TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Too much force or Not Enough?

I don't know if a topic like this exists... but if a coaster's gonna suck, is it better for it to be forceless and boring or so forceful you actually might scream (Not because it's fun!) I'm sure there are rough-as-hell coasters that are not very forceful and I'm sure there are smooth (....ish?) coasters that can cruch your knees or (wo)manhood! Yikes...

So.... too much? or none/not enough? Which one is the lesser of the two evils in your book?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think it's the forces that make a coaster uncomfortable. Generally coasters that are uncomfortable are uncomfortable because of track / train design, poor maintenance, design flaws or some other things that I'm forgetting but not excessive forces.

If a coaster had excessive G forces it would be modified before it was allowed to open or not allowed to open at all.

Am I just misunderstanding the question?

I am on the side of too much force. When I rode Speed at Oakwood in Wales, it was so intense that I got a headache just from the G's on the vertical loop alone. Despite only being able to ride it twice, it is one of my top coasters. As far as the "coasters that suck" qualifier is concerned, I'm having a hard time thinking of a coaster that sucked just because of how intense it was. That's just me, though.

I prefer somewhere in the middle of forceful and not forceful. Hydra is kind of boring because there are no forces at all and it feels like you are just gliding around but at the total opposite there is a ride like Batman The Ride or Kumba that are great coasters but so forceful, after 2 or 3 laps in a row I need to take a break and go to a less forceful coaster.

This is a bit of a tangent but it got me thinking, I rode Manta recently and thought that the Pretzel loop is verging on too forceful. Does anyone else think it's odd that B&M make rides that a lot of enthusiasts condemn for being forceless but then they go and make of of the most intense sustained elements out there. It shows that they're not afraid of G forces but begs the question why they don't include more of them more often?

Just a random thought for you all!

There's a difference between "forceful" and "rough as hell." For example, the B&M Batman clones are forceful, but they don't beat the living crap out of you; most Vekoma SLCs, on the other hand, will beat you up as much as possible.

El Toro is a forceful, airtime-filled ride; Voyage is, indeed, forceful, but the last time I rode it it left me with a headache and backache.

• 1 year later...

I choose too much force because for me, the more g-force, the better. Even though some people prefer not to be pinned to their seat, I really love it. Super-intense elements like Manta's pretzel loop and overall forceful rides like Batman clones are my kind of thing .

It bugs me a bit when some people call coaster A forceless and the complain about coaster B being too intense. I say choose one or the other.

I don't really think it's the forces that make a coaster uncomfortable. Generally coasters that are uncomfortable are uncomfortable because of track / train design, poor maintenance, design flaws or some other things that I'm forgetting but not excessive forces.

True. If a ride has one of these issues then being forceful might only make the problem more noticeable, but it's not the problem on it's own. So if you have a really rough ride, being forceful can give you headaches but if it were smooth it would be fine (BTR clones). I've never ridden a coaster I found uncomfortable because it was too forceful.

Give me forceful, very forceful. More Maverick & I305 please! Early one morning this year I got 6 rides in a row on I305 (walking around in between) I've gone 15 times in a row on Maverick. The more G's the better! I know that "normal" people get motion sickness or headaches from all the G's, but I could ride all day long.

The main problem I have with a lot of force on coasters is when that force is amplified in a negative way due to the structure of the train as it relates to how the passengers ride in it. In other words, a forceful ride with nasty OTSRs can be a real torture simply because of the way the restraints tend to batter riders. But an identical ride with a different kind of restraint can be a lot of fun because the rider isn't being battered by said restraint.

So, if I'm going to find myself flung hard into or against some part of the ride seating and restraints, then I'm not going to like forcefulness on that kind of ride. I'd much rather have a milder ride will far less force rather than one that would be painful to ride. But for a ride with seating and restraints that don't cause serious discomfort and pain, I vastly prefer a lot of force (in my case killer negative g-s, as on Skyrush, are the best).

I don't really look for forcefull or forceless coasters, i prefer the ones that make me smile the most.

But talking about G-Forces i prefer airtime over everything else, nothing beats being pulled out of my seat and flying over that hill. Big or small it all counts to me.

I think I have an interesting, different opinion on this because I have a slow heart rate. For me, many rides are too forceful for me to enjoy, because the positive G's pull the blood from my head and my heart doesn't beat quickly enough to replenish it. I dislike all Batman clones because they are way too forceful and I grey out going down the first drop and can barely see until the end of the ride! I know that I'm totally an oddball, but just remember that are ARE people out there who don't do well with strong positive G's. So yes, for me, there are few, but there are some rides that are too forceful for me to enjoy.