TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: Thanksgiving in New York City 2013!

Did you see any of the performances from the parade, or just the balloons? The Cirque du Soleil performance was pretty cool to watch!

We didn't. Like I said, we are really "parade people" so the idea of getting any more involved with it than seeing the balloons from the vantage point we did wasn't something we wanted to do. But it was really cool to be able to see the whole thing live!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool little trip report and especially fun to read since I'm going to NYC next Saturday for the day. You guys did a lot in a short amount of time!

Regarding backstage Broadway tours, is that something where you have to have connections to do so or is there a way for the average Joe to buy backstage passes? I am seeing a Broadway play next weekend and would love to do a tour.

Important question!!! How does the cupcake place you visited compare to Crumbs Bake Shop, my fav. place on the planet?

Regarding backstage Broadway tours, is that something where you have to have connections to do so or is there a way for the average Joe to buy backstage passes? I am seeing a Broadway play next weekend and would love to do a tour.

We had connections. Not sure if it's something that's openly available.

Important question!!! How does the cupcake place you visited compare to Crumbs Bake Shop, my fav. place on the planet?

I'm not a fan of Crumbs, but I'd suggest trying Molly's and see for yourself!

You guys are such great ambassadors for NYC!

I think the city should hire you for the tourist board.

Always great to see anyone enjoying the sights and activities of what we locals consider the Capital of the Universe

(such humble and plain folk we are)

Anyone planning a visit could check out NYC Go

The Offical Guide

http://www.nycgo.com/

Although there are many other sites for anyone with a particular interest, Museums, Parks, Music, Food.

Thank you for the wonderful TWO Pizzza lunch with Cupcake desert.

Fried Pizza dough is a new favorite!!!

And I love the Broadway musical / Roller Coaster comparison.

Much better than the regular theater critics.

(just one thing missing, a picture of your testicles )

I'm not a fan of Crumbs, but I'd suggest trying Molly's and see for yourself!

My brother and I happened upon this place after finishing Scott's Pizza Tour, awesome awesome cupcakes! (and their coffee wasn't too bad either)

Reading your report makes me want to put on my 'Lombardi's Original' tee-shirt, to remind me of the last time I ate there.

Someday I hope to get to see NYC in snow, because every time I've been there it's mid-summer, to coincide with TPR tours of course!

Experiencing Halloween and the Holiday season in the US is definitely there on my 'bucket list'!

I definitely need to get back to NYC if not just to do a foodie tour (and Scott's would be the first tour!). While I'm not huge on musicals, my partner is and he certainly loves him some Broadway. He hasn't seen Newsies yet, so you may have just given me a great idea for his b-day present next year!

Last time we were there we were scheduled to go see a show and that was when they all went on strike. Luckily, the off Broadway shows were playing so we got to see one of those as well as a comedy act that was interesting. This huge group of kids (probably about 10-12 yrs old) and some guardians walked in about 1/4 of the way through the set. I assumed that they were part of a school group that had came to the city to see a Broadway show, couldn't, so they then decided to bring them to this comedy show. Only problem is that the comedy was VERY raunchy and when one comic came out on the stage and saw the kids, he said "Oh f%ck...there goes my whole act down the tubes!" and then just walked off the stage!

Great TR. Our family is on the same mentality as far as holidays go. If you have a bit of flexibility it helps as far as travel goes. Good to hear Newsies is finally hitting the road. I am looking forward to seeing it when it gets here, or close to Nashville. Perhaps I can see it in LA on one of my work trips.

Good to hear Newsies is finally hitting the road. I am looking forward to seeing it when it gets here, or close to Nashville. Perhaps I can see it in LA on one of my work trips.

I read somewhere that it will be in LA for a couple of months, so your chances are good to catch it there.

The thing is, I've never had any desire to go to New York City, but seeing this actually changed my mind! Looks like a great trip, and seeing the pictures posted to the Facebook page while watching the parade on TV actually made me wonder if I'd be able to find the building where you guys were. But it looks like you guys had plenty of fun! Definitely something I'll have to do someday!

Where's Molly's Cupcakes located? I know I won't be in NYC for a while, but it's on my list of places to check out next time I go visit.

And Thanks for the TR! The parade view was pretty cool. I'd much rather watch a parade from inside.

I feel like I have committed a crime by never eating at Lombardi's all the times I've been to the city. Next month, when I'm there, I'm making it mission 1.

My recommendation - their standard Margherita pizza with a bit of extra cheese. Sooooo good!

My family and I were basically right down the road from you for the parade. We were between 64th and 63rd along Central Park West. We were crazy enough to brave the cold and the crowds for my girlfriends first time at the parade. I wonder if we can see ourselves in any of your photos, we were the ones that had our own tent! The first group got there at 0530, we got there at 0630. Was a great parade, very glad the balloons were able to fly, albeit quite low...

It's great to hear that Newsies is going on tour! I did enjoy the movie as a kid, and have been wanting to see the play. Nice to see that Evan Kasprzak is still in the show. He was a finalist on So You Think You Can Dance a few years ago. Alex Wong (another contestant) was in Newsies as well. Both are really great dancers and both were favorites of mine when they were on the show.

Thanks for the address of Molly's Cupcakes, Robb. Even though you took us all there in 2012, I could never figure out where it actually was.

So I just took a 'virtual tour' back there again using Google Streetview, and a freaky thing happens if you walk around the 3 streets on each side of Father Demo Square (and how is a triangle a Square anyway?).

The weird thing is that the season in NYC completely switches between summer and winter - check out the trees!

M1R.jpg.45f2067e5d1049c8b8326cb2125b3503.jpg

Molly's in summer

M2R.jpg.23bb6a915ab1685ea56cde7f15930b85.jpg

Now its Molly's in winter!

I feel like I have committed a crime by never eating at Lombardi's all the times I've been to the city. Next month, when I'm there, I'm making it mission 1.

My recommendation - their standard Margherita pizza with a bit of extra cheese. Sooooo good!

And get there when they open. There's practically always a line.

Yeah, some of them were REALLY low! Spider Man looked more like he was crawling on the ground! lol But that's still waaaaaaay better than if the balloons didn't fly.

Spiderman wasn't on the ground, but Ronald McDonald was ice-skating on the ground. Instead of the normal holding the balloons with the ropes, they had to keep him in the air. Was quite weird.

I'm not a musical person at all but I would really like to see Book of Mormon. I'm not a parade person either and I do like the floats but can't stand the dancing and musical numbers in between the floats. And LOL, I didn't know what a Brony was nor such a thing existed until I read this TR and googled it. I really need to visit NYC besides the stupid airport for connecting flights.