TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vekoma Corkscrew vs Arrow Corkscrew

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vekoma Corkscrews had AMAZING airtime in the front sea before heading right into the double inversion. there was even mild air in the hill before the hélix. OK they aged and turned rather rough but for old fashioned fun, they were awesome. I remember Walibi Belgium's old times when they still had the Jumbo Jet, the Tornado and the unmodified Sirocco... Nostalgia !

I go for Vekoma too. The Super Manèges at La Ronde has a few nice pops of airtime and it's not too rough. All the Arrow ones I've been on were just rough. However I havn't been on Goudurix and it's a Vekoma, so... It probably depends of the ride.

Also thumbs up for putting a photo of The Great Escape! One of my favorite parks !

I've only been on an Arrow corkscrew (the original at Silverwood) and I liked it pretty well. It had a nice pop of air in the back seat on the first drop, as wasn't that rough either (no headbanging). I still have yet to try a Vekoma corkscrew but I'm fairly certain it'll be the one at Playland PNE in Vancouver.

The Vekoma Corkscrew/Bayerncurve definitely looks like it gave parks more coaster for their money and space, but kudos to Arrow for making the jump to looping roller coasters along with Schwarzkopf.

Arrow. They still have good coasters. People always talk about how great Tennessee Tornado and Lochness Monster are. You ever hear someone talk about how awesome ninja is? I think not. I will say though that the larger arrow loopers are more rough. In the end, all looping coasters must bow down to Schwarzkopf loopers.

Arrow. They still have good coasters. People always talk about how great Tennessee Tornado and Lochness Monster are. You ever hear someone talk about how awesome ninja is? I think not. I will say though that the larger arrow loopers are more rough. In the end, all looping coasters must bow down to Schwarzkopf loopers.

Tennessee Tornado and Loch Ness Monster both don't have corkscrews

I love Viper at SFMM and Demon at SFGAm. But Vekoma just never satisfy me. Yes, Arrow make rough coasters but none of them are being complaint as much as Goudurix which is one of the largest Vekomas

• 2 years later...
I've only been on an Arrow corkscrew (the original at Silverwood) and I liked it pretty well. It had a nice pop of air in the back seat on the first drop, as wasn't that rough either (no headbanging). I still have yet to try a Vekoma corkscrew but I'm fairly certain it'll be the one at Playland PNE in Vancouver.

I've been on both of these coasters now at least twice, plus one other Arrow, and this is how I'd rate them:

Arrow- Silverwood: Great little coaster, I love the front but the back does give you a bit of air. My family complained of massive headbanging during Scarywood? So I suppose it's all relative, but I say 7/10 considering its age and heritage

Vekoma- Playland: Fantastic! There are multiple little pops of air that are super fun and the ride is glassy smooth compared to an Arrow IMO. I was listening to it the second time I rode it and it's eerily quiet in the slower sections. Very fun 8/10

Arrow- Wild Waves & Enchanted Village: Just awful, I don't know how the same company made this almost 10 years LATER than Silverwood's, added a loop, and managed to mangle it this badly. Maybe it's just aged badly, but that thing hurts, 4/10

Vekoma wins by far from what I have ridden, that thing is awesome!!

P6040590.thumb.JPG.9b529e2bdcb7a4f7ac1fd88e2575a3e2.JPG

VEKOMA

Actually, Vekoma stole arrows design for corkscrew coaster track. It was one of the big nails in arrows coffon. There is a great documentary on arrow that you can find on YouTube that explains it all. Definitely a great thing to watch. Here is the link to the video...

Watch "The Legacy of Arrow Development [FULL DOCUMENTARY]" on YouTube

Only going after the standard Corkscrew design (Nothing like Viper), Vekoma definitely has a better design as it has a little bit of airtime and is more of a ride and not just a drop, turn, corkscrews, brake run.

It pains me to say this but Vekoma makes the better standard corkscrew design. Arrow blows them away with custom designs though.

Arrow had custom designs? Their looping coasters went out of style way too quick because not only were most of them painful, their loopers were a laughable predictable loop, loop, loop, boomerang, and corkscrew. Sure, there were always variations based on the site, but you really can't compare how their designs changed with a company like B&M which just put them to shame in every category.

It pains me to say this but Vekoma makes the better standard corkscrew design. Arrow blows them away with custom designs though.

Arrow had custom designs? Their looping coasters went out of style way too quick because not only were most of them painful, their loopers were a laughable predictable loop, loop, loop, boomerang, and corkscrew. Sure, there were always variations based on the site, but you really can't compare how their designs changed with a company like B&M which just put them to shame in every category.

There are so many things wrong with that post... lol

First of all, Arrow was possibly the most innovative coaster company in history.

Second of all, a "variation in the design" as you put it is a "custom design". Basically all of their coasters were custom designed. Emphasis on "basically", they had a few production models like the corkscrew and I believe the Bat and Vortex are clones of eachother.

Third of all, yes... sometimes elements were in the same order, but that doesn't mean they're not custom designed. They also didn't make a major habit of it.

And finally... I love that that bothers you the few times that arrow does it but then you cite B&M... a company that constantly repeats the loop - dive loop - barrel roll - cobra roll - 2 corkscrews that often interlock model or sometimes has slight variations on it. With the exception of Fury, B&M churns out more predictable, uninspired, conservative rides than anyone.

Also, you have to keep in mind that most of Arrow's designs were done prior to computer aided design and manufacturing. They didn't have No Limits, RCT or even Disney Coaster, let alone a CAD program to allow them to design in 3D space. Just a coat hanger and a piece of paper...designing a complex thing like a roller coaster with a 2d piece of paper is not an easy feat. So, for their time they were pretty innovative....and I assure you at the time that the mega loopers like Shockwave, GASM and Viper were built, they were jaw dropping in comparison for their day. I still miss the intensity of Shockwave at SFGAm.

Also, you have to keep in mind that most of Arrow's designs were done prior to computer aided design and manufacturing. They didn't have No Limits, RCT or even Disney Coaster, let alone a CAD program to allow them to design in 3D space. Just a coat hanger and a piece of paper...designing a complex thing like a roller coaster with a 2d piece of paper is not an easy feat. So, for their time they were pretty innovative....and I assure you at the time that the mega loopers like Shockwave, GASM and Viper were built, they were jaw dropping in comparison for their day. I still miss the intensity of Shockwave at SFGAm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure drafting was around before CAD. Just because they didn't have a way to display an image of a design in real-time 3D doesn't mean they couldn't "design in 3D space." 3D designs can be just as perfectly represented by 2-dimensional drawings, but I see what you mean in that they didn't have as easy-to-use ways to visualize their designs. I just don't think there was a full working knowledge of the physics and stresses associated with steel coasters and their riders, and the resulting issues they can cause, because they were on the cutting edge of the industry at the time. Don't get me wrong, Arrow did great things for roller coasters, but from what I have seen, Vekoma did some of them smarter and better, and it's probably one of the reasons they are still around