TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Old, Gone Rides You'd Like To Ride - One Last Time

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as coasters and rides I've actually ridden, I'd like to be able to ride the BBW again (looks like I'm not alone on that one), the Wildcat at CP, the Laser at Dorney (since I only got to ride it one time ), the Wild One at SFA before it was re-profiled back in the late 90's (it actually had a serious pop of ejector air right before the turn-around, which was unfortunately removed in the reprofiling job), the Hurler at KD the year it opened (I remember it being quite fun back then), and Ghostrider at KBF the year it opened. I also wouldn't mind taking a spin on Flashback one more time, if only because it was such a unique coaster.

Then there are some old coasters that used to be in Ocean City, MD, way back in the very early 80's. One was a small non-inverting steel coaster that was on the boardwalk or very close to it (RCDB gives me three options, but I can only guess which one it was because I rode it at night and I don't remember the exact year), and the other was an ancient wild mouse with cars that were like bathtubs with no restraints of any kind (not even listed on RCDB). The only reason that these are significant to me is that this was at the height of my coaster phobia and it took me quite some time to get up the nerve to ride them, especially the unknown one. So this is more like " I wish I had a time machine" sort of thing, not that these coasters were anything worthwhile but just so that I could remember more (I recall more about working up the nerve and white-knuckling the rides than the coasters themselves).

Other rides I'd like to ride again are Kingdom of the Dinosaurs at KBF, Mr Toad's Wild Ride at WDW, Skull Mountain at SFA (was a very unique ride), and just in general it would be cool to be able to experience two of the regional parks I visited a few times as a kid (KD and HP) the way they were back in the early 80's (especially with KD bringing back some of the old stuff).

ExtraTERRORestial Alien Encounter at the Magic Kingdom. I loved that ride. Especially the Tim Curry robot.

Horizons at EPCOT. I always enjoyed being able to pick your simulation ride at the end. Add Journey into Imagination at EPCOT as well. There was just something unique about that ride and area.

I love to ride any of the coasters from Six Flags Astroworld one last time. I probably rode Viper so many times that my hand print was in the grass on the last turn. Hopefully. one day I can make it to Japan to get some Ultra Twister rides. I was supposed to go the last day of Astroworld operating but ended up not being able to. I regret that decision to this day. If only I could get one last ride.

I'll put in a vote for Nights in White Satin: The Trip--especially in a park where it's hot as hell, there's no shade, and you need air conditioning. But, seriously, it was a unique ride.

Edited by cfc

Looney Tunes River Run at Movie World. Back in the '90s it was one of the best dark rides anywhere outside of a Disney park.

I didn't get to ride Superman, but I did get to experience this! I thought it was hilariously cheesy but also great fun. I had no idea what I was getting into when I got on the ride, but I ended up being ...what transported through Bugg's rabbit hole from Brisbane to LA? Classic.

ExtraTerror Alien Encounter scared the sh!t out of me as a kid - because it was so believable! The ground thumping, darkness, animatronics, ...everything worked to be a perfect scare. Shame it couldn't be mimic'd at a different park.

The Gremlins ride was even better. Like a sarcastic version of the great movie ride.

My most missed ride by far is Shockwave at SFGAm. It was the first "big" coaster I ever rode, and I loved it until the end

I miss SkyWhirl at SFGAm too. Very unique! I never got a chance to ride Tidal Wave, either. Sad I missed that one also.

A few others:

Disaster Transport

Tomb Raider at KI (in it's first few years when it ran insane mode)

SOB with the loop

I really liked the Steel Phantom also. I'm not TOO upset about it, though, because I like Phantom's Revenge even better!

I'll put in a vote for Nights in White Satin: The Trip--especially in a park where it's hot as hell, there's no shade, and you need air conditioning. But, seriously, it was a unique ride.

I didn't even think of this. I have never ridden a dark ride so many times in one day as my day at HRP. The experience of the ride was incredible and impressive on every level.

As far as rides I've ridden:

Flashback-SFMM

Psyclone-SFMM

Screechin Eagle-American

Enchanted Voyage-PKI (Either original cartoon version or Smurfs version)

SOB-PKI

Bayern Curve-PKI (Simple, but so fun!!)

Racer (Backwards!)-PKI

King Cobra-PKI

Disaster Transport-CP

The Mill Race water ride (where Raptor is now)-CP

Flight Commander-PKI

Rides I didn't ride, but wish I did:

BBW-BGW

High Roller-Las Vegas

Tomb Raider-PKI

Orient Express-WOF

Even though this is not a ride but a whole a park. I would like to add the Myrtle Beach Pavilion. I am not sure what made me think of this park today, but was looking at old photos of it. It really looked like a nice little beachfront compact park with lots of classic flat rides.

