TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The developer is basically saying "this is taking too long...I want to build now. K thanks. Bye."

For one, the developer has been presenting this to the I-Drive committees for well over a year, maybe two years now. They initially wanted to start construction on Skyplex after Mango's opened, which looks like it's opening next month, so I can see why they are getting a bit anxious. You make it sound as though the developer is being obnoxious, but in reality they aren't, they have been very patient for a long time.

I would think what is actually best for Orlando is to meet in the middle and think of I-drive as a giant shopping mall: anchor tenants (Universal, SkyPlex, i-drive 360, Pointe Orlando) should actually be working together to ensure all the area around them compliments them and improves the area.

The thing is, Universal wasn't even really a part of this until just recently when they announced that Wet N Wild was closing and the assumption was made that someone else would be built on that property. I agree with you that they all should be working together, and I feel that they all have UNTIL Universal got involved. I've been to some of the I-Drive meetings (I think there might be reports in this thread about it) where it was clear the I-Drive people were really on board with this whole project...until recently. I'm hopeful they still are, but it really does seem that Universal, out of the blue, has done some serious lobbying against the project, which is kind of a dick move, IMO.

Edited by robbalvey

^^I didn't mean it in an obnoxious sort of way. I just meant it in the sense that I can see the developers frustration that his anchor project is ready now while the whole official I-drive plan is still dragging its feet. Not fair to him at all if he's got the funding lined up and he's ready to build.

their biggest issue is that the developer is trying to strong-arm his way into a zoning change before the new I-drive master plan is finalized. I don't get all the comments of "Universal is being a bully, etc..." when in reality the developer is trying to bully his way into a new zoning classification to get what he wants

Show me where you have proof of any of this. I've been to some of the I-Drive meetings myself, had several one-on-one conversations with Joshua Wallack and I have seen zero evidence of what you are implying.

So unless you can back up your statement, I think this is you just making some assumptions that aren't factual at all where on the other hand, you can easily point to articles written and eyewitness reports from other people have been at these meetings that Universal has been very vocal about trying to shut down this project.

What kind of proof do you want? The developer is asking for the zoning to be changed on his piece of property that he bought full-well knowing it had height restrictions of 200-ft so he can gain an advantage over all of his neighbors and have the tallest attraction in Central Florida. So, he launches a marketing campaign to show off this amazingly tall attraction to get everyone excited to sway votes, mentions how many views said video has on YouTube (lobbying), and then puts up pretty non-professional cartoons in a zoning hearing calling Universal a bully for challenging his request. He knows the convention center overlay doesn't apply to his parcel of land which is why he has to get the variance. He's also lobbying to get people on board to convince the county to approve his plan and then says Universal is not playing fair for doing their own lobbying. He's also trying to force the vote before the I-drive master plan is complete. Universal is just saying that his property doesn't allow for structures over 200-foot and they don't think it should be changed.

What about any of that doesn't say he's trying to strong-arm his zoning request? Both sides are trying to get what they want, yet somehow only Universal is the "bad guy"? That's all I'm saying.

As I already said, I think it'd be fun to ride this thing if it ever got built. But, the developer is trying to get the rules changed for his own personal gain, Universal is trying to enforce the rules already set, yet Universal is the bully. That's what I have an issue with.

If the developer wanted to build this thing without any challenges, he should have bought property within the convention center overlay and then he could have built whatever he wanted to.

If the developer wanted to build this thing without any challenges, he should have bought property within the convention center overlay and then he could have built whatever he wanted to.

You know absolutely NOTHING about how construction projects work, do you? If you had any sort of actual knowledge with any of this, you would know just how absurd your entire response was. I will only tell you this "zoning gets changed ALL.THE.TIME. in construction projects."

Beyond that, it's not even worth my time explaining or responding any more to you.

Edited by robbalvey

I think it's sad that USO might be playing the bully in all of this. I seriously doubt that the sky plex would take away any noticeable business from City Walk or USO. City Walk has the huge convenience factor of resort guest and park goers that have to navigate through its restaurants and shops to get to the parks.

Maybe I'm oblivious from being an enthusiast but I really want this project to get done. (Because it involves a bad ass Intamin poler coaster.)

It is kind of weird, it's not like Citywalk is a Downtown Disney sort of separate entity - every single guest that parks in the big garages has to go straight through Citywalk to get to either park. All Universal Orlando guests are basically a captive audience.

