TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip Report: EPCOT, New Year's Day 2014

As a general note: I'm playing up the cynicism in this article. EPCOT does a lot of stuff right, and I'm always happy to go to this park.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the things I discuss here aren't new to anyone on this forum.

I'm a massive thrill-seeker. I dominated Cedar Point when I was 12, and I did each coaster with my hands up the entire ride.

Thus, it's a bit unusual that I love EPCOT [1] so much. Disney parks aren't known for having especially thrilling rides. EPCOT itself is known more for its blend of science and global culture than its adrenaline rushes. To be fair, I'm strongly interested in both topics, which I suppose makes the park relevant to me. I think another factor is simply how freaking magical the Disney experience is.

Either way, I've been to EPCOT a few times in recent memory — spring 2005, spring 2007, and summer 2009. My family went today, New Year's Day 2014. Here are my thoughts, presented in chronological order.

Entering

Oh God, New Year's Day was a terrific day to go to a theme park, given that you're good at the dodging asteroids part of Mission: Space. You'll sure as hell be dodging tourists that don't know how to walk on a sidewalk without stopping at arbitrary points in time.

Test Track

As a traditionalist, I figured I'd really hate the new theme and Chevrolet sponsorship. However, The Imagineers did something right in that the new emphasis on designing your car really helped smooth the queue out. More time spent in the pre-show translates to less time aimlessly waiting in line (pay attention, Soarin'). With that being said, the part of the queue that you do have to wait in is now boring and uninspired. There was something great about waiting for an hour with your friends and family seeing how car testing works. Now, there's really not much to look at or do, up until the car design point.

The new theme itself reminded me of the whole flat design fad. I'll admit that it was refreshing, but why did Disney have to go ahead and kill a perfectly good queue? Not to mention that Chevrolet is really kicking ass, taking names, and chewing bubblegum with their Volt, the ultimate disruptive innovator of motor vehicles. Oh, wait...

The ride itself is somewhat ruined. That's because Disney took immutable track and tried to apply a new ride experience. As a result, several things are completely wrong with the new Test Track:

1. No more German and Belgian blocks after the climb. You just drop for no reason.

2. The old ABS section is completely pointless now. You just swerve for no reason on the first attempt, and you don't swerve for no reason on the second attempt. Apparently there was supposed to be snow/ice on the road...couldn't tell.

3. The heat, cold, and corrosion tests were replaced by arbitrary scans for eco-efficiency and aerodynamic efficiency. Way lame.

4. No more almost crashing into the wall.

I'd continue to hop on this ride in the future because it means so much to me, but I'm really disappointed with Disney's execution. I think that the opportunity to design your own car and see how it handles on the track is great, but Disney changed too much of the actual ride experience. There's now a disconnect between what the car is doing and what the ride is trying to tell you that it's doing.

Mission: Space

Still my favorite ride at any Disney park. Turns out that my two younger sisters can't hang and didn't feel amazing after the ride. I've done this three consecutive times in the past, but when you're with a family of varying ages and ride preferences, however, sacrifices are made. Time to move on.

On the bright side, lines were decently short all day for this bad boy. I'm going to attribute that partially to EPCOT simply not attracting thrill-seekers on New Year's Day and partially to word-of-mouth that this ride is intense.

Bonus for myself: I finally put together two and two — Ken Mattingly from Apollo 13 (Gary Sinise) plays the mission commander (or whatever) in Mission: Space. Nice touch.

Soarin'

Soarin' is pure Disney magic. You will truly feel immersed in the experience — given that you can manage to avoid looking down at the ground, up at everyone else's feet, or to the side to see the other ride vehicles.

Of course, the whole line situation for Soarin' is FUBAR. Nothing like an eight-across free-for-all that speeds along at about four rows of people every five minutes. There are supposed to be interactive games on the right-hand wall. Not on New Year's Day, evidently. Hopefully one of the Imagineers set a New Year's resolution to fix the Soarin' queue, God forbid our family was forced to actually talk to each other for 90 minutes. [2] [3] Waitin' for Soarin' is torture.

The Fastpass situation is also FUBAR. Besides how quickly these things run out, the cast members really favor letting Fastpass holders into the pre-show area. Listen, if standby is going to have a queue listed at 80 minutes, then Fastpass should probably still have a 10 to 15-minute queue, not a walk-on experience. The current balance pushed us to a 95-minute wait despite it being listed at 80 minutes. And to think that the queue was listed at three hours by the time we got off the ride!

