TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2014 Winter Olympics

bbomser

I'm afraid I don't have any must-watch events. I'm assuming this won't date me too much, if at all, but one year Tara Lipinski was my hero. A few years later my friend and I had a crush on Apolo Ohno. But I don't think there's any sport I've watched consistently over time. More of a "whatever's on" kind of deal for me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be watching women's bobsled as I do love Lolo Jones.

I can't believe I'm watching the Opening Ceremonies just to see my pompous high school classmate march in with the island nation of Dominca. Then again it's a lot warming watching it on TV then it was standing in Lillehammer.

^Care to tell any more about that story? From the coverage last night they basically made it sound like him and his wife BOUGHT their spots by giving money to Dominica. Slightly sleazy.

He and his wife used to own an island in the Caribbean and I think that is when they started donating money to charitable causes in Dominica. So years ago they were granted citizenship, even though they never lived there.

Apparently the IOC goes to non established winter countries and encourages them to find athletes. High ranking government officials encouraged who knew the couple cross country skied, encouraged them to train in an effort to qualify. They spent two years and their own money to make it happen and I'll commend them for their effort.

However, in school he was never content with his 98% average and many accused him of cheating in an effort to be at the top of our class, being #3 wasn't good enough for him.

Then last week I read an article that said he stopped wrestling after being in a car accident during his senior year in high school. The article said he was in a coma for two days and in the hospital for two weeks. None of the classmates I spoke with remember this serious accident. That's a little sketchy if you ask me.

However, I do not believe he paid anyone off to compete for an Olympic spot and he did legitimately qualify. It's not like the days of Eddie the Eagle anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/sports/olympics/caribbean-newcomers-dip-their-toes-in-sochis-snow.html?_r=0

Here's an article about a lawsuit that arouse when he sold his private island for $28 million a few years ago. Apparently the buyer under reported the sale price.

http://suntci.com/government-gets-million-from-emerald-cay-sale-p402-106.htm

Edited by larrygator

Woo hoo! A One-Two medal finish for the sisters from Quebec, in the Freestyle Skiing Event.

And this is early for Canada to already start getting some metal from the games. In Vancouver, it

was almost into the second week, before some numbers started coming in.

Go Team Canada.

At least with cable there are options to what is on and you're not stuck with the abbreviated prime time stuff they offer.

So far i have seen nothing on USA & MSNBC. Didn't NBC used to show Olympics on these channels previously? So far everything seems to be limited to NBCSN which i don't get

At least with cable there are options to what is on and you're not stuck with the abbreviated prime time stuff they offer.

So far i have seen nothing on USA & MSNBC. Didn't NBC used to show Olympics on these channels previously? So far everything seems to be limited to NBCSN which i don't get

Correct, they made the change to NBCSports this year.

Today is the first day where I'm able to watch the olympics the whole day and it was worth it. Germany got his second gold medal... And there will be another gold medal for the bob-ladies tomorrow!!!

Now I'm really looking forward for the ice skating competition.

And I must say: I love the Olympic Games, even if they very commercial...

They use all the channels at various times throughout the day. nbcolympics.com has the channel lineup.

I'm upset that there's no possible way for the US and Canada to meet in the Gold medal round. The latest they could meet is the semi-final. With that new information, I don't want them to medal at all. No offense to the good fans, but I see SO many super-arrogant Canadian hockey fans that I just want them to go home without a medal of any kind and shut them up. I know not all of you are like that, but on Facebook and the NHL website, all I see is Canadian fans acting like they've already won Gold since before the tournament started. If you aren't like that, thank you, you have my respect. But I've seen so much arrogance that I want the Canadian team to fail miserably.

all I see is Canadian fans acting like they've already won Gold since before the tournament started. If you aren't like that, thank you, you have my respect. But I've seen so much arrogance that I want the Canadian team to fail miserably.

The last two games before semi finals are played right now. Looks like what you are hoping for (Canada getting eliminated) is not to far of at all. The US is in a 4-1 lead against Czech so far, but Canada seems to struggle against Latvia with only 1-1 right now. I know we (Sweden) struggled real hard against them as well, so they should not be taken lightly in any way. (But let's face it, Canada always sees themselves as favorites for the win).

I can say with 100% certainty that when Canada scored that goal in OT was the absolute ANGRIEST I have EVER been in my entire life! I screamed so loud and so much that I could taste blood in my throat. I was throwing everything I could get my hands on all over the house, and even after going on a 45 minute walk to blow off steam, I still feel like I want to kill someone. I'm really surprised no neighbors called the cops because I was screaming so loud it could have easily been heard if someone was home next door, and it probably sounded like someone was trying to murder me. Never been this angry in my life. I can't stand the Canadian hockey fans and seeing them get this kind of satisfaction makes me absolutely and utterly fuming, especially considering we had the game in the bag.