TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New B&M FAMILY coaster at Happy Valley Shanghai!

While Vekoma makes the ride look better, B&M uses less supports and it seems to have tighter twists and turns than Vekoma.

Is it really that fewer of supports?

Number wise, probably not, but it definitely looks to be a bit "cleaner." It could be the colors of the supports and lack of true theming around the coaster, but... the B&M one seems to be more "open." That could be a good thing or a bad thing as many rides have neat areas of interaction with their supports, but who knows...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Vekoma makes the ride look better, B&M uses less supports and it seems to have tighter twists and turns than Vekoma.

The B&M has less supports because their box track is beefier than the Vekoma track. What they saved in cost of columns was probably offset by the added cost of the stronger track.

I'm very curious to see the train for this thing though. I wonder if its a brand new train or just a 2-3 car Banshee train...Does anyone happen to know the price this coaster ran? Even though it's pretty small, I'm guessing it cost a pretty penny.

^Roller Coasters, especially B&Ms are ridiculously expensive. You get what you pay for. You buy a Vekoma, you get the sub-par Vekoma experience . You buy a B&M you get the ultra-smooth B&M experience. You buy an Intamin, you experience downtime.

B&M could take any Vekoma ride and make it 200x more comfortable. The reason they chose B&M is a no-brainer.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I didn't think they would just literally take out the vests. I assumed they would do some more changes to the bars holding the lap bars.

It's a bit odd to see these trains from B&M but probably it's just a matter of getting used to them.

The trains looks great, hopefully B&M can adapt those restraints to bigger coasters.

Eh, I wouldn't bet on it honestly.

Yeah, but would be nice if they did. Other manufacturers can make inversions with just lap bars (Mack, Intamin, Gerstrauler, Zierer...), and seeing that new B&M coasters doesn't have harsh transitions... It would make for a better ride experience.

The trains looks great, hopefully B&M can adapt those restraints to bigger coasters.

Eh, I wouldn't bet on it honestly.

I've thought it could be possible that the new trains have included the vests as a "test" or "precaution" to see how everything works out with guests, and that future major installations could feature lap bar-only trains. But who knows.

But who knows.

Me. I talked about that with Walter Bolliger (brag brag), and he is happy with the vest thing.

Yeah that, but really, this isn't the way B&M works, testing stuffs IRL they're not entierely sure about. I mean, they test their seat designs before the first ride with them open to the public.

Just like I still think wing-riders are not the first step toward a B&M 4D coaster, but a product on its own.

I mean, they test their seat designs before the first ride with them open to the public.

I wonder how that is done, exactly. I mean, they obviously have a way to test them but some aspects are only evident under "ride circumstances" (twists and turns, G forces...).

Maybe that's why skyrush's restraints have a problem under extreme airtime. Just a guess

I honestly don't know for sure, but I once saw that Mack has a kind of test seat that can do loops on itself. Plus the test round track they built for Arthur.

And I remember a video where Vekoma/WDI tested the swinging wagons from the Seven Drawfs on a trailer attached to a van that speeded through a parking lot.

As others mentioned, those are the type of restraints I would love to see on big B&M coasters. Just get rid of the stupid vests. Note the Intamin shoulder straps (including the awful metal/plastic ones on Maverick) are ready to be gone with a few turns of an Allen wrench. They may not want to remove them, but the designer was thinking ahead.

Well, a B&M family coastercdoesnt really surprise me... Their rides were getting less intense for the past 10-15 years or so... Other manufacturers have taken over the intense "thrill" ride scene now I guess.

Now that is totally untrue! B&M builds two or three "thrill" rides a year. Their coasters in my opinion are still the best overall. Vekomas are terrible save their GIBs, Intamins are unreliable, but B&Ms are both smooth and reliable... Well, many people would disagree since B&M doesn't make a lot of intense coasters...but yeah, that's what I believe.

Well, a B&M family coastercdoesnt really surprise me... Their rides were getting less intense for the past 10-15 years or so... Other manufacturers have taken over the intense "thrill" ride scene now I guess.

Vekomas are terrible save their GIBs, Intamins are unreliable, but B&Ms are both smooth and reliable...

I would have agreed a few years ago but lately i've loved a lot of recent Vekoma rides, Grizzly at Hong Kong was great, Millenium at Fantasy Island was smooth and looking at my ride bucket list a lot of them are vekoma, intamin, RMC or a few other companies, I think i've only got 1 B&M on my list which id go out of my way for which is Sky Scrapper, yet for vekoma i've got their sting-ray concept, the tilting coaster and aren't Vekoma also working with RMC to make wildfire which I would add to my list?. I heard Kumali was quite a smooth SLC too. The last B&M I did had quite a rattle on my front seat ride (Hair Raiser) and as for the intamins coasters and flat-rides, on all my travels across Korea and Japan they've always been open when I went to the parks save for T Express and thats due to my astonishing bad luck, and Everlands strict weather policy more than reliability.