I guess Soarin' has the opposite issue that Test Track has.

Ellen's Energy Adventure

I've got a sweet spot for this one. Nothing's changed, besides the addition of the man talking on his cell phone during the entire pre-show period. That was part of the ride, right?

Nine Dragons

The Chinese-American restaurant in the China pavilion of World Showcase. Overpriced by normal standards, perfectly priced by elasticity of demand. Disney, man; they know their microeconomics.

Maelstrom

Highlight of the ride was my seventeen-year-old sister freaking out and curling herself into the fetal position on the drop — not because she was scared of the speed, but because she didn't want to get wet. Don't worry, no splash on this one. No real thrill, either. This was a lot more fun when I was 9.

Spaceship Earth

Bring back Jeremy Irons. His voice was serious, captivating, and romantic. You wanted to learn about the history and future of communication. The new narrator, whose name I really don't care to learn because of what a disservice she's done to the ride, is horrible. I held this position in summer 2009, about a year after Spaceship Earth re-opened with this retrogression of a renovation, and I maintain it today. The interactive screens and stupid and detract from the beauty of the star scene as you slowly climb downhill backwards. Instead of holding a captivated gaze, you're making stupid choices about what you wanted the future to be. [4] [5]

The guy who took a flash photo from his iPhone of the Earth at the climax of the freaking ride was a real winner, too.

Overall

Hey Disney, stop making bad changes and please make some needed changes. Did you forget that what makes Disney Disney is that the entire ride experience is supposed to be magical, not just the ride but also the pavilion, queue, and post-show? The only magical part of Soarin', save for the ride itself, was

; the fact that Universal gave Disney the rights to use a song from one of their films is pretty magical, especially given the grueling bidding wars on the Harry Potter franchise rights.

And believe it or not, I actually enjoyed myself today. Can't wait to go back again!

Footnotes

[1] Yes, I'm aware that Disney changed the park's name from EPCOT Center to Epcot awhile back. If you haven't noticed, I'm old-fashioned.

[2] Just kidding, we figured out that Disney now has complimentary wireless Internet in their parks and instead just dicked around on Words with Friends / Instagram / Snapchat / Hacker News.

[3] And of course, this is tongue-in-cheek. I love my family, and we spent a lot of quality time together on this vacation — which is increasingly rare now that two of us are in college. Hi, Mom!

[4] It was worth a couple of chuckles to mark down that my sister and I were from rural Siberia, however. I can only hope that we somehow will affect a few dollars of Disney's marketing efforts as a result of providing them with that datum.

[5] And yes, I realize that the ride is more popular than ever due to the new Siemens sponsorship and overhaul. It's still ruined to me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. You really don't like change at theme parks do you? I mean, I *LOVE* and *MISS* Horizons, for example, and yes I liked the old Test Track too, but I can't point to a single thing they are doing at Epcot right now that I don't feel is both AWESOME and a step in the right direction.

Different strokes, I guess... *shrug*

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for reading, Robb.

I agree that these changes are best for drawing crowds to the park. Obviously when you have a ride like Test Track that went untouched from '99 to '12, it becomes stale, and there's no doubt that the refurbished ride is an overall hit. While I may not be personally happy with some of the changes made, Disney's bottom line certainly is.

Let me clarify that I played up the cynicism of the review. Soarin' overall was a fantastic addition to EPCOT. The queue needs some work; I'm not really sure why the interactive games weren't working today. Test Track's interactivity is a really strong addition as well. The ride experience itself has suffered somewhat as a result, but it's still really fun to pick up speed and zoom around that track. More importantly, the average WDW-goer won't be nitpicking about things like the lack of German and Belgian blocks.

(EDIT: And Spaceship Earth is clearly doing well; I've never seen a line anywhere near as long as it was today.)

I suppose the bottom line is that my personal views aren't what's best for Disney as a company, and I fully recognize that.

Edited by OCaml

He did say his favorite Disney ride is Mission Space...

That being said, Future World still has a loooooong way to go to really be something special like it used to.

You know, maybe that's one of the reasons why I like Mission: Space so much. To me, it really captures the essence of Future World; we're still a long way from a manned mission to Mars. The ride has so much optimism that it reminds me of what I understood Future World to be thirty years ago.

