TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR New Front Page In Development!

Which version of the new TPR Front Page do you like better?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the new TPR Front Page do you like better?

• Option 1
    • Option 2

Hey,

I may be a drunk Aussie redneck who rarely visits the front page. So feel free to ignore my feedback ;D

Both options seem to be restricted horizontally to a pre-determined width. Having the twitter feed in the top only restricts this view further.

I would love if you could have the page developed in such a way that it scales for many different screen widths.

If you cant, dump the Twitter bar! Its just too real estate hungry. Perhaps you can work in a Twitter "ticker"?

It would be interesting knowing if anyone still accesses twitter posts via websites as well. I get the feeling that if anyone wants to know what's going on with a Twitter feed then they would already have subscribed, otherwise throw the important messages in a news post. If the Twitter feed is valuable for new followers or similar then how about rolling the two different news columns (official updates and news) in to the same column and differentiate with different background colours or icons??

I havent read any of the replies to this thread because im too bloody lazy, but hopefully there is someone in the community with exposure to web design who can advise better than I can.

Good luck!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I am NOT a fan of twitter, I like the smaller size of the main picture box.

That being said, having the twitter feed there, probably saves you time in announcing certain updates, so having it there to scroll thru does have its advantages.

I think I'm going to end up being in the minority here, but I prefer option 2. I feel like the twitter feed clutters up the page more than is necessary especially with the two feeds directly below the slideshow and the rotating announcement links just above it.

I do however prefer the size of option 1's slide show, it feels about the right size on my monitors (24", 1920x1080 resolution). Option 2's slideshow really does dominate the page, and I'm not a huge fan of that. To keep the image size right though I understand why it is larger.

I would also prefer a font on the navigation that better matches the rest of the page. The typewriter font just looks/feels out of place, if that makes sense.

I am totally digging the new design though, great work so far!

I voted option #2.

Robb,

Not knowing enough about Twitter and not being much of a social media fan, I was hoping you could confirm something for me (I apologize up front if I may have missed this somewhere in the thread)...

Would it just be you and the TPR mods in control of posting the Tweets (like shown in your link) or could anyone post a Tweet to the front page? If it was just TPR mods posting new up-to-the-minute announcements and reports, I could see the benefits of having this on the front page.

Overall, I still prefer the widened report banner at the top though...as others have mentioned, it grabs your attention right away.

I've been doing some more testing with different resolutions, etc, and I feel like I'm starting to lean more towards Option 1 with the Twitter box. And it's actually NOT because of the Twitter box, but because of the size of the image. I actually agree that the version with the Twitter box is more cluttered, but the reality is that unless you have a 1080 screen, you are seeing something like this:big.thumb.jpg.b1031c05c7e4abd3064cde7e827f0109.jpg

and the big picture is REALLY dominating.

With the smaller image, I feel that ANYTHING we put to the right of it will feel more cluttered, but I also think it feels LESS cluttered than our current front page. I also agree (and thought this even before it was mentioned in this thread) that having the Twitter feed can be kind of redundant in that many times the things we tweet out just bring you back to TPR's front page anyway. But really, that may not be as often as you'd think.

I really just can't think of anything better to put to the right of the image so for now, the Twitter feed it is.

The other issue with the larger image is that it means we need to have a stock of really big images to put there to make it seem compelling. Sometimes we'll get images from a park or whatever that aren't even that big and having to stretch them out could look really bad.

That being said, I personally prefer the option with the bigger image, but I'm leaning towards not going with my personal preference due to other issues that I feel could have bigger negative knock-on effects for us in the future that would be difficult to bounce back from.

All this feedback is FANTASTIC! Please keep it coming!

--Robb

I think that the issue of "clutter" might be able to be resolved with a little bit of space between each element on the page (photo slideshow, twitter feed, etc).

Well I'm all for option 2. First, I absolutely hate twitter. Second, it seems redundant, you already have links to your trip reviews on the front page why do you need a feed saying the same thing. Third, I hate twitter. Fourth, it ruins the look. Fifth, I hate twitter.

Since most people like option 1 and it could work better with the picture, maybe we could put weekly polls there?

Since most people like option 1 and it could work better with the picture, maybe we could put weekly polls there?

Ooh! Ooh! How about recent forum posts?

Perhaps instead of twitter you could do a featured store item of the week/day/month? The store isn't a very prominent part of the site, and I can understand not wanting to throw it constantly in people's faces, but I feel that might be a good use of the space and it might help sell extra things to keep the lights on around here.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of things like weekly polls. Not gonna happen.

And on the issue with "most recent forum posts" the problem with that is that we (the admins) need to be able to control what gets posted to our front page. If you leave it to "most recent forum posts" you could theoretically have a troll in the middle of the night post 100 times "TPR SUCKS BALLS" and then that is what would appear on the front page of our site.

These are all things I have to take into consideration.

Edited by robbalvey

I looked at both and mainly saw one large difference between both: Twitter feed, or no Twitter Feed. While my ADD-driven mind tends to dislike pages with more smaller words on it than pictures, I do think its great you don't have to leave and visit another social media website to keep current on some things going on around TPR. Plus, the banner with the picture carousel isn't huge. Outside of that, I totally dig the separate scroll-able columns for "News & Updates" and "Official TPR Updates!" My choice is option 1.

So, let me ask another question....

Those of you who voted for Option 1, for example, could you live with Option 2? And vice-versa if you voted for Option 2?

I guess what I'm asking is there anyone who voted for one option over the other because they felt VERY STRONGLY against the other one?

--Robb

I'm not dead set on either one, and would have no issues with which one you choose to go with. I'm here cause I love the peeps, and you all seem to get my sense of humor. I just seemed to like the feel of #1 a bit more.

I kinda liken it to my view of marriage. Honey, you can do whatever you want, as long as the BJs continue, I'll always come back from my work trips.

Is this shallow?

Like I care.

I guess what I'm saying is, "Hey hey TPR baby, you go ahead and get that front page job. As long as you're doing it for you, and not some jackhole that made you feel inadequate. If it makes you feel good about yourself, then more power to you sweet cheeks. Just don't change your content baby. Ya know, what's inside. That's why I love you, and that's why I always will.

Not that a new set of "bolt ons" won't be appreciated.

So, let me ask another question....

Those of you who voted for Option 1, for example, could you live with Option 2? And vice-versa if you voted for Option 2?

I guess what I'm asking is there anyone who voted for one option over the other because they felt VERY STRONGLY against the other one?

--Robb

I voted option 2 because I'm strongly against twitter. I'd be fine if it was filled with something else, but I'm tired of my favorite sites being taken over by twitter and facebook.

Those of you who voted for Option 1, for example, could you live with Option 2?

Yep, I could live with either one.

Actually, I'm liking Option 2 more the more I compare the two. Funny how that works.