical loop, I banged the back of my head on the headrest pretty hard. Also, the transition into the corkscrews is quite jerky. I actually do like Demon as a whole because it has it's moments, and the tunnel is cool, but it just isn't as smooth as other coasters in the park.

image.thumb.jpg.463279e8bd026f071b08e2e840dd1feb.jpg

Ouch.

For me they would be the new Thunderbolt at Coney Island, and Goliath at SFNE. Both fall into the category of "Torture Devices" for me.

You know it's bad when the first element is SO painful, and you realize that you have to go through the WHOLE circuit afterwards!

Honorable mention would have to go to Son of Beast, which I was so excited to ride in its first season, only to be bruised on my front and back seat rides...

Rode Mean Streak the year it opened but not since then. Was there last month but skipped it based on the negative reviews these days.

Went to Kings Dominion this summer. Hurler and Shockwave are my votes for wood and steel. I was at Cedar Point last month but skipped Mean Streak. Rode that the year it opened so I wanted to preserve my appreciation.

• 7 months later...

The one at Hotel New York in Vegas was really, really bad last year. Coaster Express in Madrid is a shaker, to say it softly. Oh and X2 at SFMM was maybe having a really bad day, when I was there last year.

• 1 month later...

As of June 2015, the roughest coaster I have ridden is Invertigo at Kings Island. Even though I was sitting in the front row (facing forward) and riding it defensively, my head still got banged around a lot, and I blame it on those horrible Vekoma restraints. It wasn't torture, but it was not pleasant at all. If it had better restraints, it could become a decent ride since there was some intensity, but in its current state, I have no reason to ride it again.

image.thumb.jpg.117a4d9cddc53448a901998de7d4d05d.jpg

Ouch: The Ride

As of June 2015, the roughest coaster I have ridden is Invertigo at Kings Island. Even though I was sitting in the front row (facing forward) and riding it defensively, my head still got banged around a lot, and I blame it on those horrible Vekoma restraints. It wasn't torture, but it was not pleasant at all. If it had better restraints, it could become a decent ride since there was some intensity, but in its current state, I have no reason to ride it again.

I completely agree! When I went on it during Banshee Bash my head got banged up so badly that I couldn't walk straight after getting off. That didn't stop me from riding again a few hours later though...

BTMRR @ Disney World (or I suppose most of the clones) have some brusing transitions, and not helped by a shared lap bar (obvious intent for a family oriented ride, and not single riders). Otherwise it was pretty good for a Vekoma.

I can usually tolerate rough coasters but after visiting Kings Dominion last Saturday, Hurler is now ranked up there as one of the roughest wooden coasters I've ridden next to Gwazi. I used to find it a bit rough, but tolerable. This year the ride was just unbearable from the moment the train hit the bottom of the first drop.

SFFT: Poltergeist is a little rough during the corkscrew and cobra roll. Superman is rough in the back during the corkscrews.

SFOT: Judge Roy Scream was rough in a comfortable way (soft seats, minimal jackhammering outside of wheel seats). Runaway Mine Train was super fun, but the turns were incredibly clunky and the lift hills will yank your back out if you don't brace yourself.

Hurler at KD is probably my vote for roughest overall. Love the layout though. Vortex and Invertigo at KI are up there too. Mean Streak is on the list though I've ridden it 3-4 times per year since it opened so I'm somewhat used to it now. Lol

My list for the time being:

- Texas Giant before RMC got their hands on the coaster.

- Mean Streak. Ugh, can RMC PLEASE get their hands on this coaster like they did with Texas Giant!?

- Arkansas Twister (Magic Springs) - Not something I ever have the desire to ride again. Once was enough.

- Almost all SLC's.

I am sure I will think of some more, but for now this is my list!

I've ridden most of the huge woodies that are/were well known for being rough, such as SOB, Mean Streak , and the Voyage, and I can attest that nothing seemed rougher than the lake turn on Hercules. That has to be a serious contender for the title of roughest part of any coaster in history

Yeah, I am in the minority with you about Wildcat. It is crazy, a little rough, but not discomforting. On the other hand, was on Thunderhawk at Dorney and man is that pretty rough.

I agree with both of you on Hershey's Wildcat, a lot of people on this site bash it, I can't see why since it's a pretty solid woodie... That being said Gwazi (A coaster with a similar history in a different climate) and Hurler are the roughest and worst woodies I've ever ridden.

Vortex or Anaconda take the cake for the roughest steel coasters even though they aren't that rough, it's those transitions that really kill ya.

I'm with you on Wildcat, I didn't find it that bad of a ride. I didn't love it, but that's because I went to Kennywood & Knoebel's and also rode its buddy Lightning Racer in the same trip.

I guess its because I've ridden Psyclone and Gwazi in its last days, so I can attest that there are some wooden rollercoasters that make you genuinely fear for your ability to have children afterwards. I didn't even find Mean Streak to be that bad, its roughness wasn't horrible from a pain perspective, unfortunately it was just enough to ruin the fun of the ride's plentiful drops.

- Mean Streak. Ugh, can RMC PLEASE get their hands on this coaster like they did with Texas Giant

I personally do not believe they need to go that far. Most of the roughness is after the mid course brake run. I think they just need to smooth out a couple turns and the final airtime hills/dips. If you look at the maintenance shed, it looks like CP just took delivery of some new lumber. Looks like more work is planned.