TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

S&S Sansei Discussion Thread

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the Rocky Mountain track, and thinking back to the original mind behind the 4th dimension concept makes me wonder if Alan Shilke still has any input into this? My hero. Looks awesome!

Yes, actually. From what I understand this is his design.

I can see an indoor park getting one of these! That was the first thing I thought when I saw this!

Remember this was just a prototype, a small piece of track section used to show proof of concept, a production model would be huge. With those large cars and I-box track I would think this coaster would be massive in size.

I love that this actually looks like more fun than a classic 4D coaster, yet will surely cost significantly less to build and maintain due to the simplified mechanics.

I know! I think the prototype, though, would be appropriate for an indoor amusement park! Although the capacity would not be that good, I could just see somewhere like Nickelodeon Universe or Galaxyland or something getting one! I'm not saying it's gonna happen but I'm just saying, that was the first thing that came to my mind.

I wonder if they only want to go the vertical route (like the Zac-Spins) or if they can/are willing to make a real coaster layout with these seats on it. Would be crazy to have something like this on a larger scale, and would set it apart from the Intamin model!

^^ my thoughts exactly. Also a inline twist would be interesting.

But I like the concept as it is. Even the " boomerang" aspect of this concept could be pretty fun to add to the actual product.

In the concept from iaapa i can only see 2 car trains. Does anyone know if its possible to have longer trains?

Edited by julioot

I love the fact they have taken the core idea of their current 4d's (rotating seats) and have totally simplified it. Removing all the clutter and by having free spinning seats rather than controlled rotating they provide a new experience. I doubt these will replace the current 4d's as I guess both rides will produce different experiences but if they can add partial control of the spinning via the dampers then they are onto a winner. If a future model is able to increase and decrease the intensity based on a group of riders preferences on a cycle by cycle basis then parks can have a ride that anyone can ride and it can provide totally different experiences.

I'm sure it is a totally different experience. Having X2 point you head first to the ground, only to swoop out of it on your back at the last moment is extremely unique, and unfortunately this sort of ride looks like it would be impossible to create that same sort of experience - from what I understand the dampers only help to give the ride a 'push', but can't actually completely control movement (Robb, correct me if I'm wrong there). This appears to be more of a hybrid between a coaster and an awesome flat ride, and for that I think it's really unique, but I do hope that S&S or someone can still devise a way to make a 4D coaster that reliably works without feeling like hell. There is a lot more that could be done with that concept.

My only potential concern about this particular ride is the capacity doesn't look like it could be all that high, which would limit where it could go. Here's hoping they've already got a great answer to that - and your thought about controlling intensity by your own choice is a REALLY good one too.

My only potential concern about this particular ride is the capacity doesn't look like it could be all that high, which would limit where it could go. Here's hoping they've already got a great answer to that - and your thought about controlling intensity by your own choice is a REALLY good one too.

Well, look at it this way. The car holds 8 people so that automatically makes it twice the capacity of any Wild Mouse or Tony Hawk type spinner.

Sure, it's not going to be a "people eater" like a 3-train B&M hyper, but I doubt it will be a Deja Vu either.

The use of I-Box track is pretty intriguing. Makes you wonder how the ride would be supported once a park orders one of these.

...Could you imagine if one of RMC's future woodie makeovers was a collaboration with S&S that involved this ride system?!

...Could you imagine if one of RMC's future woodie makeovers was a collaboration with S&S that involved this ride system?!

I think that would be outside the realm of possibility considering the entire structure would need to be re-done to accommodate a train like that. At that point it would just be easier to build a new ride.

Well, look at it this way. The car holds 8 people so that automatically makes it twice the capacity of any Wild Mouse or Tony Hawk type spinner.

Sure, it's not going to be a "people eater" like a 3-train B&M hyper, but I doubt it will be a Deja Vu either.

The capacity on it will really rely on a solid load style. The trains do hold double the capacity of a wild mouse type ride, but if the get locked in and go time takes considerably longer, that'll negate the double capacity. That's where Deja Vu really sucked - it's load procedure was abysmal. If they could have fixed that or if it would have operated how originally designed - with no seat belts - it wouldn't have been quite so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get one. If I had any influence on a park, I'd definitely want to look at this. Imagine what you could do with it as an indoor ride, themed. There are SO many options, I wouldn't doubt that this gets refined and ends up in something expensive and awesome in Orlando in the next 10 years.

I do hope that S&S or someone can still devise a way to make a 4D coaster that reliably works without feeling like hell.
I think they just did. While its usually tough to say what the reliability of a coaster will be when its a prototype, I think the lack of classic 4D gear components will make this more reliable simply because it has less parts that could fail, but that's my guess. Similarly, I think capacity on these will probably be similar to X2/Eejanaika/Dinoconda potential capacities, perhaps slightly higher.

I know! I think the prototype, though, would be appropriate for an indoor amusement park! Although the capacity would not be that good, I could just see somewhere like Nickelodeon Universe or Galaxyland or something getting one! I'm not saying it's gonna happen but I'm just saying, that was the first thing that came to my mind.
You know since you bring it up, perhaps that would be an interesting idea - kind of a "spin off" (no pun intended) for smaller parks that can't fit or pay for a full size coaster. Some other kind of potential energy generation would certainly have to be designed obviously, it'd be tough to sell "You'll need to lift the cars with a forklift"

This is awesome, Robb...thanks for sharing with us and thank you to S&S. What a very unique and cool report!

