TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

In which specific situation did your hobby save your butt?

Hey guys!

The topic says it all: in which specific SERIOUS situation did your hobby (roller coasters, theme parks etc.) save your butt?

Let me name a few! I had to write an in-class essay last week and we had several topics where we could choose from. There was no interesting topic, BUT the question what I would do with a round-the-world ticket with 5 different stops, saved my life and grade in this case I wrote about a Disney-around-the-world trip (France, Japan, China, America). I hope my teacher likes it!

Now it's your turn! Tell us!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roller coasters and fireworks have helped out tremendously ... in college, there were quite a lot of reports - when I was out of ideas or had more pages and needed to write a certain length for credit, I found creative ways to talk about them (including my travel to Japan with roller coasters to boot) ... some of the things I said boggle my mind now looking back years ago but I got 4.0's on those ones...

On Memorial Day weekend every year, my family would always take a trip to a nice little campsite in Brimfield, Massachusetts. In 2011, we changed things up by taking a trip to California as a graduation present for my sister and so I could visit the So Cal parks. I believe it was after visiting Six Flags Magic Mountain that we learned an EF3 tornado had touched down in Southern Massachusetts. A few days later, we learned that the campsite we usually go to was directly hit. I don't think there were any fatalities reported from the campsite, but it definitely would have put a massive halt to our vacation had we chosen to go back that year; thank goodness for my roller coaster obsession.

Not really a major situation but the only thing I can think of is during bar trivia that I usually go around every other week (I have been going for years and there has never been a roller coaster question ) one of the questions that helped us win the round was "What state has the largest part of the Ozarks?" Since I knew about Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City just from reading trip reports and forums, I knew it was Missouri. I think we won a $15 gift certificate for that round (each round is 10 questions but usually the scores are close where 1 question can make the difference between winning or not).

I have two examples from College. My hobby made both very easy.

1. For my speech class, we had to make 3-5 minute speeches on anything. So naturally I picked coasters. I think I did one on the safety of coasters, how to break the fear of coasters, the emotions that one feels while on a coaster and the history of the coaster. I made an A.

2. For my newspaper class. I had to write a Front Page article so I did it over the 4 proposed parks coming to Houston. (2 of them are supposed to open in 2015 now) I still keep in contact with one of them.

I was once captured by a Mexican cartel. They hung me by my ankles in an unknown location. The only way that I was able to escape was by answering a series of amusement park related questions. I answered all of them correctly. My memory of the event is a little fuzzy, so I can't exactly remember how many questions there were, or exactly what the questions themselves were because they gave me a shot of memory loss serum, and the next thing I knew I woke up in the middle of Mexico City up against the brick wall of a restaurant off of a dirt alleyway with my hands tied behind my back with zip ties.

I believe that is probably the most serious situation, but there have been a few others as well. Like the time I was getting attacked by a Tiger, and then I remembered my previous rides on Gwazi. I remembered to stiffen up and ride defensively, and the Tiger let me be.

I was once captured by a Mexican cartel. They hung me by my ankles in an unknown location. The only way that I was able to escape was by answering a series of amusement park related questions. I answered all of them correctly. My memory of the event is a little fuzzy, so I can't exactly remember how many questions there were, or exactly what the questions themselves were because they gave me a shot of memory loss serum, and the next thing I knew I woke up in the middle of Mexico City up against the brick wall of a restaurant off of a dirt alleyway with my hands tied behind my back with zip ties.

I believe that is probably the most serious situation, but there have been a few others as well. Like the time I was getting attacked by a Tiger, and then I remembered my previous rides on Gwazi. I remembered to stiffen up and ride defensively, and the Tiger let me be.