TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2014 Winter Olympics

bbomser

Was looking around for an Olympic thread, and only found the one regarding the coaster in Sochi, nothing about the games themselves. As we are now a couple days away from the games, what are people excited for?

I for one, am excited for the Men's Hockey tournament. Will be a tough go for a US Team that has never medaled in Europe, but I think there is enough depth so that they could do something.

I also love me some Curling. I think it's something about throwing stones at the house.

Anyone else out there excited for the 2014 Games?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like watching the biathlon. Skiing and shooting, what could be better?

It's what I like to call "Norwegian Drive-By" (Well, I heard it from Robin Williams, but it's still funny)

Just heard the US gold hopeful in men's snowboard (or something like that?) just backed out.

I hope this isn't a precursor to a Major Accident happening there.

As for that, it is snowboarding, but a new sub-discipline, Snowboard Freestyle. I know that Norway's Medal Contender fell on a practice run and broke his collarbone (Torstein Horgmo). Shaun White (US Contender) backed out of that event both because of the injury risk and to focus on the Men's Snowboard Halfpipe event.

^I think a girl was also hurt on that SlopeStyle course. We actually got to watch SlopeStyle qualifying (on skis) while we were in Park City and it was super impressive!

I like the Alpine events and figure skating. Will definitely be watching quite a bit!

I watch far more Olympic stuff than I should.

Has anyone else seen the tweets from journalists about how none of their hotels are finished yet and things already breaking just at walking into a room? This could be a disaster.

Has anyone else seen the tweets from journalists about how none of their hotels are finished yet and things already breaking just at walking into a room? This could be a disaster.

Lots of toilets are completely broken and the Olympic village hotels do not have lobbies or anything!

This is why I am of the opinion olympic games should only go to cities where there is already lots of existing infrastructure. It never turns out well when a country has to throw a ton of money at building venues/transportation that will serve no real purpose after the games. There's always lots of waste, corruption, and shoddy construction!

I like the luge. Roller coasters, Racecars, luge. Can you tell that I like speed?

Well you'll like the fact that the Russian F1 Grand Prix is being held at the same location in October

I'm looking forward to the olympics but not them being in Russia with all the political, social, and economic unrest. Between the infrastruscture simply not being ready in time to all the anti gay laws, I really can't see things going too well.

I like the luge. Roller coasters, Racecars, luge. Can you tell that I like speed?

Well you'll like the fact that the Russian F1 Grand Prix is being held at the same location in October

I'm looking forward to the olympics but not them being in Russia with all the political, social, and economic unrest. Between the infrastruscture simply not being ready in time to all the anti gay laws, I really can't see things going too well.

Don't forget the Russian security that we're trusting to stop the imminent terror attacks. My mom has like zero faith in them to protect the athletes, and I agree with her. These Olympics could turn out to be a disaster, but I'm praying really really really hard that it goes well. *signs cross* I just have a bad feeling about these Olympics.

I'm only watching for hockey. USA will get revenge this time! Hear that, Canada? Murica is taking home gold this time!

Sorry, I'm really passionate about hockey.

Same here but I have to pull for Sweeden only because of Henrik Lundqvist. I really wish professionals didn't play hockey in the olympics. It would be much more exciting and we wouldn't have to deal with this stupid olympic break in the NHL.

I'm only watching for hockey. USA will get revenge this time! Hear that, Canada? Murica is taking home gold this time!

Nope.

Get ready to hear Oh Canada.

Also, I'm betting someone dies at these games due to poor planning/infrastructure. Highest odds are on a spectator, less odds on a journalist, long shot on an athlete.

Nope.

Get ready to hear Oh Canada.

Also, I'm betting someone dies at these games due to poor planning/infrastructure. Highest odds are on a spectator, less odds on a journalist, long shot on an athlete.

Well Shaun White bailed on snowboarding because the thought the run they were snowboarding on was unsafe. Athlete injury might be very likely. I can't wait to watch some curling

Edited by Zem

I like the Olympics but they show way to much figure skating and ice dancing. In my book those are not sports. Anything with subjective judging is not a sport. At least with cable there are options to what is on and you're not stuck with the abbreviated prime time stuff they offer.

I've said this before, but as soon as this year's Olympic games are over, Sochi is going to turn into Athens.

Interesting thought, but I don't expect Sochi to turn into a city if significant historical importance.

Depends on how many times Putin decides to take his shirt off.

Anything with subjective judging is not a sport.

You mean like Salt Lake 2002 right? That was fun.

Seriously though. Couple of good points brought up. The whole Canada Vs. USA Hockey going to be interesting to watch.

Also on Elissa's note regarding the skiing and snowboarding, I watched a special on out local NBC Station last night called "How to Raise an Olympian" and it contained some interesting info. One of the hopefuls, Mikaela Shuffrin is one of the youngest skiers (only 18 I think), people are calling her the next Lindsey Vonn.

I certainly will be watching!

Brian "The Olympics are like my Christmas" Bomser

I like watching the biathlon. Skiing and shooting, what could be better?

It's what I like to call "Norwegian Drive-By" (Well, I heard it from Robin Williams, but it's still funny)

That is hilarious.

We actually watch a lot of the winter olympics. More of the sports interest us than with the summer olympics.

My wife loves figure skating. Me, not so much. That's why I have other TVs in the house.