TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it actually got a little less thrilling I think. They changed the outside-tophat into a simple 180 curve. Definitely looks smoother trackwise , especially that final zero-G. Whatever though, this thing is such a ridiculous over-the-top fantasy coaster I think most of us are just rooting for construction to start rather than nitpicking anything about the impressive layout.

I really hope it is and stays smooth, it's Intamin's first attempt at this train and track type no? Other manufacturers have been hit and miss with the euro-fighter style.

Wait, is Intamin actually using that track style? I thought they only updated the pov and didnt feel like changing the track. It would be a huge let down if thats the actual track. Intamin track is so smooooth

Wait, is Intamin actually using that track style? I thought they only updated the pov and didnt feel like changing the track. It would be a huge let down if thats the actual track. Intamin track is so smooooth

Regarding the track, never put much stock in the "literalness" of video renderings of proposed new rides.

Edited by cfc

Regarding the track, never put much stock in the "literalness" of video renderings of proposed new rides.

I didnt until blahblahson said this was intamins first attempt at that train and track style.

The car would look pretty decent for any other manufacturer, even Gerstlauer. But for Intamin it is way too closed and bulky. I'm sure their engineers won't let that happen in order to keep up the Intamin quality.

Given that Phantasialand's new coaster is using "two row SkyRush trains", I assume these two will be using the same car/train and track.

What kind of capacity is this going to have? I didn't see any renderings of block brakes so how many trains will it run? I saw a place or two where they could go but not sure.

There are three block brakes on the tower. If you need help visualizing the layout, check

on the older rendering (same layout until the last part ou of the tower).

Given that Phantasialand's new coaster is using "two row SkyRush trains", I assume these two will be using the same car/train and track.

If they come out in a couple months and say this thing's getting Skyrush trains...

If thats the case, I can only imagine the terror of going around that insane outward banked turn at 500 feet in the air.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2015/03/11/breaking-skyplex-adds-zipline-amp-group-brings-new.html

International Drive's renaissance continues with the addition of yet another new attraction, as well as the first Central Florida store of a major grocery chain. .

Josh Wallack, principal of Wallack Holdings LLC and the business mind behind Mango's Tropical Cafe Orlando, announced March 11 at the State of I-Drive event that a zipline will be the third attraction planned for the $300 million Skyplex complex, which already includes the 460-foot-tall SkyFall drop tower and the 570-foot-tall SkyScraper rollercoaster.

The announcement comes one week after Wallack revealed plans for SkyPlaza, an open-air promenade planned for the development on the northeast corner of Sand Lake Road and I-Drive. New attractions not only help boost the $50 billion tourism industry in Central Florida, but also create both temporary construction jobs and permanent jobs in the area.

Wallack said the zipline, which has yet to be named, is expected to open in 2017 with the rest of the attractions at Skyplex.

He described the cable-style attraction as having a seat for two guests that will be pulled backward 600 feet in the air to the observation deck on the Skyscraper tower. Guests will hover for a moment and then be released to travel 1,500 feet down toward the ground over the SkyPlaza.

"We are building a $100 million tower, so we wanted to try to maximize the capability of skyscraper and it's another way to do it," Wallack said. "Now we have three major rides, which will have a combo ticket available within Skyplex."

In addition, AMP Group COO Alejandro Pezzini also announced at the event that a Northeastern grocery chain, which he did not name, plans to open a 17,000-square-foot store at AMP Group's Orlando Crossing development.

Pezzini added that the store will also be the chain's hub for its Florida operations.

The new grocer joins a list of new businesses AMP Group has brought to Central Florida, including Banco do Brasil, which opened its first Central Florida branch at the end of February in the Orlando Crossings development, which has become a destination for the thousands of Latin American travelers visiting Orlando each year.

Meanwhile, Unicorp National Developments Inc. President Chuck Whittall said during the State of I-Drive event that he is eying the 500 acres of land on Universal Boulevard behind the $200 million I-Drive 360. He didn't mention any details, but it's something to watch for in the future development of the tourist corridor.

Whittall's I-Drive 360 project already has several restaurants open, but the Merlin Entertainments attractions — The Orlando Eye, Madame Tussauds and Sea Life Aquarium — are set to open May 4.

He described the cable-style attraction as having a seat for two guests that will be pulled backward 600 feet in the air to the observation deck on the Skyscraper tower. Guests will hover for a moment and then be released to travel 1,500 feet down toward the ground over the SkyPlaza.

Sounds like one of these -

www.soaringeagleziplines.com

Wow, it's amazing how much this project is evolving and developing! Looks like it will be a huge win for the Orlando area. The coaster already looked pretty sick, but now with the infusion of Intamin into the mix, I'm even more excited for the ride! Even if the layout doesn't change too drastically (though it does look like there will be some modifications), the fact is that Intamin can likely provide a smoother and better ride experience than S&S could have, especially over time. The whole complex, with the nearby Orlando Eye, just looks great.

Timing should work out good too (from our standpoint, anyway).....we have our "Orlando change jug" and associated vacation club account at our bank for a big time Orlando vacation bash at some point, including Disney (of course.....and I've never been there!), Universal, and some other stops. With our new baby in the mix, we were thinking that when she's 4 would be a perfect time to hit up the area (so she can fully have a blast at Disney!). That'd put us around 2019, so I'm confident this project will be done by then. That means a definite side trip for a spin (or three) on the world's tallest coaster!

A 600ft zipline??? That might be one of the more terrifying things I will ever do. It does however sound like another great addition to what is already going to be an amazing area. I can NOT wait to get down there and try out all these new rides once they open!!