TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What type of enthusiast are you?

I used to kinda be a whore about it but really, I am drawn more to the parks and the environment now days, and the coasters come second to that. I have a greater sense of fun by knowing everybody around me is also having a good time. Am I weird?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i started really getting into coasters as a kid, was definitely a coaster rider. Being a (credit)/coaster whore has developed rather recently. Haven't really dabbled in designer/engineer since RCT the original if that even counts.

I used to kinda be a whore about it but really, I am drawn more to the parks and the environment now days, and the coasters come second to that. I have a greater sense of fun by knowing everybody around me is also having a good time. Am I weird?

I don't think that is weird, or I am weird right along with you because that almost describes me perfectly. On our recent cross country trip, I should have picked up over 40 credits but I only got 27. In years past I would have been frustrated. This time I was like, 'oh well, let's just have fun.' Now my theme park enthusiast and coaster enthusiast perspective is to just have fun.

Could I add that I'm a Coaster Sound Enthusiast. I just love all the sounds you get from a coaster.

Wow! I wish I had started this as a discussion thread instead of actually popping the question. I never thought of that but I'm there with you. Without all the sounds the experience would not be the same.

I'm a Rider but there is no way I'm going to ride a boomerang more than once. Its just to get the credit. So that might also tick the Whore category, but I draw the line at borrowing a kid to ride a kiddie coaster.

• 1 month later...

I like thrills.

Theming is cool and a bonus if there but I'm not one of those insane theming Disney enthusiasts or anything. Aside from Space Mountain (which I'll admit is a pretty cool ride), pretty much everything at Disneyland bored the crap out of me. I'd rather drive 1 hour north and sacrifice a little park quality to get my brain shaken around on X2 or free fall 400 feet straight down, all for a fraction of the price of a DL ticket.

This is why Knott's is my favorite SoCal park. It is a perfect marriage of Six Flags and DL. It has some good thrills while maintaing charm and theming in certain areas.

Nothing against Disneyland or its excellent park quality and awesome service, but I guess I just see myself as a thrill seeker (hence my username).

• 5 months later...

I think I have some of each of these in me (minus Coaster Designer because I don't care very much for theming), but if I had to choose one, it would probably be Coaster Rider because nothing beats the thrill of the ride.

Coaster Rider - For you, it's all about the ride. It really doesn't matter what it looks like or what forces it has, what's important is the ride experience. You continue to reride subpar coasters hoping to find one seat with a good experience. You are hoping to be reborn as a water dummy and have even created a facebook water dummy group. You have an army of water dummies in your basement who answer to you and are your primary followers on Twitter.

I'm all about riding a ride as many times as possible. Two days ago I rode Hellcat at TimberFalls Adventure park in Wisconsin Dells ( 30 ) times. The week prior I rode Zippin Pippin ( 18 ) times. I would ride coasters even more, but usually the people I go with aren't about riding a ride ( 30 ) times.

I'm also all about talking about the entire coaster experience. I didn't see that type of enthusiast on the list. I love to talk about each coasters stats, name, location in park, queque, operations, course layout, etc. etc. The people I go with aren't really overly interested in talking about the experience afterward.

• 2 months later...

There's been a little discussion in the Dollywood thread regarding differences in the preferences between enthusiasts. Where as one enthusiast may prefer the world's tallest roller coaster built in the parking lot of a corporate park (hypothetically, of course), another may prefer a small family owned pier on the East Coast. Tell us some of your favorite parks, and why they're your favorit.

I for one don't give one lick about theming. I like cliche amusement parks. A little theming on the coasters is great but Disney, Universal, etc. type theming is not necessary for me to enjoy myself. I want that one awesome must have food item. I like small park charm. I'd take Canobie Lake over SeaWorld Orlando. Any day!

What do you like?

I would say I'm a combination of the both. This is one of the reasons I love Dollywood so much. They've got thrills and theming plus the location is beautiful. Being completely beautiful and not thrilling isn't as much of a draw for me though. For example, I'm not a big fan of Disney since the lack of thrills. Six Flags Great Adventure and Silver Dollar City are my two top priority parks to visit. The only reason I want to visit SF is because of El Toro and Kingda Ka, which just seem like world class thrills, where as SDC I'm looking forward to the entire experience. (And Outlaw Run especially )

I care more about the overall park than having an amazing ride at a crappy park. That's why I'll take WDW over anything. Some of my favorite amusement parks include Silver Dollar City, BGW, BGT, Dollywood, Knoebels and one can never forget to mention Liseberg. Parks don't have to be extensively themed, per se, but I like the park to have some sort of atmosphere.

I like a combination of both, but what brings me back to the park is their ride lineup. I'll visit any park once to see it and ride everything, but a crappy park with a killer ride lineup is much more likely to bring me back than a nice looking park with mediocre rides. For example, Dollywood and BGW are both gorgeous parks, but I'll visit BGW over Dollywood because of their rides. As weird as it may seem, I have a much stronger desire to visit Six Flags Magic Mountain than I do Dollywood just because of the coaster lineup.

I'm the type of enthusiast that loves roller coasters and thrill rides, and I generally prefer amusement parks over theme parks. I do think that theming can be great, and can really add to a park experience, but it is not necessary for me to enjoy a park/ride. Contrary to most others, I actually enjoy the atmosphere of Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks, even if they are a bit YOLO-ish. I can also appreciate small park charm too, but all in all, I generally prefer a more thrilling experience over a better themed one.

There's been a little discussion in the Dollywood thread regarding differences in the preferences between enthusiasts. Where as one enthusiast may prefer the world's tallest roller coaster built in the parking lot of a corporate park (hypothetically, of course), another may prefer a small family owned pier on the East Coast. Tell us some of your favorite parks, and why they're your favorit.

I for one don't give one lick about theming. I like cliche amusement parks. A little theming on the coasters is great but Disney, Universal, etc. type theming is not necessary for me to enjoy myself. I want that one awesome must have food item. I like small park charm. I'd take Canobie Lake over SeaWorld Orlando. Any day!

What do you like?

Merged into a thread with THE SAME EXACT TITLE. Please use the search function before starting a new. The original thread might be a little different but you can build upon it.

Edited by larrygator

What do you like?

Merged into a thread with THE SAME EXACT TITLE. Please use the search function before starting a new. The original thread might be a little different but you can build upon it.

I searched. Honestly, I did. I'll be more careful in the future. I'm sorry.

• 1 month later...