TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mitch Hawker 2013 Wood Coaster Poll Thread!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only coasters in the top 20 that I have ridden are Boulder Dash (4), Phoenix (5), and Ravine Flyer II (6). I really need to get out more!

Luckily, there is a very good chance that the wife and I are going to pay a visit to Goliath at SFGAm this summer. Now to find some park entry discounts!

Here are the coasters in the top 20 that I have yet to ride:

2 T Express

3 Outlaw Run

4 Boulder Dash

13 Gold Striker

17 Twister

18 Wodan TimburCoaster

19 El Toro

20 Tremors

Yep--I've got some catching up to do.

Of the coasters that I have ridden in the top 30 the list is very close to how I rank the coasters. For me personally Balders gets a bit more competition from Thunderbird, but that is based on my 2007 rides when the ride was only a season old. But the top three is spot-on!

1 El Toro

4 Boulder Dash

5 Phoenix

8 Balder

17 Twister

24 Thunderbird

And of course its great to see the two worst wooden coasters I have ridden towards the very bottom of the list.

170 Magnus Colossus

174 Coaster-Express

So the year I thought Hades was running the best it has been over the past few years, let alone giving the most awesome rides I've had on it since my first ride when it first opened, it absolutely tanks in the polls. Yeesh. I must have built up a tolerance.

Ah well, I seem to be a fan of things a lot of other people dislike as well, so it's nothing new for me. More legroom on the Hades bandwagon.

With Outlaw Run being ranked a top three ride, however, I am excited for Goliath this year and what it brings to the table.

I've ridden a whopping 3 of the top 20 (Voyage, Thunderhead, and Phoenix), all of which were in my top 5. I never have the money to take multiple trips to new parks so I usually limit myself to just one trip for parks I haven't visited yet and cover as much ground as I can with that one trip. I love my hometown (Nashville), but I sure do wish I lived closer to certain areas (mainly the northeast).

Anyways, this years results seem pretty spot on. It's great to see GG, RMC, Intamin, and GCI get love as always. I plan on visiting SFGAm and the Dells this summer so I'm really looking forward to Goliath (my first RMC!), and I also heard that Hades 360 got more track work over the off season, but after hearing the terrible reviews, it seems like nothing but a complete rebuild would save it haha.

Balder below Voyage?!? Um, no.

dt

Voyage in the top ten? Um, no, as well.

Gotta agree with this. I assume it's still in the Top Ten because of many people that may have ridden it when the coaster was still fairly new and running well? Either that or they are sadomasochists!

Glad to see Phoenix and RFII still hanging right up near the top with the Intamins and RMC coasters!

Cheers for Outlaw Run and cheers for Hades360!!

This year's poll can kind of give a direction for those parks who are deciding which manufacturer should they buy woodies at

You do realize that the 4 TGG woodies (5 if you count Dauling Dragon as 2) in the top 20 are all above the 6 GCI woodies. Even if the Voyage shouldn't be there, still Ravine Flyer 2, Fireball, and Dauling Dragon are higher rated than the top GCI contenders. If you count CCI woodies along with TGG woodies (I do, because they are made by the same designers except Ms. Dinn herself, and TGG would still be CCI today if she hadn't closed so it wouldn't be involved in her divorce), than Boulder Dash is also included with TGG woodies above the GCI's. As Robb said, GCI's are solid B+ rides, but don't offer the airtime of TGG, Intamin, RMC and many CCI wooden coasters.

Interesting results, crazy to see how close Outlaw Run and El Toro were. Definitely want to ride both of them someday. I already knew Goldstriker would be the best in California, but it placed surprisingly high. Like others have said though, GCI's have tended to drop considerably over the years. Still want to ride it whenever I get a chance to go north though .

Top Twenty coasters I haven't been on, I've got some work to do:

2 T Express

9 Dauling Dragon-R

10 Dauling Dragon-L

11 Fireball

12 Troy

13 Wood Coaster

13 Gold Striker

17 Twister

19 El Toro

20 Tremors

Where I rated the ones in the top twenty I've been on:

1 El Toro (2)

3 Outlaw Run (1)

4 Boulder Dash (5)

5 Phoenix (4)

6 Ravine Flyer II (6)

7 The Voyage (21)

8 Balder (3)

15 Thunderhead (13)

16 Colossos (7)

18 Wodan TimburCoaster (9)

That's crazy how close Outlaw Run was to debuting at number 1, glad to see it do so well.

I haven't been on any of the top 20..

By the end of this year, I'll have been on Phoenix, El Toro, Balder and the new Goliath if all goes as planned so that's a start.

Cheers for Outlaw Run and cheers for Hades360!!

This year's poll can kind of give a direction for those parks who are deciding which manufacturer should they buy woodies at

You do realize that the 4 TGG woodies (5 if you count Dauling Dragon as 2) in the top 20 are all above the 6 GCI woodies. Even if the Voyage shouldn't be there, still Ravine Flyer 2, Fireball, and Dauling Dragon are higher rated than the top GCI contenders. If you count CCI woodies along with TGG woodies (I do, because they are made by the same designers except Ms. Dinn herself, and TGG would still be CCI today if she hadn't closed so it wouldn't be involved in her divorce), than Boulder Dash is also included with TGG woodies above the GCI's. As Robb said, GCI's are solid B+ rides, but don't offer the airtime of TGG, Intamin, RMC and many CCI wooden coasters.

I don't know about Revine Flyer 2 or Drauling Dragons, but Fireball's roughness was around Mean Streak level. I've heard someone lives in Wuhan said Drauling Dragons also beat the cr@p out of you.