TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What fad have you fallen for?

alilstronger

I do not recall ever seeing a thread just about fads before. I did not want to narrow it down to just fashion, music, movies, etc. I want it to be open to any topic. This way many conversations can be going on at once and many fads can be reminisced about.

What fads have you fallen for either recently or ever?

Mine:

1. I bought a snuggie and I LOVE it. It is so warm.

2. In high school (10 years ago) I wore two polos of contrasting colors and popped the colors.

3. I wore silly bands.

4. Not sure if its a fad or not because so many hipster people still do it but sometimes I roll up the bottoms of my skinny jeans to show my ankle.

5 I used to collect Beanie Babies when I was in elementary school.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think everyone fell for fads, especially around Middle School. Lets see:

Tamagotchi (Or any electronic "nano" creature)

Beanie Babies

Gellyrolls (Gel pens)

Moldable eracers

Pokemon

Yo-Yo's

Pogs

Silver chain-linked necklaces

That's all I can think of at the moment. Though, I'm sure there are many others!

Edit: Speaking of Pogs... official Knott's Pogs!? I see Montezuma

Edited by KrakenKing

I remember Pogs back in the day. They were HUGE when I was in 5th and 6th grade. Everyone used to play them during recess and lunch. By the time I got to Junior High they were banned from school. Too many kids losing Pogs in games and I guess the school saw it as a form of "gambling". Pogs soon fizzled out after this.

I remember when I was in HS my younger sisters were into Pokémon and when Burger King had those Pokémon toys in the red and white balls we would have a lot of Kids Meals and collect a lot of the toys. "Gotta catch em all!" is probably the best toy slogan of all time.

I was also really into rap-rock in the late 90s and early 2000s - especially Limp Bizkit and Crazy Town (although I never really got into ICP). I also really hated boy bands at this time (still hate them) and made fun of Backstreet Boys and NSync (which my sisters were really into).

^ Love me some good boy bands - Nsync, BSB, New Kids, LFO, BBMak - that was pretty much it. The rest were not that good - Youngstown, 98 Degrees, Natural, 5ive, No Authority, C-Note, B2K, Dream Street, 3T, etc.

I totally forgot about Pogs and Tamagotchi/Nano pets!!!!!!!

I literally had about 10 of them digital pets at one time. They tried to make a come back a few years ago but it did not take off.

Pogs were THE THING back when I was in elementary school. When I sit and think about it the concept was pretty silly.

I just thought of another. I had 2 Furbys back when they first came out.

Pogs sorta fell out of fashion when I was in elementary school. That was more of an early 90s thing I guess.

I know Tamogatchis and Giga Pets became popular, but were never really as popular as Beanie Babies or some of (what I consider) the bigger 90s fads like Pokémon. My first exposure to Tamogatchis actually was a Pikachu. I think I still have the device lying around somewhere, but the battery died eons ago.

I did get into a few mobile app crazes. Angry Birds, Instagram, Temple Run/Subway Surf, Tiny Wings, etc as well.

I used to enjoy defecating behind a taco bell after having to many Doritos Locos Tacos. When you gotta go, you gotta go! After that experience, I have taken up the hobby of staving myself. I've shortened my meal from five hamburgers a day and five sodas a week to one cheerio a week and one dixie cup of water every 3 days. I went from being a jelly belly to a shriveled up bag full of bones.

I used to enjoy defecating behind a taco bell after having to many Doritos Locos Tacos. When you gotta go, you gotta go! After that experience, I have taken up the hobby of staving myself. I've shortened my meal from five hamburgers a day and five sodas a week to one cheerio a week and one dixie cup of water every 3 days. I went from being a jelly belly to a shriveled up bag full of bones.

Pin trading and buying.

It had to be pin trading and buying.

Fortunately, I have gotten out of that racket and stuck with only a couple of

pin series in the Disney parks collections. (Go Scary Teddy in NBC!)

TradingPinsCollection2013.jpg.12fabed52ca5b23cd8cda64ae5e6f388.jpg

Yep. Gotten a bunch of them over only a few years. Then I went cold turkey, lol.

- POGS, I never got into them, but there were some neat slammers I liked to collect.

- Napster, it took a 1/2 hour to download one song with dial up.

- Rollerblades, I remember everyone needed the newest blades when it was roller skate week for gym in elementary school.

- Giga Pets: Had to change the time before going to bed so it wouldn't wake you up in the middle of the night.

- Highlights: All the boy bands were doing it I'm glad I never bleached my hair when that was the fad.

- Have a few Beanie Babies, since people kept saying they will be worth money in the future.

- Garbage Pail Kids: Had a massive collection until my grandma threw them out saying they were disgusting.

- Slap braclets.

- Hacky Sack.