TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Gravity Group Woodie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I cannot STAND how rough it has gotten. My last visit to Holiday World was this past October for Happy Halloween Weekends. Voyage was my first ride of the day in the front seat. It was a little on the rough side, but I saw that coming, so I enjoyed the ride anyways. Later in the day I found myself in the very last row on the train. It was the worst ride I ever had since Son of Beast.

Wow. I had heard it was running better.

I may have exaggerated the experience a bit in my head. That whole day was not very fun. It was pretty cold, and I was really tired, so my riding endurance was pretty low. It was just that one ride in the back seat that I didn't like. I almost never ride back there. Every other ride I had on Voyage that day was great. Like I said before, I still love the ride.

1. Voyage: I first rode it in 2010, after it had developed a fearsome reputation, but still adored it. It has so much of what I love in a coaster: airtime, relentless speed, length, woodsy setting, innovative design and layout. The roughness was challenging, but forgivable. Will my next visit take it down a notch or 10?

2. Wooden Warrior: Adorable, smooth and comfortable airtime machine. Easily in a class with coasters three time its size rather than most of those close to its height. Not outstanding enough to be top 10 material, but it's in my top 25.

3. Boardwalk Bullet: It can be rough, and often fails to live up to its potential. But its compact nature and dives through the structure make it one of my dream layouts. On a good day, there are a couple satisfying pops of airtime.

4. Ravine Flyer II: I currently rank this just below Boardwalk Bullet. It had some decent airtime, and famously uses the terrain well. But it was not the airtime or intensity machine one might expect from many reviews. Plus, it's surprisingly brief for its style. This one seems to benefit from ideal riding conditions: nighttime, rain, multiple rides, ERT, etc.

5. Hades 360: Another one I used to love in 2010. But now I probably would rank it dead last like everyone else if I didn't still have a tiny bit of affection for that quirky parking lot tunnel.

I've been on the Voyage and Ravine Flyer II and I prefer the latter. The Voyage was fun, but it certainly did not live up to the hype. Ravine Flyer II was a perfect mix of speed and airtime for me. Ravine Flyer II also did not bash me around like the Voyage did (particularly at the final twister section right before the brake run).

I've only been on Voyage and Boardwalk Bullet. Of the two I preferred Voyage, though that was in 2006 when the ride was still new and running great. I haven't been on it since. BB was fun, but I rode it on such an extremely cold night it was very slow and barely even made it into the brakes.

I have to give my love to the zippin pippin simply because I can make it out to ride twice while on a lunch hour! The only other I have been on is Hades 360 (2nd day open) and at the time had some very good rides on it. It was sad to me to hear that it could not even last till the summer before getting unbearably rough. The zippin pippin however is still butter, only costs 1$ to ride, and has a killer ejector airtime moment just before the final brakerun. Dollar for dollar in cost per ride nothing can touch the zippin pippin!

If we are rating these coasters based on how they rode in their peak years, Voyage takes the cake. Nothing for me will ever be as epic as my first ride on it in summer '06. If we're throwing in variables such as how they ride now, I'd probably still say the Voyage actually. It needs work, sure, but it's not unrideable, and the airtime and pacing still keep it as one of my all time favorite rides.

Ravine Flyer II is my favorite wooden coaster from gravity group.

It doesn't say a lot though considering that I've only ridden Voyage, Hades 360, and Ravine Flyer 2.

The location of RF2 is just beautiful and on the visit I had to Waldameer we had a lot of re-rides!! I rode it with somewhat lower expectations due to my experience with the other GG coasters, and I was thoroughly impressed!

I'm excited to experience Grona Lund's Twister this upcoming summer.

I really liked their timber liner trains, just not on Hades 360!

I've only been on Voyage and Ravine Flyer II and Ravine Flyer is the better of the two. Voyage is technically my favorite wooden coaster and that is based on my rides during its inaugural season but Ravine Flyer delivers the goods and continues to deliver since the ride is well taken care of. I call it a mini-Voyage.

I've only rode The Voyage and I love it. Is it better than previous years? Yes. Voyage in 2010 vs Voyage in 2013 was night and day for me. Is is still rough? Yes. HW will never be able to get that ride to stay smooth over the course of the season with the way they run it. No trims + daily operation from May to August kill every bit of track work they put into it over the season.

