TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst ride "neuters"

Removing the hold brake on the back spike of Vertical Velocity at SFGAm. I never got to ride it, but I hear it was an awesome experience on the Ride.

If it was like Possessed's holding brake, it was a lot of fun and scary the first few times to be stopped facing down for a second or two. It's too bad they removed it, maybe one day they can add it back?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing the hold brake on the back spike of Vertical Velocity at SFGAm. I never got to ride it, but I hear it was an awesome experience on the Ride.

If it was like Possessed's holding brake, it was a lot of fun and scary the first few times to be stopped facing down for a second or two. It's too bad they removed it, maybe one day they can add it back?

I also really enjoy Possessed's holding break. It almost adds enough to the ride to make it better than Wicked Twister.

I'm surprised that no one have said Expedition Geforce yet.

I was really underwhelmed when I rode it for the first time, you really felt the trims tugging in the train as you went past and the rest of the layout felt really sluggish and didn't deliver the airtime I had gotten the impression that it could deliver.

I was really underwhelmed when I rode it for the first time, you really felt the trims tugging in the train as you went past and the rest of the layout felt really sluggish and didn't deliver the airtime I had gotten the impression that it could deliver.

Expedition TrimForce?

Guess we need to rename some coasters.

Intimidator - Intrimidator

Raging Bull - Sleeping Bull (already being used long ago)

Leviathan - Leviatrim

Vertical Velocity - Vertical no-holding-city

California Screamin' - California Sleepin'

Now we just need a name for Behemoth. Also, how about Ghostrider? The new MCBR kills the second half.

I think at least one of the trims has been removed.

I find it entertaining that EGF and Bizarro have been mentioned a few times in this thread....and they were still ranked 1 and 2 in Mitch's poll last year!

Anyway, my list:

Mean Streak - way too slow and boring for its size thanks to the trims.

Thunderhawk at Dorney - Trims KILL those last few bunny hops.

SuperDooperLooper - I've never thought the ride was exceptional, but I can just see so much more airtime, speed, and intensity if it wasn't for all those brakes.

Speaking of Schwarzkopfs, I'm surprised I didn't see Revolution in this thread. I've never been on it, but the layout looks absolutely awesome, but the combination of brakes and OTSRs have apparently made it a shell of its former self.

SuperDooperLooper - I've never thought the ride was exceptional, but I can just see so much more airtime, speed, and intensity if it wasn't for all those brakes.

All those brakes? There's a trim on the downward section after the mid-course brakes, but I couldn't tell that there were any more brake sections than that.

I find it entertaining that EGF and Bizarro have been mentioned a few times in this thread....and they were still ranked 1 and 2 in Mitch's poll last year!

Anyway, my list:

Mean Streak - way too slow and boring for its size thanks to the trims.

Thunderhawk at Dorney - Trims KILL those last few bunny hops.

Speaking of Schwarzkopfs, I'm surprised I didn't see Revolution in this thread. I've never been on it, but the layout looks absolutely awesome, but the combination of brakes and OTSRs have apparently made it a shell of its former self.

Revolution was mentioned. I must agree, that was one of the most neutered rides I've been on. It crawls through its layout. I didn't find the OTSRs that rough, but it was nevertheless a mediocre ride.

^ Yes, yes it was wonderful...I still remember that ride when I was there last without the trims - many back-to-back rides took place due to no lines and I couldn't get enough of it...

------

I would say riding Revolution was pretty sad with all the trims, Mean Streak is 'smoother' (if anyone cares) but lacks any speed due to the trims on the first drop which forces it to crawl and definitely is now boring, and I actually wasn't a fan of the trims on The Beast this year while going downhill they kick in and made me go, "No trims this time, please no trims this time...ughhh" even though I had some amazing night rides when I got over the fact it slows down in a few places.

I do agree with The Beast, that could pick up the most incredible speed without the myriad of trims it has now. Every time I've been to KI I feel like new trims have been added since my last visit!

Revolution at SFMM is another neutered ride that disappoints me. Apart from the awful OTSRs, it seems to have been pretty heavily trimmed, for e.g. you're braked very harshly after the tunnel and before threading the loop and really crawl into the final brake run. Boo.

Boo. Boo, Wendy Testaburger. Boo.

Sorry, I just HAD to XD

For a wild mouse, I found coast rider wildly dull. Braked to all hell which is disappointing. I recall the one at Legoland to be much better and for sure Goofy's sky school is significantly better. Did I mention its braked all to hell!?

For a wild mouse, I found coast rider wildly dull. Braked to all hell which is disappointing. I recall the one at Legoland to be much better and for sure Goofy's sky school is significantly better. Did I mention its braked all to hell!?

On the bright side, Coast Rider is the smoothest mouse I can recall riding. (Granted, there could be times I didn't pay any mind to equal smoothness on other mice.) I know the characteristic herky-jerkiness of wild mice is supposed to make them more intense and fun, but usually I just find it uncomfortable without being thrilling.

Raging Bull's airtime hill is a neuter. Probably the biggest one in my opinion is the discontinuation of the operation of SFGAm's V2's holding brake.

I don't have personal knowledge, but I understand the Taz's Texas Tornado / Zonga / Whatever it's called in Mexico now had quite the neuter to the loop shapes and first drop. Thought I would add that to the list.

The loops are exactly the same, they were just lifted about 10-15 feet. The drop received the majority of the modification with that. Fun fact, that neuter only took the ride from 6.5Gs to 6Gs (even though SFDK advertised 5Gs).

I hate to admit this...and I'm surprised that nobody has said it yet, but Bizarro at Six Flags New England.

If you want the correct experience, go on the hottest possible summer day and ride it later in the day, then it'll feel like the old Superman days. Go on an October day during Fright Fest when it's cool out, and unfortunately you'll have a very "neutered" experience.

There's been a rumor or two flying around that SFNE was trying to restore it to it's glory, and I really hope that this is true.

Thats not a neuter though. That's just the ride running on a cold day. That happens to just about every coaster.

I agree that this ride is a shadow of it's former self but I can't pinpoint a reason why which is why I didn't mention it. I used to have this as my #1 coaster but it's down around #15 now. It's slower, it rattles and the lapbars are really uncomfortable but there's no one thing that diminished the ride experience. It's still fun but nothing like it was.

Just everything about the trains ruin the ride.. They don't track well (sluggish and heavy) and the lap bars and headrests ruin every sense of freedom. I prefer superman at sfa..

You're absolutely right about the trains.

I should clarify- the only way to get the "real" experience of this ride is at the end of the day on a hot summer's day. I'm not talking about just typical coaster cold-day experiences. This coaster used to be absolutely amazing no matter when you rode it, but with the new trains, even on an average summer day, the experience just isn't what it used to be.

I really hope that the rumors are true and SFNE is going to revive it and replace the bad trains. This coaster would probably instantly become my #1 again if it ran like it did from 2000-2008.