TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Because they're so VERY CONCERNED about sight lines in Orlando and how a 700-foot structure will "pollute" the skyline.

If you believe that, I have a Nigerian bank account with lots of money it for you--just pay me a $5,000 finder's fee and it's yours.

My guess would be that it has to do with Universal's plans for the old Wet 'n' Wild site on I-Drive and concerns about competition.

They don't offer enough to have competition! They have a coaster and some drop towers, whoopdeedo. But Universal would beat the crowds here anyday! I would rather go to USO and visit here, and not the other way around. Even with other various attractions around, the toll would merely scratch USO's paycheck...

And they need to stop giving Skyplex crap, they know people want it (I'll bet you their employees want it, too), and yet they have to be be hypocrites!

I'd be interested in finding out how the position of Skyplex would affect the USO/IOA skyline. Is there going to be a 500 foot tower appearing behind Hogwarts and ruining the illusion? If a tower that tall were to be built that close to Disney, wouldn't they throw a fit too?

I want to see Skyplex succeed, and I definitely want to ride that coaster, but I understand USO concerns over preserving the immersive environments they've spent billions creating.

***Edit: Looking at Google Maps and drawing lines from different areas of Universal, this really doesn't look like the tower would be all that intrusive to the Universal skyline, and for the most part you would expect to see a roller coaster looking toward the Skyplex from almost anywhere in either Universal parks. I did some calculations based on sight lines and distances, and Universal could always just build a 175 ft tall wall along Hollywood Way to ensure none of their guests would ever have to see Skyplex. Seems resonable.

(Just kidding, please don't think I'm serious about my musings from beneath a foot of snow here in the midwest .)

I'd be interested in finding out how the position of Skyplex would affect the USO/IOA skyline. Is there going to be a 500 foot tower appearing behind Hogwarts and ruining the illusion? If a tower that tall were to be built that close to Disney, wouldn't they throw a fit too?

I want to see Skyplex succeed, and I definitely want to ride that coaster, but I understand USO concerns over preserving the immersive environments they've spent billions creating.

***Edit: Looking at Google Maps and drawing lines from different areas of Universal, this really doesn't look like the tower would be all that intrusive to the Universal skyline, and for the most part you would expect to see a roller coaster looking toward the Skyplex from almost anywhere in either Universal parks. I did some calculations based on sight lines and distances, and Universal could always just build a 175 ft tall wall along Hollywood Way to ensure none of their guests would ever have to see Skyplex. Seems resonable.

(Just kidding, please don't think I'm serious about my musings from beneath a foot of snow here in the midwest .)

You want solitude, you do what Disney did, buy it. Universal saw fit to build in town. Now, they need to deal with being in town. Height issues went out the door with the Eye. That genie is out of the bottle . SeaWorld can't complain as they did not ask for a higher height for Mako. Bet they wish they did. Unless Universal shows it's hand as to it's plans for Wet and Wild, others should not be prohibited in going BIG.

I don't see this as a threat to Universal. I can see it hurting a Fun Spot, but I like Fun Spot so I will spend a couple hrs there everytime I visit. I love coasters like Lightning Run that's fun and you can marathon.

I will never support stopping smaller companies from creating attractions and growing an area. This is an awesome concept that would only bring MORE business to the area, just how it works anywhere else in the world.

Sadly, I have a gut feeling with Universals strength, they may win.

Not a fan of Universals moves on this at all.

Is it just me or is this updated Intamin version the layout looks like it has been tamed majorly. In this animation the layout looks like it consist of nothing more then banked turns, outside banked turns and dive loops. What happened to the beyond vertical drops, and those crazy hairpin inverting space diver like drops that the original version had???

Watching both at the same time it is clear this version Intamin is showing the layout has been reworked and not at all for the better imo. Beside the new ending and Launched lift hill, the main layout of the coaster actually looks dull now imo.

I cand efinitely see the excitement over the LIM lift, but... I dunno, personally I think there's something to be said for the slow, nerve racking ascent up a tall tower, especially if it goes in a helix and you get a good look ALL around before the madness starts.

I cand efinitely see the excitement over the LIM lift, but... I dunno, personally I think there's something to be said for the slow, nerve racking ascent up a tall tower, especially if it goes in a helix and you get a good look ALL around before the madness starts.

I'm not a big fan of vertical lifts, myself, but I do like the idea of a rapid ascent followed by HOLY CRAP!

I see how this could hurt Universal big time. When people are coming or leaving Orlando they might hit up Universal one more time and go to something Potter and hit up City walk. This place will have a super drop tower and amazing rollercoaster plus retail.

This place will definitely hurt them b/c right now they have the best thrill rides in Orlando and this place is going to smash ride records, with limited theming and draw big crowds. All that talk about the skyline etc is bull.

I get why Universal is scared, they should be this place will be awesome!

Now this is the messed up thing about what Universal is doing now... they're reaching out to the general public who are easily persuaded. They're making bogus statements and because it's in writing from Universal these people around here going to take that and run with it. We know better because we know about the indurstry. This is sooooo messy on Universal's part smh.