TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New B&M FAMILY coaster at Happy Valley Shanghai!

And I remember a video where Vekoma/WDI tested the swinging wagons from the Seven Drawfs on a trailer attached to a van that speeded through a parking lot.

Really?? Wow that must have been great! Oh, these vekoma guys...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Doubt B&M will keep the Vests for those Rides where you need to be kept in the Proper Riding Position.

This is a really good point - part of the reason that shoulder harnesses exist is to keep riders in an upright seating position at all times.

Very true. Werner Stengel said so about those shoulder things on Olympia Looping. On an interview he said "and we had to add those to keep riders in a proper position". He didn't mention extra safety or anything.

So I think this is the same deal with vest harnesses.

Thanks for the pics Tetsune/Happy Valley staff. I have to admit the train looks rather bare and "mechanical"... The Vekoma version is prettier. But the curves are sexy!

No Doubt B&M will keep the Vests for those Rides where you need to be kept in the Proper Riding Position.

This is a really good point - part of the reason that shoulder harnesses exist is to keep riders in an upright seating position at all times.

It is a valid point but if some crazy intense rides like skyrush with up to 5 Gs and forceful transitions (with a few laterals) can have lap bars why can't these new not so intense B&Ms have them too?

The design on those trains is a double-edged sword. They provide a spacious ride, but suffer from being lengthy. Which inevitably call for increased radius.

I don't know, it doesn't look much longer - if at all - than the Vekoma train.

Intamin could take a lesson from this. Intamin inverted trains are hideous!

Do you mean they way they look, or the way they ride (the restraints?) ?

I actually really like the look of them, but I'm not to found of the restraints.

I don't know, I'm quite a fan of the 2x2 Intamin inverted trains. Maybe some of those (tornado twins) would benefit from the use of modified restraints?

I wrote to (well, my wife did) Sascha at intamin and asked about the inverted train. He said that they could not incorporate the new lap bars to them with the newest safety norms, but that they are looking into using the Storm Runner type of OTSR on them. For a family version they could most likely use it without the shoulder straps. (like how they originally planned on Tornado at Bakken, before they opted for the full OTSR because of the lower height limit)

I really hope somebody builds an Intamin invert soon. Intamin have learned so much since the last one was built in the early 2000's

It is a valid point but if some crazy intense rides like skyrush with up to 5 Gs and forceful transitions (with a few laterals) can have lap bars why can't these new not so intense B&Ms have them too?

You would have to ask the Manufacturer and/or Park about why specifically an Overhead Lap Bar only was used on SkyRush. There could be an infinite amount of reasons such as Ride Design or the Park Specifically Wanting no Overhead Lap Bars with Shoulder Bars like those used on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit (to keep riders in the proper riding position). Wicked at Lagoon uses Lap Bars because the Owners of the Park Insisted the ride only use them. That is why Wicked has the Unique "Lap Trays" that it does.

^ Totally possible. Vekoma is expanding in China very well, much better than any foreign companies. At least the parks won't know they made a wrong decition before the ride opened.

At least a Vekoma giga coaster would be better than a Chinese Knockoff giga coaster.

^agree! but I'd really like to see a Vekoma Hyper, the only problem is that that would be in Asia only, because in the USA instead of a Vekoma they would rather buy a B&M obviously. In Europe, they would put a B&M or an Intamin (Or even Gerstlauer, those guys are making some crazy stuff nowadays) In Africa would be difficult, In S. America might be but i wouldnt be so sure (would be a miracle)

So the only place would be in Asia (but its too far away )

I would also like to see what they could do with a hyper or giga. I mean, I know they build the infamous SLCs but lately their rides haven't been so bad, have they?

well, thats true. I'd love to see a bigger version (like twice I think) of the red track of Battlestar Galactica, also the launch to be faster, so instead of being a family coaster, it would be a fast, sweet, twisty-thrilling rollercoaster

In the past I've noticed that on the ABC Rides page under coasters they show pictures of SFMM's Goliath so I wonder if they absorbed some of Giovanola's former designers.

Actually I'm happy that B&M is trying the family route for their coasters. Of all the coaster companies they need a bit more diversification in their product line.

Not going to lie... I am loving the way this coaster looks. Its unique. Its not like every other B&M on the face of this earth. The lay out is simple, and the trains are *gasp* 2 across* NO WAY!!! ... Seriously though... I love the way this coaster looks, and I love that B&M is doing family coasters.