TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Norway's Viking Adventure Park delayed to 2019 or 2020

Definately wouldnt mind a theme park here on the west coast, the proposed location is only a couple of hours away. I wouldnt expect too much in the thrill department, but that is not always neccessary to have a good experience. It will definately be interesting to follow this, we are not exactly spoiled with parks in this country.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually a little disappointed by the lack of Vikings in Norway when I visited, so this seems like a great fit. In that regard, I'd liken this more towards Universal Studios Hollywood instead of DCA, as DCA initially duplicated Californian landmarks that tourists can still go and see if they're so inclined, while USH offers an in-depth look at Hollywood's film industry, which is something that most visitors to California would be interested in experiencing, but otherwise wouldn't have access to. In the same sense, tourists visiting Norway that want to get a feel for the Vikings could now do so in a venue that isn't a museum (open air (Skansen) or otherwise (Viking Ship Museum)).

And yeah, since the Vikings plundered most of Europe at some point, there's definitely plenty of theming options. From the concept art, it looks like they're going with more of a LoTR-inspired mythological look.

Sounds interesting but the first thing that comes to mind is this like theming a park about California and putting it in California?

Then again, that new park in New Caney, TX is going to be themed to Texas history. And Silver Dollar City hasn't done too badly being basically about the bat guano mining town that was actually on that spot in the 1880s. So it's not impossible if it's done really well. And really, as long as this place isn't Mount Olympus, they'll be okay.

• 9 months later...
Any announcement when they will start construction?

They are currently discussing where to locate the park. They have three alternatives and they are going to decide wich one in the beginning of november.

I still can't beilieve that i am going to get a big theme park only 15 minutes from my house

• 1 month later...

Did a little googling to see if there was any progress on this project. From the info I could find, it is still three locations up for discussion. One of the proposed locations is rather spectacular, see top left of picture below.

And here is a large version of the concept art for an awesome looking log flume.

I have to be honest, I'm not holding my breath for this project. Yes, it will be located between the second and fourth largest cities in Norway, but still were talking about very small populations on an international scale. On a positive note there are hundreds of thousands of tourists coming to the west coast of Norway in the summer season. We'll see, a theme park might work, but until we get something official I'm not expecting something really big or spectacular. Fingers crossed though, it's only a few hours drive from where I live and it would be awesome to actually have something I could call a homepark...

• 4 weeks later...
Ahhh, this must be where Malestrom is headed!

Too soon?

Can we get Anna and Elsa instead? Please please please please please please please please please please!!!!

No seriously, this is great news! Its only about a 2 hours journey from Bergen, so it will be the closest thing I've ever had to a homepark. Still kinda have my doubts about how it will turn out, but fingers crossed!

According to the parks website the park is scheduled to open spring 2018, but news articles posted in the last few days still says 2017. I'd say that 2018 sounds far more realistic, I don't see construction starting until spring next year earliest and 2 years just seems to little time to build a full amusement park.

One of the news articles included a map which I have not seen posted before. There appears to be two rollercoasters visible, but its too small to determine any details and I don't know how if its official or its still in the concept stage.

vikingland01.thumb.jpg.84e91a2d0d8d29fa0446259c9d530efd.jpg

That is definately the same layout as X-flight. Shame the picture is too small for the text to be readable. I'm not going to put too much into it yet though until anything is official, it could be that they just chose a random coaster layout to put into the map as a concept. And I stand by what I have previously said that I am somewhat skeptical if this will happen at all, and if it does I'm not expecting something spectacular based on the figures that have been given so far. We'll see, as it is now I can only be positively surprised.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just talking to a close friend of mine from that area. According to local rumors they are aiming big and wants to be the biggest park in Norway. For comparison the current biggest amusementpark in Norway is Tusenfryd. There is also talk of a waterpark. Keep in mind this is not confirmed information, but coming from a small community I find the rumors quite trustworthy. I'm of course also very excited that ITEC Entertainment is doing the designwork for the park.

Here is a link to the location on Google maps

https://goo.gl/maps/CqfP5

From what I understand there are big plans for this area. Already there is a 18-hole golf course there, I marked it with blue circle on the picture below. Red square is the location for the park. As you can see there is a lot of available land in the area so neighbours should not be a problem. The road on the right is the main road between Bergen and Stavanger, the second and fourth largest cities in Norway.

Vikinglandet.thumb.jpg.b6dda45019d74342ff4aaae7154c8818.jpg

• 3 months later...

The website has been updated, it looks like the park has gotten a namechange and will now be called "Thor’s Rike - Viking Adventure Park"

Welcome to Thor’s Rike, the largest theme park in Norway. Here you’ll find everything from thrilling rollercoasters to the experience of authentic viking raids. The park is designed by ITEC Entertainment Group, and is planned to be open by the spring of 2018.

http://vikinglandet.no/en/explore-the-park/

More concept art has been released, mostly in the video in the link above. This is a lot more specific in terms of what rides to expect. In terms of rollercoasters there is no doubt they are planning to build a wooden rollercoaster. The footage in the video is of Wood Coaster @ Knight Valley, but I would not take this as confirmation that theyre specifically planning a GCI.

I have been a bit pessimistic about this project, and I have yet to see a confirmation that the park will actually be built, but with more concept art being released theres no doubt that there is at least some kind of progress on the project and that is always exciting!

I've been doubting this project, but they keep moving forward. I really hope it becomes a reality as a park with Viking theme would be very nice to have within travel distance.

Yeah, my feeling is still "I'll believe it when I see it". However as there is progress I do find it very exciting as I might actually get a homepark in 3-4 years.