TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

Roughest coasters I've ridden.

Wood:

Son of Beast (KI)

Gwazi (BGT)

Wildcat (HP)

Georgia Cyclone (SFOG)

Voyage (Holiday World)-This one's hard for me to admit since it's still my favorite wood coaster, but I can't deny it.

Steel:

NYNY Roller Coaster (Las Vegas)

Ninja (SFOG)

Desperado (Buffalo Bills)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went to SFOG for the first time ever last month. WOW was GASM bad. People were crying coming back into the station. It was more painful than mean streak and from what I remember, hurcules.

Ninja was surprisingly awesome though.

^ And T2 used to be soooooo smoooooth in the early years (I rode it in 1995).

Anaconda (Walygator Parc); Bandit (Movie Park Germany); Condor (Walibi World).

That is all.

I guess I just don't get it with Mean Streak. The ride is undoubtedly terrible and rough, but I never thought it was "one of the roughest coasters ever" rough. I feel like a lot of the hatred for this ride is because it's at such a high profile park. If it were anywhere else I think it would just be considered another forgettable, rough, bad coaster.

I think something like Gwazi (for example) is much, much worse. Oh well, to each his own.

^I got a more uncomfortable ride on wildcat at Hershey. But then those are two types of roughness: while mean streak hits some spots that make the cars bounce like crazy all over the place, with wildcat I got these constant high frequency vibrations all the way through the ride, which I found worse than MS.

I guess I just don't get it with Mean Streak. The ride is undoubtedly terrible and rough, but I never thought it was "one of the roughest coasters ever" rough. I feel like a lot of the hatred for this ride is because it's at such a high profile park. If it were anywhere else I think it would just be considered another forgettable, rough, bad coaster.

I think something like Gwazi (for example) is much, much worse. Oh well, to each his own.

Maybe it is the high profile park. The main reason I didn't like it was because I expected a bit more from a coaster that size. I highly enjoy rough coasters and I guess I expected too much out of Mean Streak. Sometimes I like coasters to beat the crap out of me, but Gwazi was pretty bad. It was all aneurysms and not much force.

I've ridden Dominator quite a bit myself, the most recent being last October and I've never found it rough. In my opinion, even B&M's that have a little rattle are generally nowhere near as rough as rides like Mind Eraser

I will say, it is more of a rattle than roughness, but its still significant enough that I'd consider it rough. If that coaster got the new wing coaster/banshee restraints(which it won't) then that would probably help fix the head banging problem, which helps the rattle become less noticeable. But I think it would still be there. Its only the last half of the ride though, after the mid course. The first half is fine!

Mean Streak is not rough at all. Just a tad dull in terms of world-class thrills. You can already hear the trims just before the first drop in the front row.

Wildcat was a little rattly, but still an exciting ride.

Gwazi was so rickety I honestly cannot comment on it. Not to sure if it was good or bad

Bandit - Movie park Germany

Interestingly, the roughest coaster I've ever been on is also a RCCA! Coaster Express at Parque Warner, the last ride was so bad I was just begging all the way for it to end. (and the fact that the intamin trains hold you tighter than many wooden rides, especially older ones, doesn't help either)

I know what you mean. I though it was a decent ride, I actually rode it 4 times in a row without a problem.

Rode Gwazi again a few weeks ago. It has gone from rough to absolutely Brutal!!

Others worth mentioning:

Son of Beast

Wildcat at Compounce

Rough, but I like them:

Voyage

Cyclone (the original)

Georgia Cyclone

Millennium Force is easily the roughest roller coaster I've ever been on....(tehe)

Hurler at Carowinds before the trim brake and refurbishment was brutal. haha I loved the airtime the ride offered but the turns were awful.

• 2 months later...