TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I don't "get" standups

I've ridden Iron Wolf many times, and the firsts few times were great tabs the rest were painful. The only other standup I've been on is Riddler's, and I really enjoy it (and I would much rather go on that than Scream, but I digress). That being said, I like the ride for it layout and forces not the fact that it stands up as I don't really feel any different sensation from a sit down.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoy standups... I don't really see them as a gimmick at all. It is an entirely different sensation when riding one... The high center of gravity, turns, etc... They are fun rides.

I also seem to be one of the few people out there who enjoy the stand-up coaster concept, and agree, to me, they provide quite a different sensation than sitting down. I like the forces you feel from head to toe. But unfortunately a lot of stand-ups do seem to knock you around a lot. Georgia Scorcher and Riddler's Revenge seem to be the exception here, and I think both are fantastic rides (and I also enjoy Mantis on a good day). Maybe I just like it rough!

The concept I don't "get" are B&M floorless coasters. They seem to provide very little difference to the standard sit-down coasters unless you sit in the front row. But standing - to me, it's a whole different experience.

I've been on five standups (Shockwave KD, Georgia Scorcher, Apocalypse, Riddler's, Green Lantern). The only one of those rides I don't consider awesome is Shockwave. I can understand how some people don't like the older standups like Apocalypse and Vortex, but I don't personally have a problem with them. I can see how people like them though, and I would really love to see at least one new standup in the next few years. It wouldn't surprise me, considering the popularity of the recently relocated ones.

I just hate the loading/unloading process for stand up coasters. It's annoying how long it takes. Of course when I'm on the ride the seat is either to low where I have to bend my knees or to high where I have to give my best ballerina impersonation.

My first standup was Riddler's Revenge and I kind of liked it. But Mantis is just horrible with unpleasant force and most importantly, THAT STUPID TRIM ON THE FIRST DROP!

If the trim was turned off, wouldn't the "unpleasant force" have been stronger?

^ right? smh

There was a lot of interest in stand up style coasters initially as its a unique way to ride. I think it's lost a lot of intrigue over the years though as that train style has been around for over 20 years, but at the time it WAS pretty cool. I know SFMM had a stand up prior to Riddler's Revenge but I wasnt even born yet when they removed it. I WAS freshly 54" the year Riddler's opened and I thought it was the coolest ride in the world. Better then Batman even. Many years later though, I consider Batman a better ride and judge coasters objectively based off different factors. But I echo Robb's sentiments and I think some of the old stand up designs are much better then what we're seeing B&M produce today.

I just don't understand all these complaints of leg pain. I've never once experienced that on a stand-up. I think if your legs are hurting, you didn't adjust the restaraint properly. I have pretty much liked or loved all of the stand-ups I've been on (even including Batman The Escape!) The higher center of gravity makes the experience more forceful and exciting in my opinion.

I'd say Riddler's Revenge is the funnest stand up I've ridden. Mantis wasn't bad and I rode it multiple times in a row with no problems. Iron Wolf and Batman the Escape were the two rougher stand ups I've ridden in my time but they were still fun. Just gotta learn how to get the restraint set properly so it doesn't hurt your junk.

Edited by ArizonaGuy

Dives on standups are kind of cool, especially in the front row. But I definitely prefer floorless or inverts, and some of the older models are pretty uncomfortable. Of the half a dozen or so I've been on, Green Lantern and Riddler's are the only two I'd be keen to go back for. The fire effects on SFA's Apocalypse do make it fun though!

Edited by azza29

I definitely enjoy stand up coasters. I do agree that standing up is a gimmick, but its at least somewhat different, as opposed to B&Ms other gimmicky rides like Floorless Coasters and Wingriders. Kind of a bummer that more haven't been built as I've really liked the ones I've ridden.

If you don't get stand-ups, then sit down. (I had to) Anyways, I like the big stand-ups that i've been on. ( Riddler, Mantis, Green Lantern) They have nice flow to them and are a lot of fun, the only one that I don't like would have to be Vortex at CGA, gives me a headache every time.

The only time I've ever had pain from a stand-up was the first (and currently, last) time I rode Mantis at Cedar Point this year. I saved it for near the end of the day after all of the walking and riding other rides, and my ankles were on fire during it. I was confused from that experience because I've ridden Chang, Georgia Scorcher, and Riddler's Revenge and loved them all. Probably an age thing, but I guess I'll find out the whenever I get back to SFOG for Scorcher to compare.

I think that if B&M start to make floorless trains with the height of the seats matching the heartline/headline. Putting standard floorless trains might be worse as the heartline/headline of those stand up casters might be slightly higher than those floorless coasters.

Anoter crazy thought, what if B&M start to put flying trains to the stand up coasters? Lift hill might have the same issues with Flyng Dutchmans though...

