TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Parks In Iraq.

Iraq is a country many of us wouldn't really associate with theme parks but in recent years the area has seen a bit of a theme park boom. Especially in the South Kurdistan area towards the North of the country.

I was digging up some info for the RCDB on a picture I found of a looper in Kurdistan. During this I came across a few more missing off the site and decided to dig deeper I found that there have been several new coasters which have opened in the last few years.

I thought people on the forums might like to take a look. Although I can't imagine a TPR trip there any time soon

Below is a short run down of the main new coasters and some of the other parks. (there are a few more pics but in the interest of not having the longest post ever I collated at http://vhcoasters.com/2014/02/04/theme-parks-in-iraq/ But i have included all the coasters themselves in this post)

Dream City- Duhok

Perhaps the leader for parks in the country and one thats been reported on here before, Dream City recently built a huge Ferris wheel as their center piece and in 2010 installed a clone of Drayton Manor’s X-Car coaster G-Force. Poor them.

Sources: Kurdistanskyscrapers and Skyscraperpage

Chavi Land - Sulaymaniyah

The amusingly named (For the British anyway) Chavi Land is a more recent park which has opened up in South Kurdistan and features a new quad looping coaster with an impressive after dark light scheme. Guessing by the design I'm going to say its a Chinese built ride.

Sources: Kurdistanskyscrapers and Shafaqq

Hawler Land - Erbil

Another new theme park in South Kurdistan this park has built a triple looping coaster. The park also has a large Ferris wheel and I don’t believe it is actually open yet. There’s a few names floating around for this park including Lona Park.

Sources: Kurdistanskyscrapers

Family Fun – Erbil

Another park in Erbil bought a custom Vekoma roller skater from the Tatilya in Turkey. The ride used to be an indoor park coaster hence its high stretched out layout. The park has also added a single inversion coaster and a small big apple style ride to go with it.

Sources: Panoramio and Panoramio

Family Fun – Duhok

Currently under construction and due to open 2015 in Duhok the latest Family Fun park is set to open a Boomerang coaster moved from Karolinelund in Denmark. It appears the coaster is already on site and constructed.

Sources: Kurdistanskyscrapers

Fun City – Kirkuk

Another small park this one is home to a small galaxi style coaster. Its possible this coaster was relocated from Baghdad as Its tough to find mention of the one that used to reside there. However it is Iraq so it’s possible its a different coaster entirely.

Sources: Skyscrapercity & Ataleoftwocities

Azadi Parki - Silêmanî

Yet another small city park with a coaster. This one appears to be a small pinfari style looper. It is know a park in Tikrit had a ride similar to this and it seems to be MIA so it could be this one.

Source: Flickr

Pank Resort - Rawanduz

Featured in the British motoring show Top Gear, the Pank Resort isn’t home to any traditional roller coaster but does feature a stunning Alpine Coaster which traverses the side of a mountain down to a massive canyon. Watch the youtube video below for an on-ride.

Sources: Arthur In Iraq & Panoramio

This is certainly not the end of coasters in Iraq. Al Zawra’a Dream Park in Baghdad is currently expected to add a Vekoma SLC this year which will be the tallest and fastest ride in the country as well as featuring the most number of inversions.

I've tried to make the info in this post as accurate as possible but if you know that there are inaccuracies then please let me know.

Edited by Gutterflower

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! This is awesome! Thanks for posting it.

I spent a few months in a field outside of Duhok in 1991 to help clear the area of hostile activity and allow the Kurds to repopulate area. It was pretty desolate back then. I'm so happy to see that the area is recovering and doing well nearly 23 years later.

Despite the fact that there are now some credits there, I don't think I could ever go back to that area again.

Fun City – Kirkuk

Another small park this one is home to a small galaxi style coaster. Its possible this coaster was relocated from Baghdad as Its tough to find mention of the one that used to reside there. However it is Iraq so it’s possible its a different coaster entirely.

Sources: Skyscrapercity & Ataleoftwocities

I'm sure that the coaster and maybe even the flat comes from Ölands Djur och Nöjespark here in Sweden: http://rcdb.com/4510.htm

The sign on the coaster is the exact same one that it had here in Sweden with all Swedish writing on it

Here are some pictures oh it when it was running in Sweden from 2010.

P1170393.thumb.JPG.329a77b244daa9e00a6724a3ad2572cc.JPG

Looks like the same ride, but with out the small canopy's above the seats.

