TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[PC/RCT3] Valley Hills

I love the style you've done this park in. It beckons me back to the simpler days of park building when I could just have fun and build without obsessing over every tiny detail. You've made creative use of some limited pieces and I love the blend of in-game stuff with custom stuff. I also love your coaster layouts, they go excellent in a SIx Flags park, and top notch job on supporting. I'm loving seeing this develop. A couple tips though. One thing is that your tree cover is extremely sparse, and it can conflict with some points on your paths where the vegetation invades on the paths. Try and bring in the environment, not keep it out. Open spaces and rest areas will really help the flow of your park. Also don't be afraid to experiment with height changes. Subtle elevation changes is free realism without having to use any scenery. The same goes for terrapainting. You've got a lot of grass, I would try and blend some dirt and rock and such through the groundcover instead of just having the dirt patches where rides are. But all in good time! 20 pages in I feel like you don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Keep developing things and don't be afraid to try and mix it up and develop your park beyond what the timeline dictates.

Thank you for your feedback and constructive criticism.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, July 5, 2004

Kevin Richards - chief financial officer

14095331741_230070d6d3_o.png

Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. purchased Valley Hills in late 1996, and used their strong influence and experience in the amusement park industry to transform Valley Hills into the region's thrill capital. During the seven year tenure of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc., attendance at Valley Hills has risen from 1.2 million to 1.8 million visits per annum, or +50 percent. Guests' in park spending has also increased 12% in the same time period, with the park's total revenue intake increasing nearly 30% in the last seven seasons. Unfortunately, that is where all the problems lie.

14272178794_d382e2128c_o.jpg

Six Flag's used this momentum and cash flow to invest heavily in the park. In the form of; Camp Looney Tunes, Superman, and Deja Vu a total investment of nearly $20 million dollars in three years. When Six Flags Them Parks Inc., purchased the park in 1996, they assumed the park's $28 million debt. Now the company is faced with a financial crisis, and is selling the majority of their European properties along with a park in Ohio. Initially, Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. wanted to keep Valley Hills, but the park has immense potential and market value. This is essential for the company in their current debt-ladden situation. So the decision to sell Valley Hills was simply a smart business, economic, and financial choice that the company had to make.

14085991469_f98880568a_o.jpg

The City will continue to temporarily manage the park until a buyer is found, and takes over. The City has had the land appraised at $65,000 an acre, at 150 acres, with a total land value of $9.75 million. The amusement park itself has been appraised at an estimated $150 million for a total market value sale of $159,750,000 usd. Due to Valley Hills strong revenue intake, the park already has two interested buyers; Kennywood & CNL Financial Group. Hopefully, Six Flags Theme Park Inc. makes a sale by the end of the fiscal year, as Six Flags will cease all basic-operation funding at that point.

Kennywood 5-YEAR proposal

• Improved food and facility quality
    10,000 sq. ft Potato Patch restaurant
    $3 million infrastructure upgrade to improve the look of the park
    Double the amount of vendors
    Expanded children's area
    Increased maintenance to decrease downtime

CNL Financial Group 5-YEAR proposal

• Increased marketing
    Double the amount of vendors
    Two world-class family rides, and one world-class thrill ride
    One mid-sized 'revolutionary' roller coaster
    Expanded children's area

Samuel Jenkins, the man responsible for Valley Hill's revitalization in the 1980's was one the one most effected by this. "I've seen this park grow from a few words and doodles on a piece of paper, into the region's finest amusement park. It's such a pity that Six Flags considers selling this park, my home, a quick way out of their self-inflicted money problems. Hopefully, the City will be able to figure this one out on their own this time around. I am an old man now, and I want to enjoy my retirement in peace." -Samuel Jenkins

Kevin Richards - chief financial officer

Edited by JonnyRCT3

It looks to me like Kennywood is the smarter choice coming from a park enthusiast, but from a business standpoint, CNL may get their turnover a lot faster. Kennywood may have a more long term solution, but with the debt, it seems like going the fast money way may be the only way to keep the park afloat. It's a shame because that will likely kill off the homey feel of the park.

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Kevin Richards - Chief financial officer

14437513336_4fbdc77295_o.jpg

BackWoods Buffet, 1972 (1972 - 1980)

Kennywood amusement Park, and CNL Financial Group made a proposal six weeks ago to acquire Six Flags Valley Hills. Both offered fantastic redevelopment plans to assure us of their commitment to maintaining the amusement park. Unfortunately, the City re-appraised the land themselves and came back with $88,000 per acre, or $13.2 million for all 150 acres. This is a 26 percent increase, or $3.45 million more than the previous $65,000 - $9.75 million land appraisal. This unfortunately, was what made CNL Financial Group drop out of the offer, as they were unwilling to pay more than $10 million for the land.

14460619085_a7989c4745_o.jpg

CobbleStone Cafe, 1975

(1975 - 1996)

Kennywood amusement park, also demanded change in contract. Due to the increased land value, they demanded a 3% tax break for the next 25 years, with a .1% increase each year, eventually ending up with a 5.5% tax break. The City quickly denied this request and demanded that the park must include at least 5 new local businesses as vendors in the park, in time for the next operating season. Kennywood countered this demand by also demanding zoning rights to possibly build a hotel on the property in the future. The city quickly denied this request as it would detract from the local hotel's businesses. Kenywood Amusement Park ultimately dropped out of the deal as the City demanded to much, and refused to compensate for anything.

