TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What should be the next Six Flags clone?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: "What ride should become Six Flags's next clone?"

El Toro. Clone it at every park. Including Great Adventure. Just build another one. They had two Rolling Thunders, why not two El Toros?

Thread done!

Racing El Toro... sounds... interesting. LOL. We might get a racing RMC if SFMM keeps both sides on the rumored Iron Colossus. As for clones, there's a lot flying about X-Flight. I don't know. You never know what SF will do.

What about a Cyclone clone at every park? Give everyone a chance to ride a replica of a classic. Small enough to where placing it would not be a problem.

They tried this already.

Six Flags Astroworld - Texas Cyclone

Six Flags Magic Mountain - Psyclone

Six Flags Over Georgia - Georgia Cyclone

Six Flags Great America - Viper

Only two of them still even exist and only one of them is even rideable. I think this experiment proved to be a FAIL which is why they finally stopped cloning them!

Robb, which one do you consider rideable? I've only been on GA Cyclone which, while rough, gave some great rides!

I agree with Robb and others that there should have been more El Toros. Not necessarily clones, but just more parks with Intamin Wooden Coasters. I've got a feeling that if Six Flags hadn't gotten into financial trouble shortly after El Toro's debut (resulting in the next new large coaster chainwide not coming until 2011) at least SFGAm, SFMM, and probably SFOT as well would have ended up with an Intamin woodie. At least now it looks like Rocky Mountain is the preferred large coaster manufacturer of Six Flags, so we've got a chance to see one of those in every Six Flags park in 10 years.

As it is now, Dare Devil Dive, Green Lantern: First Flight, and X-Flight seem like the most likely coasters to become mass produced if the chain goes back into installing cloned coasters. In the event that Six Flags started installing clones again, my guess as to what each park would get is:

LR: Dare Devil Dive (with theming removed)

GE: Green Lantern (with alternative theming)

SFA: Green Lantern

SFDK: Dare Devil Dive (with alternative theming)

SFFT: Dare Devil Dive

SFGAdv: X-Flight (possibly with alternative theming)

SFGAm: already has X-Flight

SFMM: already has Green Lantern, possibly add X-Flight

SFM: Green Lantern

SFNE: Dare Devil Dive

SFOG: already has Dare Devil Dive

SFOT: X-Flight

SFStL: Dare Devil Dive

IMO, I don't see DDD being cloned, because I feel if it were to be it would have happened a few Seasons ago, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I just went to RCDB and saw that DDD was installed in 2011, so I withdraw my comment. I was thinking it was installed in 2008 or 2009.

Edited by Vonni

I couldn't agree more about the El Toro thing, I'm so ready for more Intamin wood coasters.

I can't understand why there is only one of these in the US. It's been voted the #1 wood coaster in the world, it's incredibly popular, it's aged well and like Robb said it's relatively inexpensive for what it is and it's pretty reliable.

Why is there only one of these in the US?

I couldn't agree more about the El Toro thing, I'm so ready for more Intamin wood coasters.

I can't understand why there is only one of these in the US. It's been voted the #1 wood coaster in the world, it's incredibly popular, it's aged well and like Robb said it's relatively inexpensive for what it is and it's pretty reliable.

Why is there only one of these in the US?

I agree completely, but I think the reason these haven't been replicated in other U.S. parks is probably the initial expense of building them compared to other types of wooden coasters (such as GCI's rides). As I recall, the Intamin plug-and-plays come with a hefty price tag (although they aren't as "maintenance heavy" at more traditional wooden coasters). At least that's my understanding.

But, yes, we need more "El Toro-like" woodies in the U.S.

^According to Robb, wikipedia said it cost 12 m $. Is that considered expensive?

Not really... Banshee is going to cost 25 million and while we haven't ridden it yet it's going to be a cold day in hell before it comes close to El Toro in any polls whatsoever. Wild Eagle at Dollywood cost 20 million and again... it's nowhere close to El Toro (and I actually really like Wild Eagle).

I know those are steel coasters and they have a lower cost to maintain but it still seems like a great value for what it is.

^According to Robb, wikipedia said it cost 12 m $. Is that considered expensive?

Thunderhead at Dollywood cost $7 million when it was built, and Prowler at Worlds of fun cost around $8 million, also according to Wikipedia.

But you have to be careful when making comparisons--lots of factors to consider.

GigaG, I'm pretty sure he was talking about Viper at SFGAm. Not only is it a rideable Cyclone clone, it's arguably the best coaster at the park.

Agreed. I liked the GA Cyclone back in the day when it didn't try to murder you, but the last couple of times I was at the park, Cyclone was just so rough it wasn't enjoyable at all for me.

I agree completely, but I think the reason these haven't been replicated in other U.S. parks is probably the initial expense of building them compared to other types of wooden coasters (such as GCI's rides). As I recall, the Intamin plug-and-plays come with a hefty price tag (although they aren't as "maintenance heavy" at more traditional wooden coasters). At least that's my understanding.

Wanted to add my opinion to that - Rocky Mountain helped build El Toro(as in constructed not sure what the Intamin/RMC workload blance was). So I would assume now that Rocky Mountain builds coasters on their own Six Flags have been going to them to effectively cut out the middle man (and probably save money).

GigaG, I'm pretty sure he was talking about Viper at SFGAm. Not only is it a rideable Cyclone clone, it's arguably the best coaster at the park.

Agreed. I liked the GA Cyclone back in the day when it didn't try to murder you, but the last couple of times I was at the park, Cyclone was just so rough it wasn't enjoyable at all for me.

I couldn't agree more about this! Ever since they changed to those square wheels, the thing has been brutal . I go every Easter and the past two years have seen some Topper Track added. Those sections are really fun again, but when it hits the old track from the new, it is like a car wreck.

I would love to see RMC's take on the Cyclone, or better yet; the Crystal Beach Cyclone.

As far as clones, I'd agree with El Toro, or something like Balder if the park needed something a little less "big."

P.S. - every park could use a MindBender from SFoG as well.

I too do not get why more Intamin woodies have not been built anywhere. They're not that much more expensive, seem reliable, and are among the highest rated coasters in the world. Clones of El Toro or Balder would be really easy to market. Like Robb said, the press releases write themselves! I just do not get why they haven't built more of them.

dt

Six Flags doesn't seem to be making many cloned coasters lately, all the parks are getting different stuff.

Honestly, I could see X-Flight being built in other Six Flags parks.

I think X-Flight, for sure, should be cloned.

I'm not sure I'm stretching the theme of this thread here, but there should be clones of SFNE's Batman - the Dark Knight, but under a different name and theme since most Six Flags-owned parks have Batman-themed rides. I think the layout is ideal for all parks lacking a floorless coaster, plus many Six Flags parks need a coaster like it!