^ It's not like the Orlando parks haven't been constantly changing for the last 30 years. It's either something you need to accept or just stop going to the parks. Just being honest.

Edited by robbalvey

The only magical part of Soarin', save for the ride itself, was hearing this song from the Apollo 13 soundtrack; the fact that Universal gave Disney the rights to use a song from one of their films is pretty magical, especially given the grueling bidding wars on the Harry Potter franchise rights.

I have the music from EPCOT on my iPod and have listen to it multiple times. That is not the same music as Soarin'.

Edited by Mrlittle

The only magical part of Soarin', save for the ride itself, was hearing this song from the Apollo 13 soundtrack; the fact that Universal gave Disney the rights to use a song from one of their films is pretty magical, especially given the grueling bidding wars on the Harry Potter franchise rights.

I have the music from EPCOT on my iPod and have listen to it multiple times. That is not the same music as the music from Soarin'.

They play this in the queue, not on the ride itself.

I have the music from EPCOT on my iPod and have listen to it multiple times. That is not the same music as the music from Soarin'.

They play this in the queue, not on the ride itself.

The last time I rode it, they were playing the theme music in the queue line. Disney would not go buy a song from Universal. They make all of the music for the rides at their parks.

Soarin' Theme Music < The theme song for Soarin' may have similarities to the Apollo 13 sound but it's all Disney.

^ It's not like the Orlando parks haven't been constantly changing for the last 30 years. It's either something you need to accept or just stop going to the parks. Just being honest.

Don't know where that came from. I was just taking a jab at Disney for moving slow.

I agree with you in principle, which is why I was a bit shocked to hear the Apollo 13 score. I don't mean to make this an argument or debate since it's relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things, but a cursory Google search will show that many other people also report hearing the Apollo 13 score in the line for Soarin'. I've seen the movie a dozen or so times, and I was at the ride today; this stood out to me.

Don't know where that came from. I was just taking a jab at Disney for moving slow.

But why? What's the point of taking a jab? Disney doesn't *need* to move fast. I guess I'm just kind of sick of people saying things like "Well, Universal built Transformers in nine months, why is it taking so long for Disney to build the Snow White coaster???"

If you're a local, I guess I would expect people in the area to actually understand better what Disney is and why they don't move fast. They don't *NEED* Snow White to draw an audience. People are going to come to the resort no matter what. Hell, they are still touting Everest as "new" when you watch the in-room resort TV programming!

Universal on the other hand is trying as hard as they can to grab those "extra day" dollars from people who come to Orlando for Disney. And they are actually doing a VERY good job of it. Because they NEED to. They needed to get Despicable Me, Transformers, Harry Potter 2.0, and the new resort done at lightning speeds because they want those people that Disney already has.

Disney will do just fine plodding along and building some new things every few years.

I do know, however, there are a *LOT* of things on the drawing boards for all the parks. But it will take ten years before a lot of it is fully realized.

Would I like that all to happen in 10 months? Sure! You bet! But I also *get* what Disney is and why they move at the speeds they do, and I applaud them for being the absolute expert in what they do and how they do it.

It wasn't an insult, just a frustration, that's all...

--Robb "I hope this can better educate some people on why Disney moves at the speed they do." Alvey

Would I like that all to happen in 10 months? Sure! You bet! But I also *get* what Disney is and why they move at the speeds they do, and I applaud them for being the absolute expert in what they do and how they do it.

Agreed, also people seem to forget that Transformers was a clone. Even Disney can churn out a clone pretty quickly. When it's something new though, don't rush it. You have to make sure it's just right and that takes time. Transformers at USH felt like it took centuries to be completed.

Back to the TR... When I visited Epcot for the first time just after Thanksgiving 2012, I remember thinking it seemed like a park that could do no wrong. I unfortunately missed Test Track by one day, but everything else was fantastic! It seems like Disney really figured out how to do a non-Disney park but with all the Disney skill. The only thing I didn't really care for was the Ellen ride, just because it was so dated. Epcot's whole idea is progress... shouldn't they have the right to update and progress their rides? I think if your stuck in the past, you can never enjoy a park beyond opening day.

I'm not trying to hate on your report. In fact I love to hear people express their opinions (that's the point of a forum right?), but I can't say I really agree with what I'm reading. I don't have any past experience to compare upon, but when I paid for a 4 day park hopper and spent more than 50% of my time at Epcot, that tells me they must be doing something right.

