TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Go Karts Disappearing at Cedar Fair Parks

Forgive me if this was brought up in the past, but I have been noticing a pattern the last couple of years and didn't think to mention it until now.

I suppose it started in the late part of 2012 as Kings Island was rumored to be removing their tiny and unimpressive track (in my opinion) for an unknown project (Banshee). Then other rides began disappearing as construction started in other parks... Michigan's Adventure removed theirs for their Flyers and Beer Garden... Now going into the 2014 season, we see Valleyfair removing theirs and Worlds of Fun as well.

I have yet to see construction photos of Carowinds, but could they eventually as well, since theirs sit directly in front of the now moved Skycoaster?

Are operational costs just getting out of control or is it because 3 of the mentioned parks have lower attendance compared to their sisters? Or are Go Carts just not pulling in the bucks like they used to?

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never ride the go karts at amusement parks. Often they seem slow and the tracks tend not to be very interesting. I love go karts but if I'm going to spend money on them I'm going to go to an actual go kart track. I tend to find there are often much better ways to spend time at a park and I don't feel I'm alone. I don't usually see the go karts at most parks being very crowded and at some they are just abondoned and never seem to even have operators.

The go-carts also seem to be over-priced for the track and cars. The tracks at amusement parks are uninspired and the cars generally run slow. If I recall correctly, the tracks at Kings Island and Michigan's Adventure were simple ovals and look to be made for children. The tracks at Cedar Point had a great Platinum Pass deal last season, as they were buy one get one free!

This isn't a loss to me at all. I found these Go Cart tracks a waste of resources for the parks. They should leave this to places that specialize in Go Carts. There are numerous family friendly Go Cart tracks around if that is your thing.

If you really love speed, then I recommend paying a bit more and trying a more realistic go cart racing experience. In my region of the country there is Victory Lane Karting in Charlotte, and Andretti Karting in Atlanta. Both are indoor facilities with racing style Go Carts with a top speed of 35 mph. You have to have a driver's license to drive and also have to wear a helmet and flame-retardant racing suit.

After Valleyfair dropped their Challenge Park Upgrade for Season Passes, I never rode the go-karts again. It was always fun to go for a few cycles when the park got really busy, but they're not fast enough to warrant actually paying for each run.

That being said, the track was pretty interesting, it just took up to much prime real estate.

Nothing about the go-karts at Cedar Fair parks is unique or worth saving. They could bulldoze all of them, for all I care. The Cedar Point ones though are probably sticking around a long while since they're part of a full service FEC the place operates.

From the footage Robb showed, it seems Fun Spot has an interesting layout to the tracks even though the go karts aren't the fastest. Unless other parks have something interesting to offer I say get rid of them and use the space for something else. The go karts at Fiesta Texas seem to never be used and the track just takes up a bunch of space. They could really take out that old water ride and the go kart track to open up a lot more room for new attractions.

I don't think I have ever been on Go Karts at any big park. Usually there is too much to do and I can't see paying the up charge. If I want to do them I will go to an FEC. No loss if they all disappear at the bigger parks.

^Hey Bob, how's your Mandarin!?!?

I like to give our non-native English speakers a little more leeway, but I will use this as a teaching case for Yin and others.

You meant to say big 'loss'.

Lose = to forget something, have something taken away

Loose = not tight

^Hey Bob, how's your Mandarin!?!?

I like to give our non-native English speakers a little more leeway, but I will use this as a teaching case for Yin and others.

You meant to say big 'loss'.

Lose = to forget something, have something taken away

Loose = not tight

Thank you! Now I think I've remembered it very well

I am glad go-karts are being removed! I would rather ride a good coaster than pay money to ride go-karts. Plus I never got into them anyways, but even if I as, roller coasters and good rides are much better!