TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You thought GateKeeper was rough? It might not be the best coaster, but I thought it was very smooth.

I rode it twice and both rides were very rough. If you ignore their stand ups, it's by far the roughest B&M I've been on.

You thought GateKeeper was rough? It might not be the best coaster, but I thought it was very smooth.

I rode it twice and both rides were very rough. If you ignore their stand ups, it's by far the roughest B&M I've been on.

Wow. I certainly thought it was the smoothest coaster I've ever been on, IMO.

So many to choose from...

Scream! (SFMM)

Mean Streak (CP)

Vortex (CGA)

GhostRider

Vekoma SLC (take your pick)

Vekoma Boomerang (again, take your pick)

And, finally, I can't believe that nobody yet has mentioned Manhattan Express in Las Vegas. How can a country that produces so many technological marvels churn out that sadistic POS?

^Scream! used to be smooth. However, it's gone downhill. My last ride on it was a year ago, and it headbanged me mercilessly. I can't really speak to Colossus, as I haven't ridden it in a long time. While the Arrow coasters are indeed rough, they didn't bang my head like Scream! did. I find Riddler's Revenge and Batman to be far smoother than Scream! While Apocalypse has certainly gotten rougher, it's still ride-able. As for Revolution, I agree with you 100%. I shall amend my previous list to include Revolution.

I rode Scream early last year and didn't think it was bad at all. I kind of enjoyed it, though Bizarro (it's mirror image clone) is a little better. I found Batman to be smooth as glass. I'm shocked to see people complaining about it being rough.

My top ten?

10. Ghost Rider

9. Revolution (SFMM)

8. Wilde Beast

7. Anaconda

6. Gwazi

5. Flight Deck (CW)

4. Mean Streak

3. Wildcat (LC)

2. Ninja (SFOG)

1. The Coney Island Cyclone! Hands down the most brutal ride I've ever ridden, but I still love it.

Past mentions: Great American Scream Machine (SFGAdv), Zyklon Loop (Star City), Cyclone (SFNE) pre-Topper Track

EDIT: Forgot to put X2 on there. Another brutal ride that I still love.

Edited by VinTheAttendant

Here's my list:

10. Son of Beast

09. Kong @ SFDK (Much worse than your typical SLC)

08. Manhattan Express

07. Anaconda @ Walygator Parc

06. Flashback @ SFMM (Good Riddance)

05. Ninja @ SFSL

04. Wild Beast @ Canada's Wonderland

03. Bandit @ Movie Park Germany

02. Dragon @ Adventureland

01. Gouderix @ Parc Asterix

I'm surprised that I'm the first person in the thread to bring up Gouderix. That thing was awful (as demonstrated here).

I rode Scream early last year and didn't think it was bad at all. I kind of enjoyed it, though Bizarro (it's mirror image clone) is a little better. I found Batman to be smooth as glass. I'm shocked to see people complaining about it being rough.

It's not that it isn't smooth, but when I went to SFMM last time (winter 2012), Scream was smoother.

It's weird how much of a hit or miss the B&Ms at SFMM can be. Last time I went on Riddler's Revenge, it was as smooth as butter and wedged its way into my top ten that year. But I remember riding it before and getting that signature "hot ear" feeling.

Also, I have a question for you guys.

In which cases do you think roughness adds to a coaster?

I ask this because I appear to be the only human on this entire forum who enjoys Ghostrider and Viper.

I ask this because I appear to be the only human on this entire forum who enjoys Ghostrider and Viper.

I also enjoyed Viper. I am in a decent bracing position and I experience little to no headbanging. For GhostRider, I can't judge because I haven't ridden it in a few years.

Also, I have a question for you guys.

In which cases do you think roughness adds to a coaster?

Good question. For me, while Arrows are undoubtedly rough, the shaking seems to be spread out over more evenly around the entire upper body. B&Ms, on the other hand, express their roughness solely in the rider's head, resulting in the infamous B&M headbanging. I'd much rather have roughness diffused over my entire body than concentrated in my head. As for GhostRider, my last ride on that was miserable. Still, I'd much rather ride a rough coaster with lap bars than OTSRs, reason being that rough rides with OTSRs result in headbanging and "hot ears". That's my humble little opinion. It is indeed very interesting to see the wide variances in what people consider rough.

^I definitely won't deny that Ghostrider is rough, but it really does add to that whole "out of control" feeling, which IMO is criminally underrated.

Stuff like that is why Poltergeist sits at my #5 spot, and Ghostrider is still in my top 3 woodies.

To try and squeeze it into a single definition, I'm going to define a "rough coaster" as this for now: A ride, despite proper loading/operating, without knowledge beforehand of the ride experience, causing discomfort through sudden rider/seat displacement.

If we're talking of all time including defunct

Scream! (It's been rough since day one)

Windjammer

Flashback

Psyclone

Colossus

Mind Eraser (SFA)

Vekoma Boomerang

Viper (SFMM)

Joker's Jinx (when it had OTSRs)

Matterhorn

Hi Miler (traveling coaster)