As for the other TGG rides, while I've never rode any of them, I have to say that the best looking designs are over in China. They sure do know how to pack their rides full of airtime.

Before this summer I would have said Voyage...hands down. But I would honestly have to say that now it would be Hades, (the non-360 version), followed by Ravine Flyer II. This year when we visited HW the Voyage was so rough it single-handedly ended my riding for the rest of the day. Something Voyage had never done to me before.

Since TGG was the main designers (mostly Larry Bill) at CCI, maybe we could go ahead and add your favorite CCI coaster on here as well.

I'll go head and start.

I've rode three CCI's

The Raven, The Legend and The Boss. I would rank them in that order. After reading other peoples thoughts on CCI's, I think that The Raven has probably been they're most consistent coaster, besides Boulder Dash. I say that based on rankings (not the Golden Tickets) and how they've held up over time.

What's some of your favorite CCI's?

Here's a list of all the coasters they've designed and built.

Boss-Six Flags St. Louis

Boulder Dash-Lake Compounce

Cannonball Run-Waterville

Cheetah-Wild Adventures

Cornball Express-Indiana Beach

Cyclops-Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

Excalibur-Funtown Splashtown U.S.A.

GhostRider-Knott's Berry Farm

Great White-Morey's Piers

Hoosier Hurricane-Indiana Beach

Hurricane-Myrtle Beach Pavilion

Kingdom Coaster-Dutch Wonderland

Legend-Holiday World

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain-Indiana Beach

Medusa-Six Flags Mexico

Megafobia-Oakwood Theme Park

Mega Zeph -Six Flags New Orleans

New Mexico Rattler-Cliff's Amusement Park

Outlaw-Adventureland

Pegasus-Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

Rampage-Splash Adventure

Raven-Holiday World Wood

Shivering Timbers-Michigan's Adventure

Silver Comet -Martin's Fantasy Island

Stampida-PortAventura Park

Timber Terror-Silverwood Theme Park

Tomahawk -PortAventura Park

Tonnerre de Zeus-Parc Astérix

Tremors-Silverwood Theme Park

Twisted Twins-Kentucky Kingdom

Underground-Adventureland

Villain-Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom

Zach's Zoomer-Michigan's Adventure

Zeus-Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

Source-rcdb

Since TGG was the main designers (mostly Larry Bill) at CCI, maybe we could go ahead and add your favorite CCI coaster on here as well.

I'll go head and start.

I've rode three CCI's

The Raven, The Legend and The Boss. I would rank them in that order. After reading other peoples thoughts on CCI's, I think that The Raven has probably been they're most consistent coaster, besides Boulder Dash. I say that based on rankings (not the Golden Tickets) and how they've held up over time.

What's some of your favorite CCI's?

Here's a list of all the coasters they've designed and built.

Boss-Six Flags St. Louis

Boulder Dash-Lake Compounce

Cannonball Run-Waterville

Cheetah-Wild Adventures

Cornball Express-Indiana Beach

Cyclops-Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

Excalibur-Funtown Splashtown U.S.A.

GhostRider-Knott's Berry Farm

Great White-Morey's Piers

Hoosier Hurricane-Indiana Beach

Hurricane-Myrtle Beach Pavilion

Kingdom Coaster-Dutch Wonderland

Legend-Holiday World

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain-Indiana Beach

Medusa-Six Flags Mexico

Megafobia-Oakwood Theme Park

Mega Zeph -Six Flags New Orleans

New Mexico Rattler-Cliff's Amusement Park

Outlaw-Adventureland

Pegasus-Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

Rampage-Splash Adventure

Raven-Holiday World Wood

Shivering Timbers-Michigan's Adventure

Silver Comet -Martin's Fantasy Island

Stampida-PortAventura Park

Timber Terror-Silverwood Theme Park

Tomahawk -PortAventura Park

Tonnerre de Zeus-Parc Astérix

Tremors-Silverwood Theme Park

Twisted Twins-Kentucky Kingdom

Underground-Adventureland

Villain-Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom

Zach's Zoomer-Michigan's Adventure

Zeus-Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

Source-rcdb

If you're gonna do that then why not just start a "favorite CCI" thread. My favorite is Legend, by the way.