TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR New Front Page In Development!

Which version of the new TPR Front Page do you like better?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the new TPR Front Page do you like better?

• Option 1
    • Option 2

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it! It's still has the same old TPR charm, only taking it to the next level. It's kinda like having sex with the same partner, only now they finally decided to do anal. Me likey!

Guy is the master of the analogy.

You know, I realized I should probably explain a bit of why we chose which option we did. While the voting was not the deciding factor, the overwhelming response for Option 1 was certainly noted, and even throughout the voting process, I was much leaning towards Option 2. But here are some thoughts...

- Option 2 looked GREAT on wider, bigger screens at a higher resolution. But if someone had an older, smaller monitor, or had a slightly lower resolution setting, that big image was just TOO BIG and it was all that you saw on the screen.

- Another issue with Option 2 was the bigger the image, the harder it could be to find a compelling shot to put on the front page. When we were in little tiny 150x75 boxes, it was easy to find a small portion of a picture from an update to include on the front page. But now, you really need to have a very good, high-res, striking image for the front. Option 1 was a nice "in between" size.

- A lot of people had concerns about the Twitter feed. Ultimately, we decided that for people who don't like or don't need Twitter, having it on the front page doesn't really do anything for or against them. And, in the off chance, we actually DO post a few interesting things to Twitter that is NOT included on the front page, it now appears on the front page! (for example, we just posted a link to a video we rode in Taiwan on our twitter, but not to our front page. And now it appears on both.)

- We also thought this might be a good way to introduce people to Twitter that don't have an account! We really like Twitter and feel it's a great way to keep people up to speed on what is happening moment to moment on TPR. So we would encourage people to follow us on Twitter.

- Overall, we looked at both options on a number of different screens and we just felt that Option 1 was a better 'fit."

But here's a little secret. The database for both options pulls from the same source. As of right now, we are not planning to add or change anything and if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go with option 2, you still can. Click this link: http://www.themeparkreview.com/index_new2.php

I will say that the Option 2 page is an "unsupported" version of the TPR Front page and might certainly change or break at any time. And if it stops working, we don't plan to go back and fix it, but you can certainly bookmark it or set your home page to it.

But we really hope you do like the current front page and would support us and stick with that one!

--Robb "Thanks everyone for your support!" Alvey

So now that the new front page has been up all week and in full use, what does everyone think?

I think it has a clean modern look to it. It is colorful, as it always has been, yet it feels like a 21st century website.

I did notice a slight bug but that was previously mentioned as a known issue in this thread.

So now that the new front page has been up all week and in full use, what does everyone think?

Looks good, but I found a bug. The YouTube player doesn't fit properly in the space. Also, the "featured video" bar is in the way so it's hard to close the advertisements when they come up during the video...

517545764_ScreenShot2014-01-31at11_50_34PM.thumb.png.3a21f62ff364de780005f38b69008673.png

I'd really like to see at least the new navigation bar implemented across the entire site.

Today is a great example of how the Twitter feed benefits the front page. We are tweeting a lot of stuff from both coasts that we aren't able to post to the forum right away!

Edited by robbalvey

Today is a great example of how the Twittet feed benefits the front page. We are tweeting a lot of stuff from both coasts that we aren't able to post to the forum right away!

This is true. I've never cared for Twitter, but it was good to see the feed on the TPR front page about various events.

There are a few major bugs still left to fix:

- High res photos for the "random update" section

- Limiting the recent update columns to the past 20 updates. (right now they like scroll about 100 of them!)

- The Featured video YouTube box is still a little wonky

- The "Join the Mailing List" link is off-center

The front page should have videos on it too.

There are a few major bugs still left to fix:

- High res photos for the "random update" section

- Limiting the recent update columns to the past 20 updates. (right now they like scroll about 100 of them!)

- The Featured video YouTube box is still a little wonky

- The "Join the Mailing List" link is off-center

The front page should have videos on it too.

It already does