TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2013 Black Friday - Shopping for the holidays

larrygator

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy some stuff online, but I really try to support local businesses, especially tomorrow on "small business saturday." When you shop local, more of your money stays in your community and supports local jobs. You couldn't pay me to step foot in a big-box store on Black Friday! I already saw a video from this morning of someone getting trampled at Walmart by a guy trying to get a TV.

I buy some stuff online, but I really try to support local businesses, especially tomorrow on "small business saturday." When you shop local, more of your money stays in your community and supports local jobs. You couldn't pay me to step foot in a big-box store on Black Friday! I already saw a video from this morning of someone getting trampled at Walmart by a guy trying to get a TV.

For the first time in several years I took part in Black Friday "festivities". We were all done and cleaned up with Thanksgiving Dinner in the afternoon, so I took a drive down to my local Best Buy and stood in a queue for two hours. It was boring but when the store opened at 6 PM I was able to get in, grab what I wanted (my fresh new Wii U) and check out within several minutes.

If you're willing to be somewhat bored for a few hours, getting in the store right at opening can save you a lot of time and frustration. I could have ordered the thing online but waiting in line let me get it immediately.

How long do you think it will be before merchants go to a pay for front of the line access system at stores for Black Friday?

I'm actually surprised that some stores haven't tried something like that yet. Camping out for days and then fighting/trampling people in order to grab a cheap tv, toy or computer just seems idiotic in my mind. I wouldn't do any of that even if they were giving the stuff away for free.

I do almost all of my shopping online now although I usually make one trip to Erie to do all of my last minute shopping. My rules are that I go on a weekday as soon as I get out of work so I can hit the stores I need to and then be back on the road before 5:00 PM.

I do almost all my Black Friday shopping online. Got a couple of good deals, but most deals weren't anything special. Amy had to work today, so since she was already there she picked up some stuff. It's just not worth the all the effort and stress to save a few bucks.

How long do you think it will be before merchants go to a pay for front of the line access system at stores for Black Friday?

There are already reports of people hiring homeless people to wait in line for them at iPhone launches.

We could also strap a rickshaw on them like in Seinfeld!

Are you braving the large crowds, do you procrastinate or do you do all your shopping online?

I'm a procrastinator who will still end buying most gifts online.

AMAZON

tons of lightning deals (admittedly, a bunch for me, but have gotten a bunch of great gifts for others as well).

from the comfort of my home.

they have new deals about every 15 minutes

I didn't bother going to the stores on Thanksgiving. Best Buy was offering some of their Black Friday specials online, so I bought some $6.99 CDs with free shipping. I checked Walmart, Target, and Kmart on Friday evening but nothing caught my eye. I did buy three used XBox 360 games at Game Stop with the buy two get one free deal they had. I hate that some stores were only offering their Black Friday specials on Thursday (cough Kmart cough). It's not really Black Friday if the deals are on Thanksgiving night. I also didn't want to be part of making employees work on Thanksgiving.

^ I'm really hoping that NL1 users can upgrade for free. I pulled this off of the website under the FAQ section.

Will buyers of NoLimits 1 receive any discounts for NoLimits 2?

We cannot answer that question at this point, because it is not clear when and where NoLimits 2 will be released, and how much it will cost.

I declared that Friday was Nap Friday, and didn't leave the house all day. We did go out for Small Business Saturday and went to a Cuban restaurant, cupcake place, and a game store. Mission accomplished!

I will try to stay out of any large store until January. People are just too horrible to deal with.

dt

^That's definitely a good way to spend Black Friday!

AMAZON

tons of lightning deals (admittedly, a bunch for me, but have gotten a bunch of great gifts for others as well).

from the comfort of my home.

they have new deals about every 15 minutes

I love the Amazon lightning deals. It's pretty much the only place I shop during the holidays. They're still going on, and there's some pretty good ones!

Amazon is where I did all my Black Friday shopping. I will not go out to the stores and fight the crowds or wait in line for hours to get a doorbuster. Last Thanksgiving on the way home from dinner at my Aunt and Uncle's house, we drove by Best Buy and even 3 hours before opening the line was wrapped all the way around the building. No item was worth that line.

I shop for gifts all year and can generally find deals that are just as good as the ones as on Black Friday if not better by going to sites like SlickDeals.

My wife does most of the shopping. I only shop for a few people and I don't go out on Black Friday. Not worth it for me and I work anyway. Maybe if I didn't work I would go out to watch how crazy it is but not to shop.

I took some time off work and went down to Michigan for Thanksgiving and shopping with my girlfriend's family that lives there. Its been a few years since I last went and did the all night shopping but I noticed some big changes.

Seemed more stores opened early so the choice was dinner or shopping. We had dinner and left at 10 for our usual outlet malls and big box stores. The outlet mall was DEAD and there were no deals to be had that I couldn't get back up here in Toronto during a sale (at the stores I'd usually shop at).

The big box stores we hit (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Kohls) were pretty much picked clean by the time we got to them, but I was still able to pick up a bunch of BluRays that I wanted (only missed out on 1 or 2 from my list), including Little Mermaid (it was the only copy out of dozens in the store with a promo sticker and everywhere else had it for over $20). Also got Batman Arkham Origins for PS3, but couldn't find any more copies of Last of Us.

All in all, it was fun, but aside from games and BluRays I might just stick to dinner next time.