TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Least favourite type of coaster?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first in the minority. Flying coasters.

I have yet to ride one that actually thrills me. Sure, they're fun, and Tatsu manages some good forces every now and then, but they never manage to impress me. Plus, being on one at a Six Flags park with constantly stacked trains (so, you know, all Six Flags parks) is horrible because of the pressure on my shoulder blades. On top of that, every flyer is basically the same ride. Flowing drop, pretzel loop, some inline twists, and poorly designed swooping turns.

Now, Starry Sky Ripper / Sky Scrapper looks like it would be awesome, but I've not ridden it.

I'll ride everything, but there are definitely a few types that no longer have much appeal.

Arrows in general. Most Vekomas (exceptions: GIBs, Invertigos, flyers). Most mine trains and wild mice.

I also used to be more tuned in to the unique ride experiences offered by various kiddie coasters. Now, not so much.

Plus, being on one at a Six Flags park with constantly stacked trains (so, you know, all Six Flags parks) is horrible because of the pressure on my shoulder blades.

That's what I hate about Superman Ultimate Flight at Great Adventure. You are on the brake run with your head tilted down waiting for the other train to dispatch and after a while it starts to get really uncomfortable. That is one ride where I actually prefer 1 train running so that can be avoided.

Most Vekomas (exceptions: GIB, post 2003 models, flying Dutchmans)

Stand Ups (TOGOs are especially awful)

Most Arrows (exceptions: Hyper, 4D, Lochness Monster, suspended, Gemini)

Coasters that kill your back

Vekoma Flying Dutchmen! Those things are not only uncomfortable with all your weight on those tiny restraints, but they're absolutely terrifying when they flip at the top! I feel like I'm going to fall out every time! I've ridden Firehawk and Nighthawk, and I'd have to say that Nighthawk is better because of the water and corkscrew/barrel roll/things and Firehawk's helix is vile, but I could really do without either.

Basically any "standard model" coaster that isn't a Batman clone. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

I'll also chime in for flying coasters. With the notable exception of the pretzel loop (or vertical loop on Vekomas), those things are complete and utter snooze fests. How could a collection of such major coasters be so boring? Plus there's the fact that they generally have the longest, slowest moving lines in their respective parks. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I prefer riding the Volares over the B&M's and the Vekomas. Sure they make me feel like I'm going to die...but at least I'll never fall asleep on one of them.

^ Never any knee pain here...stand-ups (for me as well) however I'm one of many that truly have a hard time fighting the 'bike seat' through multiple inversions while trying to save my balls so I have them at the end of the ride.