TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mitch Hawker 2013 Wood Coaster Poll Thread!

I've ridden 16 wooden coasters in my life so far but 2 of those credits are for the same coaster so I'm really ranking 14. Here they are:

14. Wildcat (HP)- hate the restraints and the roughness. It's everything that can be bad about a woodie.

13. Mean Streak- found it to be rough without intensity. Disappointing since layout has potential.

12. Rolling Thunder- rough with only airtime in first row. Also very screechy.

11. Georgia Cyclone- rode this a while ago so probably don't remember how bad it is to be lower.

10. Great American Scream Machine- rode this 10 years ago but don't remember anything too bad or outstanding about this. Just ok.

9. Wildcat (LC)- underrated coaster. Very old but still fun with surprising speed and intensity.

8. Lightning Racer- smooth with a good layout but nothing outstanding to make it higher.

7. Twister- rough in a good way. Solid speed throughout the ride, just missing airtime.

6. Comet (HP)- in the back it can be a ride with nice airtime.

5. Great White- offers one of the best views on any ride of Wildwood's boardwalk and beach. Nice speed and airtime with a first tunnel drop. Just very screechy.

4. Boulder Dash- nice location for the coaster with some of the best speed on any woodie. With more airtime it'd probably be at least #2.

3. Phoenix- outstanding airtime and comftorable restraints. With more intensity it would be higher.

2. Blue Streak (CP)- this coaster doesn't get nearly enough credit. Nice backyard feel to it with a lakeview as well. One of the few woodies with both great airtime and intensity.

1. El Toro- this coaster has made me spoiled. I think it causes me to be disappointed in other coasters because of how great it is. Unbelievable airtime and intensity especially in the back. Some of the best ejector airtime I've ever had and it lasts throughout almost the whole ride. #1 woodie and #2 overall only behind Skyrush.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I love Blue Streak. I'm probably one of it's biggest supporters. I even have this above Millennium Force. Blue Streak to me has more ejector airtime and felt more out of control than Phoenix. While Phoenix has great airtime, I feel like it lacks that out of control feeling that El Toro and Blue Streak have. Plus Blue Streak has one of the best views on any coaster imo. Boulder Dash is the same thing. Nice out of control feeling but having less airtime puts it behind Blue Streak for me.

I have not been on Phoenix (as it seems to be the big comparison point), but I really liked Blue Streak, with all of its airtime over the place. On my ballot it's #3 behind El Toro and Comet at the Great Escape. My mother who was expecting a mild ride wasn't surprised in a good way !

Interesting comparisons between Boulder Dash, Phoenix and Blue Streak. I think my views are more typical. I consider Boulder Dash an airtime machine, but it's the setting that makes it outstanding. Phoenix does have some tamer moments that don't get pointed out much, but overall I'd call it highly intense with its forceful airtime and laterals. I've found Blue Streak to have consistently good airtime on the out run, but it seems to vary when coming back. It was a bit more impressive last year riding in the front car, but I only consider it a "good average," and not notably intense.

Phoenix isn't a coaster, it's a near death experience. Though I wonder how intense it would be with a lapbar instead of a buzzbar. On the TPR trip I was on that visited Knoebels, one rider wound up sitting on the lap of the rider next to them - though maybe it was a cover story for trying to have sex on a coaster.

Boulder Dash is intense, but based on my experiences it doesn't have the airtime of my top 4, but as observed already, the terrain aspect makes it amazing.

Wild One at SFA is one a lot of people rate, but it was Mild One when I was there, very sluggish.

one rider wound up sitting on the lap of the rider next to them - though maybe it was a cover story for trying to have sex on a coaster.

Yes it did happen, and no I wasn't thinking about sex at that moment .

Scary as it might be without a more....restraining restraint, it didn't feel unsafe to me. I think more coasters with moderate airtime deserve buzzbars.

Unlike others, I'm just happy that I've never had a bad ride on Phoenix. Cold weather, warm weather, hot weather, rain, freezing rain, morning, afternoon, night never a bad ride. I guess I just got lucky on the 100 or so rides I've had. I like being lucky.

Edited by larrygator

2013 wood poll ballot submitted. Not a whole lot of changes, as I only rode 17 wood coasters in the past twelve months. So my Top Ten isn't dramatically different from last year's:

(1. Fave Steel Coaster - GeForce)

2. Balder

3. El Toro (SFGA)

4. Boulder Dash

5. Ravine Flyer II

6. Colossos (Heide)

7. Troy

8. Thunderhead

9. El Toro (Plohn)

10. Phoenix

11. Twister (Gröna Lund)

Phoenix does have some tamer moments that don't get pointed out much, but overall I'd call it highly intense with its forceful airtime and laterals.

Phoenix's first drop, first turnaround and run to the turnaround over the station are fun but not world beating. At the end of the turn over the station you get ripped down the drop (especially in the back seat) and from then on that ride is Amazing. That last run of bunny hills is one of the most fun moments of any coaster I've ridden.

As for the Blue Streak thing... I like Blue Streak. For me it's an average or maybe slightly above average wood coaster with some decent airtime. I really enjoy Blue Streak but Phoenix blows it away.

I submitted mine today.

Top 15:

El Toro SFGAd NJ,y,n,1

Phoenix Knoebel's PA,y,n,2

Boulder Dash Lake Compounce CT,y,n,3

My Favorite Steel Anypark Anywhere **,y,n,4

Coaster Playland BC,y,y,5

Ravine Flyer II Waldameer PA,y,n,6

Tremors Silverwood ID,y,n,7

Timber Terror Silverwood ID,y,n,8

Dania Bch Hurr (S) Dania Beach FL,y,n,9

The Voyage Holiday World IN,y,n,10

Raven Holiday World IN,y,n,11

The Legend Holiday World IN,y,n,12

Renegade Valleyfair! MN,y,n,13

Thunderhead Dollywood TN,y,y,14

Apocalypse S. F. Magic Mountain CA,y,n,15

Bottom 9:

The Grizzly Great America CA,y,n,69

Rolling Thunder SFGAd NJ,y,n,70

Gwazi-Tiger Busch Gardens-Tampa FL,y,n,71

Gwazi-Lion Busch Gardens-Tampa FL,y,n,72

Pegasus Mount Olympus WI,y,n,73

Zeus Mount Olympus WI,y,n,74

Wildcat Lake Compounce CT,y,n,75

Predator Darien Lake NY,y,n,76

Rattler Fiesta Texas TX,y,n,77

Unlike others, I'm just happy that I've ever had a bad ride on Phoenix. Cold weather, warm weather, hot weather, rain, freezing rain, morning, afternoon, night never a bad ride. I guess I just got lucky on the 100 or so rides I've had. I like being lucky.

I've ridden about 200 times and I can remember a quarter of a ride that was not that great. Sucks......

I finally managed to send my 2013 ballot in!

Here's my top 10:

Balder Liseberg SE,y,n,1

My Favorite Steel Anypark Anywhere **,y,y,2

Joris en de Draak W de Efteling NL,y,y,3

Joris en de Draak V de Efteling NL,y,y,3

Kentucky Rumbler Beech Bend KY,y,n,4

Wodan TimburCoaster Europa Park DE,y,y,5

Colossos Heide Park DE,y,n,6

Raven Holiday World IN,y,n,7

White Lightning Fun Spot America FL,y,y,8

Cornball Express Indiana Beach IN,y,n,9

Tonnerre de Zeus Parc Asterix FR,y,n,10