P1170415.thumb.JPG.546eb3bf832b9bf0eca32eec5a1a6459.JPG

Afrika Expressen

P1170420.thumb.JPG.80d6bbe5633c195fcba552ad5e7b904c.JPG

Same sign and everything :)

Never associated Iraq with roller coasters ever. None of them are any i'd travel around the world for, but I'm glad that country has something. I'm not entirely sure about Iraq but I know in Saudi Arabia, Non-Muslims have to drive on different roads and I believe you cannot publically express any other religion other than Islam (going back to 9th grade AP Human Geography here). I'm not entirely sure if Iraq is even similar to that but I would advise to be careful as always. The country is strictly Islamic to my knowledge. So, yes ladies, that means you atleast have to wear a hijab.

(Please, if anyone can affirm or deny this [arby, since you spent time there, or any locals] please do! I don't want to spread any false information.)

Well, a Maurer-Söhne X-Car and a Boomerang as best coasters of a country...

At least its better than nothing and most coasters pictured look well maintained, the night photo of the park lit up is looking very good - and there were so nice to put a German flag onto their X-Car...

Sadly the security situation prevents western visitors as of now to see these parks - but hopefully this will change some time!

^I'm up for it! I really enjoy the middle east! Safety in small numbers right? Cheryl and I will rock the burka!

I think I would be scared but I would feel safe with TPR! During a holiday with my family in Turkey two guys grabbed me when we visited a market and ,y father had to run after them. they told him my blond hair (I was 7 years old) was looking like the hair of a king and they wanted to show me their friends! No fun at all!

^I'm up for it! I really enjoy the middle east! Safety in small numbers right? Cheryl and I will rock the burka!

I think I would be scared but I would feel safe with TPR! During a holiday with my family in Turkey two guys grabbed me when we visited a market and ,y father had to run after them. they told him my blond hair (I was 7 years old) was looking like the hair of a king and they wanted to show me their friends! No fun at all!

That's insane! Are you still going to Vialand?

I'm not entirely sure about Iraq but I know in Saudi Arabia, Non-Muslims have to drive on different roads and I believe you cannot publically express any other religion other than Islam (going back to 9th grade AP Human Geography here). I'm not entirely sure if Iraq is even similar to that but I would advise to be careful as always. The country is strictly Islamic to my knowledge. So, yes ladies, that means you atleast have to wear a hijab.

(Please, if anyone can affirm or deny this [arby, since you spent time there, or any locals] please do! I don't want to spread any false information.)

This area of Iraq is a little different. What you are saying is pretty true for the majority of Iraq as it follows the Mulsim culture like the rest of the region. The northern area is primarily made up of the outcasts of Iraq - the Christians and the Kurds. They all seemed pretty accepting to Americans. Of course my interaction was with the locals after we pushed the Iraqi army south and restored their power and water. I don't know what the climate of the area is like now.

To comment on other posts, I wouldn't feel any less safe here than other areas of the world and even some areas in the U.S. While I don't want to take away from any service member who has experienced much more than I did, I have no desire to go back which would cause me to relive my experiences. I have no safety concerns anymore so than an American traveling anywhere in the world.

Kurdistan is supposedly not bad, but other areas are active zones of insurgency. Jordan, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Iran, they're all places I can get a tourist visa with far less risk as a tourist not used to warzones. I'd probably stick to them for awhile. If the US State Department suggests nothing but essential travel, I'm probably sticking with that suggestion.

Family Fun – Erbil

Another park in Erbil bought a custom Vekoma roller skater from the Tatilya in Turkey. The ride used to be an indoor park coaster hence its high stretched out layout. The park has also added a single inversion coaster and a small big apple style ride to go with it.

Oh my god it's a Wild Wind. The short history of these is that a few were built in the US around 2000 or 2001 but they never operated because they were too intense to meet American safety standards (this is backed up by RCDB). Most never opened period but a few are operating overseas (in the Philippines, Tunisia, Venezuela and I guess Iraq).

So me and Duane dug in to some of the other parks. Chavi Park also has a knock off spinning mouse for the world to enjoy.

And Hawler Land is in fact now called Majidi Park and has 4 coasters due to open this year. These include a Big Apple, Wild Mouse and Weird Super Big Apple? . Some pics of that last one below.

Source: http://vhcoasters.com/2014/02/06/majidi-park-construction/ via http://www.hewa.com/en/investment/majidi-park-arbil

Sinbad Land

Another new park although this time down south. Currently under construction in Baghdad this seems to have been on hold for a while but its possible life is starting to appear on site. Zamperla mention selling some rides to this park including a Twister Coaster, Disk'O Coaster, Air Race and Vertical Swing.

1005801_683404545013372_1144297827_n.jpg

Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1469146&page=4

Edited by Gutterflower

• 3 months later...

The SLC in Baghdad at Al Zawra park (which also includes the Baghdad Zoo) seems to have finally broken ground. A picture from about a month ago which shows footers for what can only be a SLC layout as well as what appears to be some supports. Nice to see this project is in fact happening.

10004003_222508384604809_1859878306_n.jpg

• 3 months later...