And if the engineering geek in me is looking at this train right, the photo below is another huge damper, correct? I assume these would be dampers to ensure the cars spin smoothly with little to no vibration which would produce a smoother ride?

It looks VERY similar to the vibration dampers we install on our diesel truck engines which reduce tortional vibration on the engine. They look almost identical!

Damper.jpg.684d3d28af0b5ba054880d459ade2fa1.jpg

Wow, very cool to see a prototype in action like this. Thanks for sharing video footage and pictures of the ride and the S&S shop, TPR comes through again. But now that I have seen a coaster operate in 18 degrees with people having fun on it there is NO reason CF cannot open VF on weekends in the winter. Fire up Renegade, Steel Venom and Wild Thing pronto! We have jackets, hats, gloves and were hearty people who are used to the cold and could handle it. Dear Mr. Quimet...... I am writing you today about...

I've heard that wood coasters (Renegade) would be damaged in freezing conditions.

I doubt that a coaster park would attract enough people on a frozen day to make it profitable (but I'd gladly ride if they were open). There's probably other differences between a test ride and a commercially viable operation.

Glad to see the vest restraint seems to be getting more standardized, one of the reasons I'm looking forward to riding Banshee.

I've heard that wood coasters (Renegade) would be damaged in freezing conditions.

I've ridden wooden roller coasters in the snow before, so I'm not exactly sure that would be the case. It's probably more along the lines of figuring out a way to attract people to visit during a winter climate.

Obviously many parks in Europe and Asia do it...

But anyway, back to the prototype...

They DID have to warm it up for about an hour or so before we could ride it. I think I even mention this in the report!

This 4D evolution sounded so amazing at IAAPA and to see it in action from so many angles is incredible. As many others have already said, THIS version looks like it is really fulfilling all the promise of the 4D concept. So freaking cool. Must have some now.

And then the Arrow Bat head. That was too much. Need to go lay down for a minute. This is easily one of the best TPR posts in memory.

(What's the deal with Windjammer on that book cover, though? LAME.)

kind of a "spin off"

I think it could also use a launch system on the track to rocket the coaster back up to the top. I'm not sure if it could use I-box track though.

I do hope that S&S or someone can still devise a way to make a 4D coaster that reliably works without feeling like hell.
I think they just did. While its usually tough to say what the reliability of a coaster will be when its a prototype, I think the lack of classic 4D gear components will make this more reliable simply because it has less parts that could fail, but that's my guess. Similarly, I think capacity on these will probably be similar to X2/Eejanaika/Dinoconda potential capacities, perhaps slightly higher.

Well, right - I mean a controllable 4D coaster. Like I said, the sensation of going down the first big drop head first only to be pulled at seemingly the last moment is really unique, and I'm definitely a person who likes ride systems that can control the "story" so to speak like that. This, while definitely unique and looking rather similar, is really a wholly different system. Cool, but I don't think it could ever be quite as dramatic as what they could pull off with a ride like X... if it doesn't beat the snot out of you.

I've ridden wooden roller coasters in the snow before, so I'm not exactly sure that would be the case. It's probably more along the lines of figuring out a way to attract people to visit during a winter climate.

Obviously many parks in Europe and Asia do it...

But anyway, back to the prototype...

They DID have to warm it up for about an hour or so before we could ride it. I think I even mention this in the report!

There is nothing inherently wrong with running rides at colder temperatures, however the colder that it is, the more friction that the grease or whatever has, and the slower it moves, meaning that you run a much higher risk of a ride valleying than not. I think it was Cedar Point that talked about different wheels at different points in the season to make the ride run differently a couple years ago, and that's totally the case. Depending on which wheels and how many of them certain rides had, they had certain temperature limits that they could be run at. A lot of the bigger rides cease functioning earlier because the friction causes the chance of valley to be much higher.

In fact, one day I was somewhere when they weren't open, and when I left one of the wooden rides was stranded, partially because of cold, and partially because of wind (it was just above the low temperature to run the ride at, and then the wind kicked it...)

This looks great. Personally I hate X2 but love the concept of X2 (if that makes any sense). It's too jerky to be enjoyable which is a shame because it's such a great idea.

This is EXACTLY my thought as well. I really like the idea behind the ride, and honestly, when X or X2 first opened and it ran smooth, it was incredible! But over time as they got rougher, I liked them much less. I'm hoping the use of RMC I-Box track and the free spinning instead of the more jerky controlled spinning motion will make this ride much more enjoyable.

I think you are right about this. This design looks like it's both more affordable for a park to buy and it looks like it may run smoother for a longer period of time.

There are some really nice specks on that thing. 48" rider height is wonderful, I wish more coasters would try to keep the min height down. 720pph isn't great but then again not as bad as a lot of the newer ride systems. The footprint should make it a no brainier for smaller parks as long as the maintenance is not horrendous.

Plus, I bet your video will get that into a few parks.... you should get a commission.

Wow, that is one cool coaster prototype, happy to see you could try it out ! I really hope it can gain success and be installed at several parks, and of course I have not tryed it, but... Maybe installing such a coaster in a shuttle type just like a Disk-O would still be cool and allow smaller parks with smaller budgets to get a unique attraction. Maybe ?