It is kind of weird, it's not like Citywalk is a Downtown Disney sort of separate entity - every single guest that parks in the big garages has to go straight through Citywalk to get to either park. All Universal Orlando guests are basically a captive audience.

I think Universal's concern is that if guests see the big tower on the horizon they might head straight to their cars and drive there instead of stopping in CityWalk.

Bullying is using a position of power to influence others. SkyPlex, the new kid in town is not in a position of power so they are lobbying for change.

Now if they were using intimidating tactics, such as threatening other businesses with harm, that would be bullying.

I'm normally not into online petitions, but the Skyplex company has reached out to me to ask our readers to help them out by signing this one:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/let-skyplex-become-a-symbol-of-orlando-let

Done! And I'll be sure to share this with my friends!

I had a little issue with this run-on sentence, but signed the petition

If you are I favor of this project, and oppose corporate city buy outs, and want to start densifying the city to protect wetlands, and restrict intense development to I drive and Downtown Orlando, this would set the precedent of where the center of Orlando is, and that it is an exciting city that takes risk...the alternative is all other developers seeing proposals shot down in Orlando and deciding "let me build this in Tampa (with the beach one county over and Bush Gardens...Orlando would loose jobs, respect, tax money, and continue to spread every which way with no center to look to, to properly develop only certain areas intensely, and allow the outskirts to be peaceful.

I think Universal's concern is that if guests see the big tower on the horizon they might head straight to their cars and drive there instead of stopping in CityWalk.

That was my first guess...but Robb already clarified that it isn't visible from many places on resort property.

I was thinking . . . could it be more to this than what has been brought to the forefront involving Universal? Its like this, Universal apparently had no problem with the 300ft sky coaster, the Orlando Eye or any attraction at magical midway so why this project?

^I think that's what hurts Universal's case. They didn't claim all of those other big tall lighted attractions were light pollution. All of a sudden this one is though. I assume they view this as real potential competition with their long term plans and that's why they're fighting it so hard. I'd be flattered if I were the SkyPlex people!

I was thinking . . . could it be more to this than what has been brought to the forefront involving Universal? Its like this, Universal apparently had no problem with the 300ft sky coaster, the Orlando Eye or any attraction at magical midway so why this project?

Yes, I think you're absolutely right... there's definitely more to it than just the attraction, because this complex is much more than just a massive coaster. Universal hasn't strongly opposed the attractions you mentioned because, with the exception of I-Drive 360, they're mostly one-off attractions and not full-blown entertainment/shopping/dining complexes.

We know that Universal is closing Wet-n-Wild at the end of next year, and rumors point to them developing the space into another CityWalk type venue, with hotels/shopping/dining. Looking even farther into the future, there's also the large plot of land on Universal Blvd. behind the convention center that's being auctioned off on Nov. 18th, so if Universal wants to buy any of that land, they could also expand into that area as well. This giant 700' tower with several attractions and a dining/shopping complex below it would be direct competition to those projects, as well as the current CityWalk, whether Universal wants to publicly admit it or not. They're going with the light pollution/traffic/do more study argument to try and shut it down, but it's very likely they have ulterior motives.

I wonder if Universal will try to get Disney on board, I wonder if they even care. I can't imagine if you are the board that will say "no we do not want another tourist attraction". I'd hope they could see how transparent their light pollution argument is especially when you can see plenty of the other attraction outside their park already on Hulk, Dragon Challenge and the Dr. Doom Drop tower.

The light pollution argument is utterly Ludicrous. I can see the green skycoaster and the Pink Eye from 10-15 miles away at some points in Orlando. I can see Holy Land's permanent Christmas lights from a mile away driving on the interstate.

I can UNIVERSAL's rotating searchlights from my house, from the interstate, from everywhere practically in the area.

The Skyplex will have a dramatic positive effect on the nighttime views of orlando. What a cool tourist landmark that will be visible from miles and miles away. We have no mountains and our land is flat, so the tower would be a very cool Icon to let tourists know "Hey that must be where the action is on I-Drive, there's that Skyplex Tower". It's going to look great and I completely don't understand how they can use this as an argument against the tower.

Signed the petition.

Universal needs to realize that, had competition not existed in our market in the first place, their business would not be where it is today. Orlando's sprawling attractions corridor and it's growth year-after-year is the reason why people from all over the world choose Orlando as their destination and keep coming back.