Lastly, Jeremy Irons is cool and all, but I could listen to Dame Judi Dench all day everyday. Nothing bad can be said against M. Wasn't Jeremy Irons like the 3rd narrator to be used? I'm sure Cronkite fanatics were pissed when he was brought in.

I liked EPCOT a lot list year. While TestTrack, Mission: Space and Soarin were fun I mostly returned there nearly daily for food and drink which are the best options in Disney if not in all Orlando theme parks.

While my stay at the Riverside was big fun I will stay in one of the hotels located between Hollywood Studios and Epcot next time. Whats a better idea to start the day with a few spins on Rock'N'Roller Coaster and Tower Of Terror before having an early lunch and beer at World Showcase before heading over to Magic Mountain - maybe adding a spin on TestTrack and Mission:Space on the way...

Love EPCOT, and Universe of Energy is one of my faves.

(ok, ok. . . "Ellen's Energy Adventure")

I could go on that over and over all day (even if the pre-show would start to drive me a little nuts).

And agreed. . .LOVE the smooth tones of Dame Judy Dench on "Spaceship Earth". . . no issue at all with that change.

Is the Soarin' at Epcot the exact same film as Soarin' Over California, or is it like Soarin' Over Florida or America? Just wondering because a Soarin' Over California film where they end in the CA Disneyland wouldn't make much sense in a Florida park.

Is the Soarin' at Epcot the exact same film as Soarin' Over California, or is it like Soarin' Over Florida or America? Just wondering because a Soarin' Over California film where they end in the CA Disneyland wouldn't make much sense in a Florida park.

Yes, it's the same. You have to remember, though, that 90% of the people who visit WDW have either never been here before or haven't been in many years. They aren't mostly locals like they are in SoCal who would even notice that the park at the end that is shown for 10 seconds is Disneyland.

Yes, it's the same. You have to remember, though, that 90% of the people who visit WDW have either never been here before or haven't been in many years. They aren't mostly locals like they are in SoCal who would even notice that the park at the end that is shown for 10 seconds is Disneyland.

Wow! Now that's what I call a clone! A film would be easy to change or modify in the future if they wanted to make it into Soarin' Over America (FL probably doesn't have enough different topography zones or climates to warrant a Soarin' Over Florida) or Soarin' Over the World since its in the World Showcase. At least what they could do is change the Disney park at the end to the WDW Resort. I just find it funny that the California Disneyland with the smaller castle is featured at the end in FL also, but I guess only those who pay attention to the details or have been to both the FL and CA parks would catch that.

Wow! Now that's what I call a clone! A film would be easy to change or modify in the future if they wanted to make it into Soarin' Over America (FL probably doesn't have enough different topography zones or climates to warrant a Soarin' Over Florida) or Soarin' Over the World since its in the World Showcase. At least what they could do is change the Disney park at the end to the WDW Resort. I just find it funny that the California Disneyland with the smaller castle is featured at the end in FL also, but I guess only those who pay attention to the details or have been to both the FL and CA parks would catch that.

^ There are rumors that Disney is going upgrade and update Soarin's video. I think Soarin' over the world would be great.

Wow! Now that's what I call a clone! A film would be easy to change or modify in the future if they wanted to make it into Soarin' Over America

The current movie takes place in 15 different locations, I'm sure each of which had to be shot many times. I think almost each of the shots required some sort of "talent" to be in place, whether that "talent" was simply people skiing down a mountain, jets flying by at just the right time, or a parade going down Main Street.

I could only image that film probably took weeks. possibly months, of pre-production and planning to film, actual photography, and post-production to get everything to sync up to the ride system.

And just think about the production crew that would be required for each of those 15 different locations. Ground crew, air crew, talent coordinators, tech crew, etc. I bet no fewer than 40-50 people were involved with every scene from the guys that actually flew the helicopters, manned the cameras, to the people who brought coffee to the set.

So, sorry to disagree, but changing out that movie wouldn't be "easy", it would probably be quite expensive in the tune of millions of dollars, and require a TON of work.

That being said, I personally would love to see a new movie produced, but I have a feeling it might not be anytime soon. There are still plenty of people coming to Epcot every day who have never seen Soarin' before in their life, which is exactly the reason why they lifted the California version and brought it to Florida.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey