TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst ride "neuters"

I don't have personal knowledge, but I understand the Taz's Texas Tornado / Zonga / Whatever it's called in Mexico now had quite the neuter to the loop shapes and first drop. Thought I would add that to the list.

The loops are exactly the same, they were just lifted about 10-15 feet. The drop received the majority of the modification with that. Fun fact, that neuter only took the ride from 6.5Gs to 6Gs (even though SFDK advertised 5Gs).

That's insane! Is Thriller holding the record as coaster with strongest positive G force?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Th13teen has a trim on the first drop and yes it's noticeable but by the time the train has passed it, everyone has forgotten about the trim and enjoys the ride. Yes the ride would be faster without it but we can't do much to change it

I don't have personal knowledge, but I understand the Taz's Texas Tornado / Zonga / Whatever it's called in Mexico now had quite the neuter to the loop shapes and first drop. Thought I would add that to the list.

The loops are exactly the same, they were just lifted about 10-15 feet. The drop received the majority of the modification with that. Fun fact, that neuter only took the ride from 6.5Gs to 6Gs (even though SFDK advertised 5Gs).

That's insane! Is Thriller holding the record as coaster with strongest positive G force?

No, apparently it's a rather bizarre ride in south Africa which pulls 6.3 Gs.

Here's the RCDB link: rcdb.com/1481.htm

I like this topic. It seems to be simply a debate for who has the worst trims! I guess I'll have to go with the Revolution trims and OTSRs, although I never rode it prior to the changes, but I like the idea of removing the trims and the OTSRs! I guess I would have also preferred Goliath SFMM if the MCBR still slowed the train rather than brought it to a complete stop, but I guess I'll never find out what they would be like without the neutering!

I heard the airtime hill under I305's lift was AMAZING until they added the trim.

if you're talking about the one right before the two bunny hills, that trim was always there from day one and doesn't impact the ride much. if you're talking about any of the others ... they're gone.

^ They were there from day one but they really increased their strength at some point, now those two hills are really just very meh while they used to be much faster.

i think you're wrong. pretty sure they're exactly the same as they were. they aren't adjustable - the force they apply is a function of their length. unless the ones on there now are longer than in old photos, they are the same.

^ They were there from day one but they really increased their strength at some point, now those two hills are really just very meh while they used to be much faster.

i think you're wrong. pretty sure they're exactly the same as they were. they aren't adjustable - the force they apply is a function of their length. unless the ones on there now are longer than in old photos, they are the same.

They are the same as when it opened. The only time it changed was when the trims where added to the first drop, the other trims where mostly removed. They were put back after they modified the turn.

I'll go with GhostRider. The trim brakes really kill the second half of the coaster, and they don't really reduce roughness at all. There are a few that are pretty bad at SFMM as well, but as I never rode them in their original configuration I won't consider them, and I haven't ridden any coaster out of state in multiple seasons to see changes to the ride.

I'm still miffed about the reprofiling of Ripsaw Falls. When Islands of Adventure opened, that was one of my favorite rides there, the drop was utterly insane... then they refurbed it for whatever reason...

For Reference:

Original Drop

vs.

Drop Today

From the look of your pictures the drop either stayed the same or became steeper. In no way does the drop look any tamer than the original way.

I'm still miffed about the reprofiling of Ripsaw Falls. When Islands of Adventure opened, that was one of my favorite rides there, the drop was utterly insane... then they refurbed it for whatever reason...

For Reference:

Original Drop

vs.

Drop Today

From the look of your pictures the drop either stayed the same or became steeper. In no way does the drop look any tamer than the original way.

To me, it looks like they made it so you get more water going down the chute, giving you a wetter ride.

For Reference:

Original Drop

vs.

Drop Today

To me, it looks like they made it so you get more water going down the chute, giving you a wetter ride.

I don't see much difference between those two photos, either. I absolutely hate the damn lapbars they installed on the boats, though.

Edited by cfc

From what I've heard, Raging Bull's trim on the camelback has been there since it opened in 1999. For me it would be V2's holding brake on the back spike. That added to the excitement and I was sad when they stopped using it, though I understand why they stopped.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to add is when Dragon Challenge stopped dueling. I got to ride it right before they stopped it. My favorite part was when both trains were heading towards each other before swooping upwards.

Surprised no one mentioned both trims on Mind Bender at SFOG. I always wondered how it would feel to hit that horizontal and final loop at full speed.

LMAO - If this happened, you would have a train full of unconscious people pulling into the station . That brake before the final loop is probably the only trim brake I would ever be grateful for. Even braked, Mindbender just flys into that final loop. Un-braked - it would feel like you are getting punched in the chest.

Mindbender is one of my all-time favorite coasters, and I have been riding it since it opened (even worked on it in the 80's.) I can honestly say, it has gotten faster (and better) with age, but that final brake is now kind of necessary.

D.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to add is when Dragon Challenge stopped dueling. I got to ride it right before they stopped it. My favorite part was when both trains were heading towards each other before swooping upwards.

That's a really good one... I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more.

That's a really good one... I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more.

That's horrible and stupid. People shouldn't be throwing stuff off of trains. Do you think if Dragon Challenge was in Europe or somewhere other than the US, it would still duel?

On another note, as for g-forces, what about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonsault_Scramble

I never got to experience the Dragons while they were dueling, but when I rode them this summer I thought the dueling aspect would have made the experience a lot better and more fun. As two separate coasters they are okay but nothing to scream about.

The first time I saw that on RCDB (their random roller coaster feature is fun), I wondered why such a drastic modification was necessary. It's like they basically removed the old coaster and installed a new one.

From what I've heard, Raging Bull's trim on the camelback has been there since it opened in 1999. For me it would be V2's holding brake on the back spike. That added to the excitement and I was sad when they stopped using it, though I understand why they stopped.

Raging Bull's trim has been there since day one and has been used since day one, so I don't think it can be called a neuter so much. There are days that it tugs more than others, but I'd argue that the more it tugs, the better ride you're actually getting...

I'm curious why you think they stopped using the spike on V2. I agree it was FAR better with the hold than without.

As for rides that were altered since they first opened, I really enjoyed Mantis it's debut season, and the trim brake and much harder MCBR I think actually made it a lot rougher - it had a bunch of positive Gs holding you down before, now it rattles you like crazy. The lack of dueling with Dragon's Challenge is really too bad although I get why they did it (stupid people). I'm also not a fan of the new trains at the Matterhorn at all.