TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Seemingly "Unsafe" or unusual events on rides

I'm having trouble believing that all these B&Ms have all these flaws that cause their restraints to constantly open. Like what goatdan said on the last page, this just isn't going to happen. All B&Ms do have a tendency to lose a "click" if you didn't get it fully down, but they are never going to fully open. In fact the clicking you hear are two seperate systems that lock in a staggard pattern. Each have 8 locking points, so if you were able to get say, 5 clicks on each side, then 10 locking points would have to fail (at the exact same moment) for the restraint to open. It's just not something that happens. And again, like goatdan had said, even if all those locks failed at once, you have the seatbelt as you final safety back up... though I doubt one has EVER been needed.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm having trouble believing that all these B&Ms have all these flaws that cause their restraints to constantly open. Like what goatdan said on the last page, this just isn't going to happen. All B&Ms do have a tendency to lose a "click" if you didn't get it fully down, but they are never going to fully open. In fact the clicking you hear are two seperate systems that lock in a staggard pattern. Each have 8 locking points, so if you were able to get say, 5 clicks on each side, then 10 locking points would have to fail (at the exact same moment) for the restraint to open. It's just not something that happens. And again, like goatdan had said, even if all those locks failed at once, you have the seatbelt as you final safety back up... though I doubt one has EVER been needed.

Off-topic, but does this mean that the old restraints from B&M have 16 locking positions?

Off-topic, but does this mean that the old restraints from B&M have 16 locking positions?

I counted on Goliath at SFFT, it clicked 13 times before it locked. So it might have 16 locking positions.

I'm having trouble believing that all these B&Ms have all these flaws that cause their restraints to constantly open. Like what goatdan said on the last page, this just isn't going to happen.

I can say with certainty that it isn't. I don't want to sound negative, but anyone who is saying that a harness opened up the entire way has one of the following things going on:

1) Wants to be dramatic about it and describe a situation that didn't happen to "one up" other people.

- or -

2) Had a "one click" normal operating issue like described earlier and imagined / remembered it differently.

All B&Ms do have a tendency to lose a "click" if you didn't get it fully down, but they are never going to fully open. In fact the clicking you hear are two seperate systems that lock in a staggard pattern. Each have 8 locking points, so if you were able to get say, 5 clicks on each side, then 10 locking points would have to fail (at the exact same moment) for the restraint to open. It's just not something that happens. And again, like goatdan had said, even if all those locks failed at once, you have the seatbelt as you final safety back up... though I doubt one has EVER been needed.

And (as I'm sure you're well aware), when those locking mechanisms work if they do in fact fail, it isn't that they unlock - they actually keep you locked permanently in your seat. I once had someone asking me about how often the locks failed and opened, and I explained that it was designed that if they failed they stayed shut, and they said it couldn't be done. I told them to walk into an arcade and look for an out of order Skee Ball, and you'll notice that it *stops dispensing balls*.

If B&Ms had serious issues with restraints failing, then the early stand ups would have had deaths on them, as they operated for a number of years without seat belts.

Goudurix. That's it.

The world's worst coaster, alledgedly? I've never been on it, but I've been on some SLC and Boomerang models. Those are OK for the most part, though they can be a bit bumpy. I didn't get to go on Ninja at SFOG, but I probably will next year.