TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

I am beyond thrilled that not only was the project approved but unanimously supported by the county. I watched 35 of the 50 testimonies for and against (mostly for) Skyplex and it was incredible just how much support was shown for the project. It actually looks like Universal's anti-Skyplex mailers played a part in residents siding with Skyplex.

I look forward to seeing this icon grown on the Orlando skyline and I am even more excited about the precedent this sets for world-class stand-alone developments like Skyplex coming to Orlando. We don't have to be Vegas to appeal to tourists, but we can have massive icons on our horizon without it looking out of place. This is the future of Orlando!

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what this class of coaster (over 500) will be? Following the trend (mega, giga, etc.), I'm pretty sure it'll be teracoaster???

Then again, seeing as this coaster will be built by Intamin (the manufacturer that seems to have broken all the recent height records), I guess we'll be going with whatever they say it is.

^No clue.

Hyper was 200 and was broken by Arrow. Then we had Giga and Strata from Intamin. Technically a lot of that marketing came jointly from Intamin and Cedar Point. They ended up referring to Maverick as a "Terracoaster" when it opened in 2007. I don't remember when the term Mega coaster was being thrown around, but I believe that sits the same as hypercoaster.

At any rate, when it comes to naming coaster classes off of the SI system, technically only Giga exists (unless you count Mega). So this new class doesn't need to be named after SI at all.

Just the fact that this is a unique project, for the moment, is what I am excited about.

Wonder what this class of coaster (over 500) will be? Following the trend (mega, giga, etc.), I'm pretty sure it'll be teracoaster???

Then again, seeing as this coaster will be built by Intamin (the manufacturer that seems to have broken all the recent height records), I guess we'll be going with whatever they say it is.

If we ascribe Metric Prefixes to heights we would get:

Mega = 200-299

Giga = 300-399

Tera(or Strata) = 400-499 (which I agree does sound like a terrain coaster)

Peta = 500-599 (This makes me think of Katniss screaming PEEEETA in the Hunger Games)

It's probably just another thing for us to fight about, so everyone pick sides and let's go cause it's off season!

I'm just gonna call it freaking awesome when it's built and scream PEEETA the whole way down.

I will feel better when the shovels hit the ground. Time to move some dirt and get this puppy built.

Agreed. I am less skeptical than I was before, but I still don't want to get my hopes up too much. I am crossing my fingers on this one!

The family wanting to build it are successful developers from Miami. I have a feeling they'll get the funding.

I will feel better when the shovels hit the ground. Time to move some dirt and get this puppy built.

Agreed. I am less skeptical than I was before, but I still don't want to get my hopes up too much. I am crossing my fingers on this one!

The family wanting to build it are successful developers from Miami. I have a feeling they'll get the funding.

That's really promising to hear, I don't know much about the specifics of the proposed funding on the project. I do know that I've seen many things "announced" that eventually fall through. I can tell you that once I see steel being erected, I will buy a plane flight to Orlando cause this coaster will be not to miss!

They're successful with a bar/restaurant in Miami called Mangos, but this is a whole other animal than that. Mangos is $50 million and this will be 10x that, it's going to be a tall order to gather up a half billion dollars. I'm optimistic about this, but they still have a long ways to go from what I understand, so I think we could be looking at a few years from ground breaking even. I could be wrong, but that's the "word on the street" so to speak. At least they made it past this major hurdle though.

I'm optimistic about this, but they still have a long ways to go from what I understand, so I think we could be looking at a few years from ground breaking even. I could be wrong, but that's the "word on the street" so to speak. At least they made it past this major hurdle though.

They have the vast majority of financing already in place, so not sure where people are getting the idea that they have a long ways to go in terms of financing this project.

I'm optimistic about this, but they still have a long ways to go from what I understand, so I think we could be looking at a few years from ground breaking even. I could be wrong, but that's the "word on the street" so to speak. At least they made it past this major hurdle though.

They have the vast majority of financing already in place, so not sure where people are getting the idea that they have a long ways to go in terms of financing this project.

I could have very well been told wrong, but I was told several big investors backed out in the last however many months. I hope they do get it going though. It seems like I've seen the price of what it will cost to build double from around $250 million earlier this year to about $500 million now.

I could have very well been told wrong, but I was told several big investors backed out in the last however many months. I hope they do get it going though. It seems like I've seen the price of what it will cost to build double from around $250 million earlier this year to about $500 million now.

Yeah, I don't know where you heard that. The project is fully backed and funded.

Edited by robbalvey

Sorry that it took me a while to post this but it's been a hectic week.

Anyway, I want to thank each and every one of you that filed out the form or emailed the OC-BCC. We could not have done it without your help.

Thank you all!!!

Also, once construction begins we will have regular updates. I'm sure Robb will point you to their location

Bob

Just a question, what could become obstacles for this project that could end it up in a thrash bin now?

We know it's:

-Fully funded

-and locally approved.

Or is it now just waiting for the day the shovel goes into the dirt? Just curious that's all.

^Mangos is a separate project owned and operated by the same group that will build, own and operate Skyplex. There is no indication as of yet that they will be connected physically, but the developers of Skyplex are investing in a set of elevated pedestrian bridges for the intersection of Sand Lake Road and International Drive to provide quick access between these four street corners while reducing the infamous traffic that plagues that block.

Mangos is set to open very soon. The next phase of the project is the construction of the parking garage next door with the rooftop restaurant. Construction on Skyplex is set to begin early next year.