TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst ride "neuters"

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though this technically might not be considered "neutering", Viper at SFGAm slows to a crawl at the top of the lift hill where it's barely moving. I think this is mainly done for dramatic effect rather than neutering, but I'd still love to see how much better it would be if they sent it off the lift hill at a faster speed .

Excalibur at Valleyfair has four trim brakes on the first drop, but it is a pretty jerky ride, so this one instance where trims are not necessarily evil.

Viper does not always slow down at the top of the lift. I like it better when it doesn't.

Rides that I find to be quite neutering are Drop Tower at Canada's Wonderland, especially in the fourth car, Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland while trying to exit the seat, Sledgehammer at Canada's Wonderland when the restraint is locked too tight, Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland when the restraint is too loose, and Wild Mouse at Dorney Park each time the car hit the brake because of the groove in the seat. But, the worst ride "neuter" experience I've experienced is every time (well almost every time!) I ride the Crazy Mouse at The Ex every August! I know that sounds odd but, since I'm tall, the small lap bar gets me, especially when the car hits the brakes or goes up the small hills backwards. The only way I avoid that is riding it with the lap bar partially locked. I'm sure there's other rides out there that have caused some uncomfortable moments that I can't think of currently!

Rides that I find to be quite neutering are Drop Tower at Canada's Wonderland, especially in the fourth car, Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland while trying to exit the seat, Sledgehammer at Canada's Wonderland when the restraint is locked too tight, Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland when the restraint is too loose, and Wild Mouse at Dorney Park each time the car hit the brake because of the groove in the seat. But, the worst ride "neuter" experience I've experienced is every time (well almost every time!) I ride the Crazy Mouse at The Ex every August! I know that sounds odd but, since I'm tall, the small lap bar gets me, especially when the car hits the brakes or goes up the small hills backwards. The only way I avoid that is riding it with the lap bar partially locked. I'm sure there's other rides out there that have caused some uncomfortable moments that I can't think of currently!

I'm not sure you understood the question but I like your take on it regardless.

You're right! I thought the question was asking about near-neutering experiences while riding rides! But, now that I've read other comments, I now realize they're referring to things such as trim brakes and other things that greatly slow down coasters.

Well now that we're talking about that kind of neutering, acrophobia at sfog comes to mind. You're pretty much suspended 200 ft in the air by your balls. Awesome ride though, it's worth the slight pain lol.

image.jpg.57d936475865f34d53a674e4a46286ec.jpg

Here's a old photo I found on tpr to illustrate

One that randomly gets on my nerves for no reason is the lift hill coming to a complete stop at the top of Iron Rattler. It sort of takes away the power of the airtime sitting in the back. It's still there but really weak compared to when the lift runs full speed.

Another one is The Beast. There was one trim brake on that ride that took away what felt like half the speed of the ride. Luckily the sensation of speed is still ridiculous and one of the best, but without the trims it could easily jump up to the upper half of my top ten. It was definitely smooth enough that removing the trims wouldn't make it too rough imo

Having now ridden Raging Bull, I wonder why they would put that horrible trim there? It could be an insane ride if the camelback trim, MCBR, and final trim did not grab the train, but instead the ride is neutered. At least the first drop trim doesn't activate... Why is the ride trimmed so much? Do trims really decrease maintenance costs on steel coasters by THAT much?

The first drop doesn't have any trims to activate- those are thankfully just sensors. Still, they do waste a great layout, pointlessly, after that. Maybe their VR will help cover up all the raging lame that comes after the camel-back trim.

Pretty sure I got "spayed" once while trying to board a WindSeeker. It's not like I'm short-legged or anything so not sure how I managed to clock myself like that. Same thing when the restraint on Riddler's Revenge clicks up a notch too high (I'm always the one person who has trouble adjusting it right). TMI? Sorry!

Wild thing's trim brakes. 100% beating a dead horse here! It already died way back on the 3rd hill, no need to make it even lamer! It's coffin trains don't help at all either.

Heck, the layout itself is a ride neuter!

Pretty sure I got "spayed" once while trying to board a WindSeeker. It's not like I'm short-legged or anything so not sure how I managed to clock myself like that. Same thing when the restraint on Riddler's Revenge clicks up a notch too high (I'm always the one person who has trouble adjusting it right). TMI? Sorry!

So true... The reason I don't like windaeekers.

My manhood was fine on the Togo standup next door, but the Windseeker was another story.

So true... The reason I don't like windaeekers.

My manhood was fine on the Togo standup next door, but the Windseeker was another story.

I agree as well! I greatly enjoyed SkyRider as it was very comfortable and just amazing! I'm glad it went to Cavallino Matto opposed to being scrapped. I started riding Windseeker again this year after staying away from it for four years. Anyways, whenever I do ride it, I have to wait for the seat to stop swinging in order to exit the seat otherwise, I would get neutered! I'm sure you may have noticed the same issue on Shockwave when you're the last one to leave the car and Sledgehammer as well when the pod doesn't fully lower to the ground. These rides are amazing but, couldn't they have designed them so that people wouldn't get neutered?

Since we're talking about that kind of neutering now, I got a few.

Possessed at Dorney Park, for some reason, the bottom of the restraint tends to rest directly on my manhood, no matter how I sit. Some of the ops staple you. Hrng.

The Crypt at KD is another one where the restraint ended up somewhere very, very bad.

Continuing with that type of neutering... am I the only one who feels like I'm being neutered by the seats, and restraints on S&S towers?? The little point that comes down between your legs from the bottom of the restraint always kills me when I get thrust into it during the "freefalls."

If we're talking about that type of neuter now, can I just say Disk'O?

As for rides that get the neutering as opposed to inflicting it, how about The Voyage's MCBR? The second half would be amazing if that didn't take the train to a complete stop.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one (unless I missed it)... Tsunami at Clementon Park was in my top 3 for the first two or three years it was open. An age requirement to sit in the back seat was hint enough of how awesome it was, but rather than doing track work, they added brakes to half of the first drop. We used to go there a few times a month... Now I haven't been there since my first ride with said brakes.

This is so accurate. While I never rode it during the early years, it was very highly reviewed by just about everyone as one of the best new wooden coasters, and now they added enough trim brakes to basically stop the train if they wanted, the airtime is gone due to that, and all the awesome curves are now slow and shuffle-y while still being banked for the intended speed. Not to mention it is pretty rough too.

Trims REALLY screwed up this ride.

Since we're talking about that kind of neutering now, I got a few.

Possessed at Dorney Park, for some reason, the bottom of the restraint tends to rest directly on my manhood, no matter how I sit. Some of the ops staple you. Hrng.

The Crypt at KD is another one where the restraint ended up somewhere very, very bad.

Impulse coasters do the same thing to me. I still love them though.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one (unless I missed it)... Tsunami at Clementon Park was in my top 3 for the first two or three years it was open. An age requirement to sit in the back seat was hint enough of how awesome it was, but rather than doing track work, they added brakes to half of the first drop. We used to go there a few times a month... Now I haven't been there since my first ride with said brakes.

This is so accurate. While I never rode it during the early years, it was very highly reviewed by just about everyone as one of the best new wooden coasters, and now they added enough trim brakes to basically stop the train if they wanted, the airtime is gone due to that, and all the awesome curves are now slow and shuffle-y while still being banked for the intended speed. Not to mention it is pretty rough too.

Trims REALLY screwed up this ride.

Call me crazy, but if Clementon took care of the ride and let it run without trims, I think it's probably a top 30 Wooden coaster. The layout is fantastic and I remember it being quite forceful and having solid airtime when I last rode it a few years back. The problem was it shook like an earthquake.