TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Should a Park Build a Doctor Who Themed Ride?

Why would the ride need to be based on a specific story or episode? It could be completely original. For example the Doctor has been captured and you are his companions tasked with keeping the TARDIS out of the hands of the enemy. This creates the ability to hop around time while on the run as well as letting different iconic villians pop up. It's not like they haven't all worked together against the Doctor before (Pandorica anyone?). This ultimately would allow for a preshow/post show featuring the Doctor, but no need for him inside the actual ride. A pre-show/post show can be re-recorded for regenerations, or you just somehow write a story where multiple Doctors are in the Pre/Post show like in Day of the Doctor where we see 4 different actors who played the Doctor. Not to mention that all of the Doctor Who actors still living, with the exception of Christopher Eccelston, still have a profound respect and love for the character and would be happy to be involved I'm sure.

As far as location, I would say UK makes the most sense, but I think it could work in the US if it was made. It is becoming more and more popular every year and has a wide appeal that people who aren't big fans would still find it charming and fun.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually what most of these kinds of rides do is they set up their own story that incorporates iconic moments from the franchise. Think about indiana jones and the temple of the forbidden eye. It pulls from elements of all 3 movies but it stands alone on its own adventure. The mummy attractions are the same, not really falling into the canon of the series, but it still delivers an experience that feels like "the mummy." If they were to make the ride, I think they would go that route. It would be a good nod to fans of the series without alienating those not familiar with the IP

I'm actually surprised a park hasn't jumped on the ideo of a Doctor Who considering the show's popularity, especially in the UK. I'm pretty sure the show's gained a pretty massive cult following in the states and abroad as well. Because of the time traveling nature of the show and 50 years worth of villains and baddies, it really can't be that difficult to come up with a standalone story involving the Doctor and his new traveling companions (you).

The biggest hurdle I see is the BBC not wanting to license their star show to theme parks. That actually might be why we haven't seen one yet.

Well for what I know and enjoy of the series, a dark ride of this could start at the entrance... being a large TARDIS. Then the gp proceeds into a holding area which is like the inside of the current Tardis. Stuff happens, and then everybody has to exit where they came in. But the entire room has turned and gp exit into the building and the ride itself. Then the holding area revolves back to it's starting position, and more gp enter in, etc.

The rest of it, I'll let everybody else figure out.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree it would be fun; extra bonus points if they use Paul McGann's incarnation.

While it would be nice to have an elaborate ride like Spidey, that might prove be too much money to put into such a cult product. If you are going to spend massive amounts of money for a new tricked-out dark ride and all the advertising/promo to go with it, the ROI has to be guaranteed. You'd have to confident that the ride would bring in swarms of people. Not sure you'd get that on such an endeavor stateside.

I imagine we will see Star Trek based rides reappear before we would (if) ever see Doctor Who rides.

On a side note; when thinking about possible themed rides we would like to see but have a very low probability, does anyone else want to see a dark ride themed to Buckaroo Banzai? Say, a dark ride that involves the World Crime League? Just me?

Should it be enacted? I cannot express this enough, yes! There is most definitely a fan base for it in the UK, in the USA there is a good portion of "fans", I being one. Where should such attraction be placed? I agree with others on that it should be in the UK, possibly at Alton Towers, that park has an amazing talent to make a guest feel like he or she is actually in the theme, most prevalent horror/sci-fiction genres. What kind of attraction could it be? I actually have to ideas for this, one being a movie attraction, Harry Potter or Spider Man attraction type(s), and or a launch coaster. The reason for a movie attraction, or an attraction with screens around you, is basically for the guest to feel like he or she is actually in the Tardis, or going with the Doctor on an adventure, possibly to stop the Daleks from taking over time itself. The reason for the launch coaster is that it is a coaster and it can easily use the theme. The Tardis is a vehicle which it does go at high speeds, which again could follow the Dalek idea, going through inversions, a Dalek ship, even go through the Gallifrey ruins if applicable. I would love to see this kind of attraction come to life, it would give me even more reasons to go to England .

A Doctor Who ride would have incredible scope. More than most rides do. So many environments, settings, scenarios, themes, characters and monsters. It would have to be incredibly well planned and organised for a park to pull if off decently.

I would think that a best option for the ride (without needing to keep it updated with new doctors) is to have the riders attacked by a variety of monsters and the doctor is unable to come and help and so is out of the picture for the majority of it. Maybe a film clip at the beginning/end would be suitable.

It would be very tricky to pull it off though.

Im convinced Alton Towers asked guests about this idea before TH13TEEN was constructed.

To be honest I don't think it would ever work but if it was to happen in some form I would have to belive that it would be anything other than a dark ride that would most likely end up as exciting as Antartica looks as it would be near on impossible to cater for die hard fans, casual fans and people who have no idea what it is.

-Craig

• 2 years later...

If you used the newer popular system of using mostly 3D screens and very maneuverable vehicles, that would be perfect! Whenever the Doctor regenerates or they want a new storyline, they just change the animations and programming, along with the animatronics. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any attraction for the series, because it's so popular everywhere!

Here is the best possible example of a ride like this, made in RCT3!

I certainly think it is a strong IP for the right audience... I'm not sure what park would really be able to use the IP and do it justice though--probably a best fit with Universal if they were to go that route, but I feel like they'd overlook this in favor of NBC-owned IPs and the few outside IPs they could license (like Transformers) that have significantly greater appeal to large audience. Doctor Who, while at the peak of its popularity is still a niche brand that doesn't carry the same kind of appeal that Potter, Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers and Fast & Furious do... And the proven revenue streams to back them.