I was looking at the TPR Trip Report for the closing year and was wondering why the park closed. I could not find anything or just missed it. Did anything ever happen with the property? Sorry to derail the thread a little with this question. Just seems like a better fit for the area to stay around then the failed Freestyle Park miles in from the beach.

Alien Encounter at the Magic Kingdom.

Alien Encounter's was pretty much my favorite Disney attraction to have ever existed. And Tim Curry robot was so foreboding and cool though I really wish I could have seen the Phil Hartman version. (My first time on the attraction was 1995.) Hell, the New Tommorowland was the coolest thing ever then. It is still really cool. I should add Time Keeper and Dreamflight to the list. To be fair though, Time Keeper and Dreamflight needed to be replaced and what replaced them are great attractions. Just not New Tomorrowland great.

Not a coaster, but I thought T2:3D at USH was AWESOME; I always made sure to go see it when at the park. I'm sure Minion Mayhem will be good, but T2 still held up nicely IMO. I guess you could say it had a good retro feel to it near the end.

T2 was always a great show. It was outdated and the preshow felt like a chore, but it was such a unique attraction. At least I got to relive the experience when I went to Florida though.

As for rides I'd like to relive again one more time....

As far as what I've ridden:

-Back to the Future (USH/USF)

-JAWS (USF)

-Grinch's Cave (USH) I missed the nostalgia.

-Marvel Mania restaurant (USH)

-King Kong (USH)

-Star Tours 1.0

-Hammerhead (Knott's)

-Haunted Shack (Knott's)

-Kingdom of the Dinosaurs (Knott's)

-Journey into Imagination 1.0

-Space Mountain 1.0 (DL)

-Superstar Limo (DCA)

-Disaster Transport (Ceder Point)

-PeopleMover

-Rocket Rodds

-CircleVision (DL)

-Lion King puppet show (MK)

What I've hadn't ridden that I went to relive:

-ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Enounter (MK) [Top of my list]

-Any Laff in the Dark ride

-Horizons

-Ghostbusters show (USF)

-Kongfrontation (USF)

-Adventure Thru Inner Space (DL)

-Rocket to the Moon or Mission to Mars (DL)

-Flashback (SFMM)

-World of Motion (Epcot)

-Python (Bush Gardens)

-Wild Cat (Ceder Point)

-Nights in White Stain dark ride (HRP)

Edited by Someotherguyuser

Not a coaster, but I thought T2:3D at USH was AWESOME; I always made sure to go see it when at the park. I'm sure Minion Mayhem will be good, but T2 still held up nicely IMO. I guess you could say it had a good retro feel to it near the end.

Well, you can still see it in Florida and if you want to hear it in Japanese, you can do that, too!

Well, you can still see it in Florida and if you want to hear it in Japanese, you can do that, too!

I wonder how the Japanese takes on "I'll be back" and "hasta la vista baby" sound like.

There's a few, but on thing I really miss is say Alien Encounter at the Magic Kingdom. Looking back, I'm surprised they had something like that in a Disney park - yet I could see it fit in at Epcot or Hollywood Studios. I hate the Stitch ride.

Then I'll say King Kong, Zambezi Zinger (though I think it's operating somewhere), Orient Express, and Demon Drop. I'd also love to ride Gwazi and Dragon Challenge again while they are dueling.

Of course, there are other rides that are no longer here that I haven't ridden - but I won't begin to name those.

You know, I actually kind of miss disaster transport. I mean, it wasn't the best ride in the park, especially in the Intamin department, but it was a fun little family ride with some descent theming to it. I always thought of it as Cedar Point's quirky and somewhat ghetto version of Space Mountain, and that's what made it special and made me sad to see it go.

^ Really glad I was on the very last train out. It was a fun ride (Even if it was outdated) and was nice to ride when everything else had hour plus waits.

I will have to say Big Bad Wolf. I really enjoyed everything about that ride and was a disappointment to see it go. But at least Verboten pays homage to it.

• 8 months later...
I'd say ExtraTERRORestial Alien Encounter at the Magic Kingdom, the Wacky Soapbox Racers at Knott's, World of Motion (simply because I never got to ride it in the first place) and Horizons at Epcot, the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland at Disneyland, and the Lost Dutchman Mine at the long defunct Frontier Village in San Jose, California. (I have very fond memories of that last ride from when I was a kid--particularly the skeleton miner at the end.)

Yeah, I am haunted by this ride. I must have been 4-5 when I went on it, and I desperately wish I could get one last look. I have scoured the internet for pics, and bought a DVD compiled by an enthusiast. Footage inside is extremely scarce.

I remembered a big light up snake around a tunnel, and a few years back I went to the park re-union they hold every year, and was able to verify that indeed that was one of the stunts by reading a list compiled on a blue-print.

I contacted LAFF IN THE DARK website to see if they had any more pics or footage, but they don't.

Real shame. I barely remember it, but from what everyone says and what little I can find, it was a beautiful ride.