TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What type of enthusiast are you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mostly the Coaster Rider, the ride is the most important thing to me and I will as the OP states "reride subpar coasters hoping to find one seat with a good experience" as long as that coaster's name isn't Mean Streak. I do whore credits on full size coasters, but I have no urge at all to pick up credits on kiddie coasters.

Not 100% however because if an otherwise great ride is ruined by a complete lack of either theming or maintenance, it definitely detracts from the ride experience, I'm not blind to it. I can't enjoy Scream at SFMM because it lacks both. Crystal Wings in China is a relatively mediocre B&M flyer but it's still on my bucket list because of the theming. There are tons of Disney rides that if they were in a parking lot I wouldn't bother with but I love them because of Disney's unmatched theming experience.

Coasters with great scenery such as at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Cedar Point, and Ocean Park in Hong Kong count big time too. Wild West Mine Train would be a 5 or 6 to me otherwise but in that setting it's damn near a 10. Again compare that to SFMM where the scenery for most coasters is either dirt or parking lots. I probably wouldn't enjoy Tatsu, Ninja, and Gold Rusher as much they it weren't on the hill.

So, maybe 70/30 Rider/Designer?

Mostly a rider and a little bit designer. The whole reason I got into coasters is enjoying the experience of riding them. For some coasters I have specific spots I ride in, some the front, some the back, or some 5th row on the left. I will definitely re-ride sub par coasters to get a better ride in a different seat. On the designer front I love taking pictures of coasters with beautiful designs. My phone backgrounds have always been of a coaster.

I definitely have elements of all five, but based on the given descriptions I would say (strongest to weakest):

Rider

Creator

Whore

Engineer

Designer

When it comes to roller coasters, as long as the ride isn't boring or result in pain I usually enjoy it. It doesn't matter so much if the ride has strong forces, extreme amounts of airtime, or fully themed surroundings. In fact, B&M and GCI are my favorite coaster manufacturers and while they rarely come out with anything absolutely amazing I've found all their rides fun and enjoyable over and over again (the only exception is some of B&M's standup coasters). A number of Intamin rides are great, but they just have too many reliability problems and I've been on some truly terrible Intamin coasters as well. Also, as far as credit whoring goes, I do ride kiddie coasters when there are no restrictions and the wait is minimal, but I would never invest more than 10 minutes or borrow a kid just to get a credit.

Creator, Designer, and Rider.

I always look at how rides are setup and appear to the audience, and I'm always coming up with my own blue-sky concepts for different kinds of rides and parks on my own. As far as riding, I keep track of how many times I ride each ride at each park I have a pass for every year.

I was going to give serious answers, but lemme make a personalized description of mine:

Your friends all call you a whore, and you love it! You feel a pang of guilt when you realize your list of quality coasters ridden is hundreds fewer than your total number of credits. You love the very front or back car of many coasters...because most of the ones you encounter feature a fanciful animal's head or tail. You try to get on coasters you're too tall for with the reasoning that if your height reflected your maturity level, you'd easily be under 56".

I was going to give serious answers, but lemme make a personalized description of mine:

Your friends all call you a whore, and you love it! You feel a pang of guilt when you realize your list of quality coasters ridden is hundreds fewer than your total number of credits. You love the very front or back car of many coasters...because most of the ones you encounter feature a fanciful animal's head or tail. You try to get on coasters you're too tall for with the reasoning that if your height reflected your maturity level, you'd easily be under 56".

Hey! That's me...

Ok then, I'm a creator>whore>engineer.

Best reply of the thread! You caught my underlying tone of humor. Your last sentence fit me to a tee.

From previous comments, I'm editing my first post and adding a coaster programmer. Great idea!

From the list, I'm a coaster rider enthusiast. Could I add that I'm a Coaster Sound Enthusiast. I just love all the sounds you get from a coaster. From the chain lift or launch, to the screams or "TWISTY". To the roar of a B&M or the launch of a Intamin. To the sound of the ride op saying "Welcome back riders, how was your ride?" to "Now get ready, here we go".