TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst ride "neuters"

What are the worst "neuters" on rides?

Mean Streak - Take an already somewhat boring (with just some potential) ride and trim it to death. That's Mean Streak for you.

Green Lantern (SFMM) - Apparently, its Swedish cousin spins more or at least used to (Insane might have gotten neutered too). Its also loaded so it doesn't spin. Still a fairly fun ride, but also fairly painful. According to the ride op, the reason that the cars are loaded in a balanced way is that if the vehicle comes in upside down or sideways and can't be rotated, maintenance must be called. That reeks of bull feces to me. You're saying that Intamin's systems to right the car (it DOES have a system for that, right?) plus ride ops that can spin it can't work?

Colossus (SFMM) - After what I believe was an ejection incident a long time ago ago, this ride got airtime hills replaced by a block brake. Not like that block brake is needed - since when does Colossus ever run 3 trains? I never saw it running more than 2 while I was there, and I am not sure if they even have 3 of the same colored train! I'd take a seatbelt on this for a more intense ride - its a fairly smooth woodie for its age, but it is just boring.

Any others that you can think of?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was trying to think of a coaster, but all I could think of was how slow most bumper cars are now. My "home" park used to have one's that ran like Skooters at Knoebels, but now Knoebels is the only place that I can think of that still runs them at a higher speed.

I would also have to say almost any flat in the US when compared to the one's at the German fairs!

Mean Streak - Take an already somewhat boring (with just some potential) ride and trim it to death. That's Mean Streak for you.

Green Lantern (SFMM) - Apparently, its Swedish cousin spins more or at least used to (Insane might have gotten neutered too). Its also loaded so it doesn't spin. Still a fairly fun ride, but also fairly painful. According to the ride op, the reason that the cars are loaded in a balanced way is that if the vehicle comes in upside down or sideways and can't be rotated, maintenance must be called. That reeks of bull feces to me. You're saying that Intamin's systems to right the car (it DOES have a system for that, right?) plus ride ops that can spin it can't work?

Colossus (SFMM) - After what I believe was an ejection incident a long time ago ago, this ride got airtime hills replaced by a block brake. Not like that block brake is needed - since when does Colossus ever run 3 trains? I never saw it running more than 2 while I was there, and I am not sure if they even have 3 of the same colored train! I'd take a seatbelt on this for a more intense ride - its a fairly smooth woodie for its age, but it is just boring.

I know thats not true about Maintenance having to be called when a car comes in upside down. I've been on upside down cars coming into the station and though it sometimes take a minute, the ops can right you. Besides, even loaded the way it is, right before the station is the one place it almost always flips. Its the drops before the last one where the balancing takes away the flips.

The trim brake at the bunny hills on Thunderhawk at Dorney. You used to get some decent air time on those hills now you barely get lifted out your seat.

I'm not sure if it counts or not but seatbelts being added to all coasters in Ocean City, NJ after the Wild Wonder accident in 1999. Before that accident, the Schwarzkopf City Jet at Gillian's, Miler Mouse and Fliter and Playland all ran without any kind of restraints at all and it was cool to be riding a coaster with no restraint.

The trim brake at the bunny hills on Thunderhawk at Dorney. You used to get some decent air time on those hills now you barely get lifted out your seat.

That's really a good example. When I went to Dorney last summer I got two rides on Thunderhawk. The first one the trim did nothing and I got some great air, on the second ride it kicked in and made a huge difference as I got nothing. I don't know if this had an influence but on my first ride there was only one train running and then they added the second one. Is this the reason why the trim was deployed the second time? Anyway, it made me rank the ride a lot lower than I would have if there were no trim as that ending was definitely the best part on my first ride.

That's really a good example. When I went to Dorney last summer I got two rides on Thunderhawk. The first one the trim did nothing and I got some great air, on the second ride it kicked in and made a huge difference as I got nothing. I don't know if this had an influence but on my first ride there was only one train running and then they added the second one. Is this the reason why the trim was deployed the second time? Anyway, it made me rank the ride a lot lower than I would have if there were no trim as that ending was definitely the best part on my first ride.

I don't think the number of trains running usually matters since it almost always runs 1 train and the trim is on most of the time. Sometimes the weather is really cold then will turn the trim off, otherwise it just seems random and once in a while you can ride the coaster with the trim off in normal weather.

The original Rattler from 1992. Lowered first drop from the top and raised from the bottom. Trim into and out of the helix added. Fan Curve after first drop lowered and altered over the years......

Thank god for RMC bringing this coaster back to life.

I know that The Beast has been trimmed since day one, but just imagine if some of those trims were removed? I could only imagine how much more amazing an already amazing ride can be. From the few reports I have seen shortly after construction from some of the contractors/park employees from KI indicate an absolutely insane coaster before the trims were added in time for the ride's opening.

Edited by ajfelice

I thought of this coaster immediately. The trim in the bunny hills is awful and they have a few throughout the course of the ride that really take away from any potential airtime (they have one at the top of the turnaround by Revolution that can kick on really hard sometimes).

Thunderhawk has gotten rough lately but if they removed the trims and did some re-tracking this would easily be the best ride in the park.

I know that The Beast has been trimmed since day one, but just imagine if some of those trims were removed? I could only imagine how much more amazing an already amazing ride can be. From the few reports I have seen shortly after construction from some of the contractors/park employees from KI indicate an absolutely insane coaster before the trims were added in time for the ride's opening.

Even The Beast from the early 90's is so much better than most coasters today.

I know thats not true about Maintenance having to be called when a car comes in upside down. I've been on upside down cars coming into the station and though it sometimes take a minute, the ops can right you. Besides, even loaded the way it is, right before the station is the one place it almost always flips. Its the drops before the last one where the balancing takes away the flips.

Maybe things have changed on it over time? I remember when I went to west coast bash in 2012 and they had to call Maint. for that issue.

Even The Beast from the early 90's is so much better than most coasters today.

Since I have started regularly going to KI in 2005, I believe The Beast has given the best rides in 2013. It was amazing this past season.

I'm going to go with Raging Bull, Mean Streak, and American Eagle. That trim on Raging Bull's camelback just destroys the entire rest of the ride. I can't think of any trim in the world I want removed more than that one. It's not like the ride is rough!! It has a bit of rattle, but nothing that warrants having a trim, let alone one that heavy.

Mean Streak really ran pretty well this season. The trim on the first drop should really be turned off at this point. It really doesn't jackhammer nearly as much as it used to, so there's not really a reason for the trim anymore.

American Eagle. It rode so rough this year I totally get why it's trimmed to death before the big and final helixes. Eagle is an ok coaster when it's smooth and not trimmed. It was way too rough this season. It needs a retrack in spots, then the trims can be turned off and it will be decent again. With the trims it's just boring. Combine that with the roughness and you have one crappy cpaster!

Agree on Magnum XL-200 is a shadow of it's former self since they changed the braking at the turn-around.

Also agree on Raging Bull is more Mildly Flustered Bull with those trims, as if the B & M hyper experience wasn't calming enough. Apollo's Chariot was also a bit of a mild one in 2008 when I last rode it.

Tower of Terror II at Dreamworld was supposed to a radical re-invention of the original, but it only goes half way up the tower.

The trim brake on Raging Bull's first "airtime" hill. Never underestimate the power of the whiny GP.

Do you have any evidence that whiny GP got the ride trimmed?

I think that trim brake has been there since day 1. I agree though, after it does it's thing, the ride is more evocative of a dairy cow than a raging bull. Luckily, the first drop is one of the best you'll find anywhere- anything after that (good or bad) is a bonus.