14459254762_c0d784edb4_o.jpg

Rotor, 1976

(1976 - 1986)

Now Six Flags Valley Hills has no potential buyers, and the fiscal year's end is approaching. Soon Six Flags Theme Park's Inc. will cease funding to the park, and Valley Hills will remain management-less. Which leaves a high probability of the park being unable to reopen next season.

14274016150_d7ac85c95c_o.jpg

Gladiator, 1987

(1987 - 1999)

Samuel Jenkins, the man responsible for Valley Hill's revitalization in the 1980's was outraged by this turn of events.

"The City board of directors need to realize that there are two parts of a business deal. Not only have they refused to cooperate & compensate like children. They have also scared off all potential buyers that were committed to maintaining Valley Hills, which should of been the focus of the whole arrangement. Unfortunately, money and politics blinded the board members and now the City is faced with a huge financial blow. It is unfortunate that it had to end like this."

14459511914_a46d48a758_o.jpg

Phoenix, 1989

(1989 - 1995)

It's been a fun ride!

14460723055_74bc24016a_o.jpg

Valley Hills, 1972

(1972 - 2004)

I'm predicting a Kentucky Kingdom-like scenario for Valley Hills!

You mean Ed Hart might take over? Would be fun.

^Yeah, kind of, but having the park stay closed for a few years until someone like Ed Hart takes over the park and reopens it!

I wonder what will happen to the rides, like where would they end up if Valley Hills had closed?

What do you mean?

Merlin?

My coasters need more color.

I'm still hanging on to hope that it will find a buyer! I am not ready to let this park go!

It's going to take more than a few dense City board members to destroy Valley Hills' amusement empire.

I'm predicting a Kentucky Kingdom-like scenario for Valley Hills!

You mean Ed Hart might take over? Would be fun.

^Yeah, kind of, but having the park stay closed for a few years until someone like Ed Hart takes over the park and reopens it!

Intriguing.

Ooh. As much as I hate seeing the park possibly ending like this, it was a great story and an amazing twist at the end.
That was a nice and sweet farewell article. It was a lot of fun reading the park's story and you did a great job with the park. One of the best

RCT3 projects I've seen!

Please don't end it!!!
This is definitely one of the greatest RCT3 projects I have seen. You really did a good job with this JonnyRCT3.

R.I.P. Valley Hills (1972-2004)

This was a great park and I loved every part of the story. It's going to be sad to see Valley Hills go. This update makes me want to sing "It's So hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday"

Valley Hills will be missed.

This was a great park with a great story. Sad ending, though. Hope your next park is just as good!

Thank you all for comments. Don't worry, Valley Hills isn't going anywhere anytime soon. All part of the story.

I thought I'd add a little spice to the story-telling as this era was meant to be rather 'bland' when compared to previous years. Now that this phase (Six Flags) is over, Valley Hills will (well, at least I'm planning on) return to it's classic feel, with a modern twist.

Monday, October 25, 2004

Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. officially terminated their contract with Valley Hills amusement park on October 1. This includes all licences and property's associated with the theme park company. The City board was beginning to make final preparations on what to do with the park when they received a very interesting phone call on October 10. The persons on the other side of the call ask to remain discreet for the time being. However, the City board seems very interested with the mystery company that has made an irresistible offer.

14300063968_8abbb3921e_o.jpg

The City board has been very cooperative so far, they have to take what they can get now. So far, the company has agreed to pay for the Amusement Park, the land and assume the parks debt.

14483267581_af554bb65e_o.jpg

However, they demand that the land have minimal zoning restrictions, and all previous City involvement with the park to be terminated. They also demand that the City government's only involvement will be in collecting taxes as they see the City as being ill-advised, inexperienced ,and closed-minded. They find the City board as a corrupt group of people that shouldn't have such an influence over a $150 million dollar property.

14486643535_92376176f0_o.jpg

The discreet company has also offered a 7-year $15 million-plus investment plan to increase revenue and attendance by at least another 20 percent, while also improving upon the park's infrastructure. The company has a lengthy experience in the amusement industry, and is using it's knowledge of the industry to to persuade the City board that they are well-equipped for management. The City board seems very confident in this company and have until November 10th to make a decision.

Friday, November 12, 2004

The City's decision.

Valley Hills amusement park has officially made the transition from Six Flags Theme Parks Inc., to being sub-managed by the City, to now being part of a billion-dollar amusement park chain. A $150 million dollar purchase was made on November 10th to purchase the amusement park. The payment comes from a regional amusement park empire, whose headquarters are located on the sandy shores of Lake Erie in Sandusky, Ohio. Cedar Fair Entertainment Company now officially manages & owns West Virginia's premiere amusement park, Valley Hills. Cedar Fair Entertainment Company finds the park to have "infinite potential" and "a valuable asset to the companies portfolio". Valley Hills amusement park is scheduled to re-open in May of 2005 under their new Cedar Fair branding. Cedar Fair promises "F.U.N". Family entertainment, Ultimate vacations, and Next-level thrills!

14464138376_492f3858a2_o.png

Luckily, Valley Hills is a place I can return to.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Here's my prediction about what Cedar Fair is going to do with Valley Hills in terms of renaming the rides. The former Looney Tunes kiddie land would be renamed "Camp Snoopy", The Superman: Ultimate Escape coaster would be renamed to "Wicked Twister", Batman: The Ride would be renamed to "Blackhawk", Déjà Vu would be renamed to "Flip Side", Road Runner Express would be renamed to "Woodstock Express", Tweety's Twirl would be renamed to "Camp Snoopy Carousel".

P.S. don't make Valley Hills into another Geuga Lake!