TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your guilty pleasure ride

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have specific rides, but rather general types of rides I'd consider guilty pleasures.

Roller Coasters:

-CCI Woodies (even the rough ones)

-Mack Wild Mouse Coasters

-Vekoma Boomerangs (except the roughest installations)

-Any Schwarzkopf

-Most Arrows (especially loopers, suspended coasters, and mine trains)

Non-Coasters:

-Railroads

-Frisbees

-River Rapids

-Bumper Cars

-Pirate Ships

-Swing Rides

-Log Flumes

-Observation Towers

-Scramblers

I love old Arrows. The hypers and the loopers are some of my favorites. Gotta say, Vortex at Kings Island is a fantastic ride. Creative layout, all sorts of forces, and pleanty of inversions. I enjoyed it more than Banshee.

Skull Mountain at Great Adventure is another guilty pleasure. The last row has an incredible pop of air time. The rest of the ride is fun, fast paced, dark, and usually has some crazy music playing. Cant help but laugh at the giant pumpkin in the helix. Why is there a giant pumpkin in a mountain? Better question, why are there two? They also throw in a strobe light... during the break run. Anti-climatic, but funny.

At Great Adventure, its Skull Mountain and Blackbeard's Treasure Train. Both are a lot more fun than they would seem.

At other parks, I look for a solid collection of flats that I'd actually ride (I don't handle spinning well, so that leaves out teacups and scramblers.) I really love whips and a well put-together dark ride.

I'm a really big fan of any ride where you stand or have control of your motion. I've never had a bad experience on a stand up coaster and I greatly enjoy rotors and other similar rides. I had a chance to get a few spins on a rock-o-plane once and I fell in love. NickU up in Minnesota has Brain Surge and Shell Shock where you have a great deal of control. I find Brain Surge a wee bit dull, but on Shell Shock I've gotten over 30 flips (47 according to the ride op who felt obligated to notify me of this). After a couple in a row it gets super intense and stuff. It was fun. I reached my pinacle of motion sickness. Good times.

Good thread.

Journey into Imagination with Figment is my big guilty pleasure. I used to love the Old Mill at Kennywood until the Garfield re-theming made it intolerable. Nevertheless, I will ride just about any crappy dark ride I can find.

I love the classic log flume rides, and I almost always ride them unless the ride is very long. Both Liseberg and Djurs Sommarland have excellent log flumes.

I also have a little bit of a soft spot for Loopen at Tusenfryd. Its not too rough in the backseat. Of course it also holds somewhat of a sentimental value as it was the only major coaster in Norway from when it opened in 1988 until Thundercoaster opened in 2001. Still I would not be sad if it closed, but I always ride it when I visit the park.

Can we list rides that are not opened yet? I can almost guarantee that the new Frozen ride at EPCOT will be on my list...

Good thread.

Journey into Imagination with Figment is my big guilty pleasure. I used to love the Old Mill at Kennywood until the Garfield re-theming made it intolerable. Nevertheless, I will ride just about any crappy dark ride I can find.

Key words highlighted for you.

Good thread.

Key words highlighted for you.