I hate stand-up coasters but they all seem to be very popular. I've ridden Vortex at Carowinds, Riddler's Revenge, Apocalypse, Mantis, Green Lantern and Shockwave at KD and I hate them all... Shockwave might be my favorite just because it's over quickly and really doesn't hurt until you get to the helix (after that it's horrible but the ride is almost over at that point).

These coasters kill my legs and I found them all to be headbangers. I think Green Lantern is my least favorite, it's one of the longer standups and it's really rough.

All of this being said, it's hard to deny that they're really popular rides and have maintained their popularity for a long time. People just love the idea of standing up on a roller coaster.

I never really minded (and actually liked) the stand-up coasters until we rode Mantis this past summer and it was just plain awful. Despite the fact that people complain about the Togo's, I have never really had the head-kicking on those like I had on Mantis. The Togo's just seemed to be a bit more unpleasant to the ummm....lower extremities.

The trim was off during the drop and it was bangy and rough - like Mike Tyson was trying to knock (or bite) my ears off. I was with two other riders and we all had the same unpleasant ride experience.

In years past, I have fared pretty well on Mantis and always tried to get the front seat so I could brace myself for the quick transitions. Maybe the problem was that we were in the second or third row and even though I had a pretty good idea when they were coming, my ears were still red when I got off from being pounded during those trick-track like elements near the end.

Riddler on the other hand seemed very smooth and I really enjoyed my rides on it. Have yet to ride Green Lantern/Chang, but would ride it just to get the credit. Although I think that I would buy the Flash Pass in order to get the front seat without the horrific wait. I want to see what's coming beforehand so I can brace myself for it!

I just don't understand all these complaints of leg pain. I've never once experienced that on a stand-up. I think if your legs are hurting, you didn't adjust the restaraint properly.

The only way to avoid it is to "sit" and get that weight off your feet. I wouldn't call myself fat (6ft even ~200lbs) but the combination of extra weight, and the blood sinking to my feet/legs is terrible. Some people are more sensitive to it, I grey out on most rides if I don't tighten my legs/abs to restrict bloodflow... So I guess that makes sense. I could put up with the uncomfortable feeling in my feet if the layout was really special. Riddler was probably my favorite, but if I went back to SFMM I would not ride it again.

Never have been a big fan of stand up coasters. I think part of it for me is that I just like to sit there and let the coaster do its thing and feel the forces. On a stand up you physically have to stand up and not be passive. Just not my thing.

My favorite stand up though is Milky Way in Mitsui Greenland Japan! You got some airtime on that one!

milky.jpg.ee4d1b0006d98610a3673e5ba5302219.jpg

^^I actually found the slight airtime on Shockwave at Kings Dominion quite pleasant, which is one of the only few pluses I found of a TOGO standup I never find on B&M's. More coasters need airtime, no matter what thrilling type they are!

I love stand-ups. Even the crazy TOGO ones that people say are so terrible, which I've never understood. Shockwave at KD is terrifyingly fun and I even once accidentally managed to slip my arm through the front of the restraint one time and had that OMG-imminent-death moment. I know that it has that sudden smack in the side of the face into the helix, but if you're ready for it, even that isn't a big deal. Plus, that has nothing to do with the fact that it's a stand-up and just the fact that it's a bad spot in the ride that would still be there if it was a sit-down.

The same thing with B&M stand-ups. Vortex at CGA sucks because it sucks, not because it's a stand-up. Riddler's Revenge was like a stand-up Kumba, Mantis was great, and Green Lantern was fun with just a few head-banging turns, which again would still be felt if it was a "florceless" or sit-down.

I just wish that more parks spent more time instructing people on how to ride them. I remember once at SFoG seeing more people sitting down with the seat lowered all the way on Scorcher than people riding properly. I even once saw a girl suspended off her feet on one. When I visited CP back in 09, the Mantis ops had a really efficient way of getting people to assume the position by saying "feet behind the black line on the floor, seat as high as you can go still standing!".

If the forces are getting too strong for my feet, I just try to sit down a little more. Defensive riding is inconvenient, but doing so on stand-ups is still way easier than defensive riding around an Arrow coat-hanger turn.

I actually do kind of "get" stand ups. I hated my ride on Mantis (head banging, leg pain), but I actually enjoyed Green Lantern pretty well. I need to not press so hard against the floor with my legs, and also not ride it right after Superman (which always makes me feel kind of crappy, lying on my stomach for that long), and I think I'll like it even more. Definitely a more intense layout than Bizarro, and the standing up bit makes it even more intense. Feels more precarious, inversions feel stronger. I don't think it's any more a "gimmick" than inverted, wing, etc.